• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

indoor Dark Room DR60 Grow Tent 2 x 2 x 4.7

I was thinking of building a grow box but I just don't have the time with work and a young family. My wife has given me the Christmas permission to look into buying a grow tent.

This is what I am thinking of getting

http://www.bustan.ca/product_detail.asp?menuID=1&SID=118&PID=1188

Anyone use these sorts of tents? I am very small scale with only about 6-10 plants per year.

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated!

i actually bought a small tent not too long ago. its 1.5wx3hx3l... for like 60 bucks you cant beat it. its the perfect size for a standard seedling tray. it even fits on my wire frame shelves.
if you're just looking to start a few plants for spring id say go for the tent, if you want to actually grow them out indoors you might want something bigger to accommodate a 400w HID light footprint later.

I just got a 5x5x7 tent for the upcoming season. I (like you) are only looking to grow seedlings until they are ready for plant out. I recently got mine, put it together and it is pretty sick. Real sturdy and keeps great temps. I would recommend looking at ebay though. Some people shy away from them, but I preach it every chance I get. I got my tent for 159 and free shipping. Most of the time you can get it for the same or cheaper from the same seller (website seller) and not pay shipping which can end up making a huge difference.

EDIT:

I just checked out the site again. I would advise two things, find another site and consider a bit larger. 150 for a 2x2 is way overpriced. You should be paying about 50 or 60 for something like that. Also, a 2x2 may work for what you are considering right now, but for a few bucks more you can get a 4x4 and have room for the future. one 72 plug tray is like 18 or 20 inches x 10 or so (I am doing this by memory), so you will really only be able to fit one plug tray. And once those babies start to grow you may get cramped. I am just saying check out a bit larger for the same or less. If the wife ok'd 150 then get the biggest bang for your buck.

http://www.ebay.com/...-All-Categories
Check them out 4x4 and 4x2 for 100-140 bucks. Cant beat it.

But basically, a grow tent is a great idea if you dont have the time to build one and I cant wait to start growing in mine.

Good luck.

Thanks for the responses guys. Probably a silly question but do I need to use the exhaust system? I'm just growing peppers.. nothing else ;)

Depends on the type of light, HID (metal halide, High pressure sodium, ect) lights put off alot of heat. If your going to use fluorescent lamps you should fine.

Although I have had good success with exhausting the total cubic feet of air every min. IE. 5x5x7=175 cubic feet of air. A 6 inch exaust fan is approx 390 cfm, I like to run it at 50% power. This works for my HID lighting.

With fluorescents, I just put a small fan on low at the top exaust port on the tent. This configuration is cheap and works good for the lower powered lighting systems.

if you are looking for a cheaper ebay tent, assuming the larger tents are build same as my small tent, i can totally vouch for the lighthouse hydro tents you see on ebay, mine is built every bit as well as my sunhut silver tent that was significantly more expensive.
i cant speak to the secret jardin tents, tho i hear they are great.

http://stores.ebay.com/gothamhydroponics/Grow-Tents-/_i.html?_fsub=2253713018&_sid=122824148&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

i dont think they sell my tent anymore tho, bummer.

if you are looking for a cheaper ebay tent, assuming the larger tents are build same as my small tent, i can totally vouch for the lighthouse hydro tents you see on ebay, mine is built every bit as well as my sunhut silver tent that was significantly more expensive.
i cant speak to the secret jardin tents, tho i hear they are great.

http://stores.ebay.c...d=p4634.c0.m322

i dont think they sell my tent anymore tho, bummer.

+1 I have a lighthouse and it is the beez kneez.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-x78-x78-MYLAR-HYDROPONICS-GROW-TENT-ROOM-6-5X6-5X6-5-FULL-HEIGHT-T008-/270877824210?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f119394d2

that 78x78x78 looks promising.

my ceiling is 79.5 how close to specs with the mylar on it do you think it is.. .LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-x78-x78-MYLAR-HYDROPONICS-GROW-TENT-ROOM-6-5X6-5X6-5-FULL-HEIGHT-T008-/270877824210?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f119394d2

that 78x78x78 looks promising.

my ceiling is 79.5 how close to specs with the mylar on it do you think it is.. .LOL

I'll be home in a few days and I'll measure mine if you don't get a response by then.

Depends on the type of light, HID (metal halide, High pressure sodium, ect) lights put off alot of heat. If your going to use fluorescent lamps you should fine.

This is a common misconception. Any HID is more efficient than any fluorescent, ie, more watts turn into light, less to heat. Fluorescents turn less watts into light and more into heat.

This is a common misconception. Any HID is more efficient than any fluorescent, ie, more watts turn into light, less to heat. Fluorescents turn less watts into light and more into heat.

In a close-to-perfectly reflective tent it doesn't even matter, ultimately it's going to translate to 400w (or whatever the wattage is) of heat anyway. But there's a huge difference between having a lit torch or a little portable heater in an enclosed space, even though they both produce the same amount of heat. The problem with HIDs is that they do "put out" temperatures that a flurescent lamp never will so they can indeed be a problem if they're not set up correctly. Don't you agree?

But yeah, HIDs are more efficient - although I'm not convinced that necessarily translates to more light thta plants can use.

HID lamps have higher surface temps than fluorescent lamps, but fluorescent lamps produce more heat.
1 btu = 1 btu, no matter the surface temperatures.

HID lamps have higher surface temps than fluorescent lamps, but fluorescent lamps produce more heat.
1 btu = 1 btu, no matter the surface temperatures.

F. produce more heat/less visible light initially, but that extra light from the HID doesn't just magically disappear over time. The average temp in the tent should be the same (more or less), regardless of whether you use a 400w HID or a 400w fluorescent. How much of the radiation is in infrared and how much is visible light - i.e. the luminous efficacy of the light source - doesn't really matter as far as the avg. temperature inside the tent goes. That's all I'm saying...

Bought it, had it delivered today. BEST PURCHASE EVER! I can keep it in the spare bedroom and not worry when guests come over because it is light proof! Keeps my peppers at 28C or 82F under the T5 lights. Thank you again all!!

Back