• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dark brown as pheno?

Could the intensity or darkness of a color be a phenotype?  I grew several brown moruga plants last season. 2 particular pods (from the same plant) were very dark in color. Noticeably more than the standard color of  a brown moruga pod.

DSC00092.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

They could just have a higher quantity of cloraphyll in them making them darken more .. And gloss pods always reveal more colour than matte pods, just like photos

Chlorophyll disperses on pepper ripening in most peppers, however in green peppers and some other peppers that have unusual colours the gene that makes chloraphyll retainment exists and the green stays throughout the ripening stage.

I imagine a dark brown pepper would have some of those genes inside.

Terravexti said:
Brown pods are after all a whole lot of the red gene. So I can see that.
OK, just so I understand a little clearer. The brown is intense red to the point that it becomes brown and the dark brown is even more of what it took to make brown in the first place.
So what of the taste? Any guesses where that would go? The jump in taste from red the the browns is like day and night.
I know, grow them out and see. But sometimes it is good to have the carrot for anticipation.

CAPCOM said:
OK, just so I understand a little clearer. The brown is intense red to the point that it becomes brown and the dark brown is even more of what it took to make brown in the first place.
So what of the taste? Any guesses where that would go? The jump in taste from red the the browns is like day and night.
I know, grow them out and see. But sometimes it is good to have the carrot for anticipation.
I don't know how to account for the taste, but the coloration is a matter of science. Another explanation could be those two pods got more sunshine than the rest of the plant.

Terravexti said:
I don't know how to account for the taste, but the coloration is a matter of science. Another explanation could be those two pods got more sunshine than the rest of the plant.
Thank for your input. It wasn't due to being exposed to additional sunlight, I know that. They were colored that way over the entire surface of the pod. Usually with light caused coloration variances there is a disparity of that coloration on the shaded area of the pods.

I set one aside to grow this year and we'll see.

CAPCOM said:
Thank for your input. It wasn't due to being exposed to additional sunlight, I know that. They were colored that way over the entire surface of the pod. Usually with light caused coloration variances there is a disparity of that coloration on the shaded area of the pods.

I set one aside to grow this year and we'll see.
Curiosity is hugh driving force, keeping me growing peppers!

This is all very interesting and how about all the other combinations of ripe color and chlorophyll levels?

If you look at the peppers varieties out there it's apparent that some start out very light green (such as some bhut strains) while others are quite darker than average when unripe. If varieties were divided into those with high, medium and low chlorophyll levels - dark green, green and light green (probably oversimplified) – and then that variation was combined with the range of ripe colors from red, orange, and yellow to white (plus in-between shades like yellow-orange) this mixing could create many shades of brown and other colors.

But what do these look like and what are they called?

The reds + chlorophyll probably goes like this :
- Brown (dark) – dark green retained over red as said above by The Kraken.
- Chocolate/light brown – green over red.
- Caramel – light green over red. The immature pods of caramel Morugas and bhuts are very pale.
- Capuchino – is this a different name for caramel? Or is it something else?  There are other coffee-related names out there too.

Where do burgundy/wine colors fall? I recall that at least one burgundy strain could not be fixed because the underlying color (red-orange?) was present only when there was a certain mix of genes (heterozygous alleles). But it looks like some similarly colored peppers are now recognized strains.

What about orange + chlorophyll?
- Pretty sure some peppers termed “bronze” go here

How about yellow + chlorophyll?
- Mustard must be one, but there are several shades of yellowish peppers (orange-yellow, lemon, etc.)

Chlorophyll over white?
- This is easy - green.

To complicate things more you could add in peppers that change colors as they ripen.
How about adding purple to the mix?

Anyway, chlorophyll retention is fascinating and full of potential for fantastic phenotypes.

- Tick

I did quite a bit of research on this in past years. Unless as one thing new has cone out since then, and I'll have to try to find my source again, there are four parts to a color. Purple is entirely different and a seperate part.
you have your red/yellow. Then you have two varying the intensity, allowing for your reds and oranges and shades between, just the same as your yellows and whites and shades between. Then the green retention or not during ripening. Reds over green retention give the browns.

I found a pic of the dark phenol pod and a standard pod together. This really illustrates the contrast of the two.

20141105_235528.jpg

Back