• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Darkb16a1's Coco+perlite soilless project !

Hi everyone,

last year I tried to grow some of my favourite chillies in a mix of coconut coir and perlite, tried to compare the results, learn from mistakes and do some experiments. Overall I'd call it quite successful and more clean than usual soil growing, and mostly with very early harvest that actually started in June and continued in ~2 week cycles until end of October.

This was the main reason for me to almost completely abandon the standard growing in soil, and fully focus on hydroponics, using coconut+perlite mix, drip irrigation and indoor growing for first 3 months continued in greenhouse (for the top plants) and/or open sky terrace once temperatures allow that for the rest.

I plan to share with you the progress of my garden, what worked and did not work so you can learn from my mistakes, and welcome any kind of question/comment !

Pictures will follow once I gather them up and publish to my web so I can link them here.

Edit:

Current setup:
- 250W Metal-Halide lamp
- rockwool or coconut Jiffy used for germination
- Coco/Perlite mix used as growing medium

Seedlings:
- pH 6,0-6,2
- EC up to 0,8 ( 400ppm)
- 1:1 ratio of coconut/perlite

2+months old plants:
- pH rather to 6,0 to avoid early flowering
- EC up to 1,2 ( 600ppm)
- 60% of coconut, 40% of perlite mix

Update - 29th April - plants are growing like crazy !!! I need to give them proper support as indoor growing does not build solid stems, and still too cold outside during night to put them into greenhouse...

29_duben_bedny.jpg

Update 15th May:

Plants are growing into the light, no more space available so have to move them outside, no matter how low the night temps are :(
15_kveten_indoor.jpg

Leaf on a leaf, not an easy job to separate them to move each box at a time
15_kveten_dzungle.jpg

Small greenhouse - approx 70 square feet, for the top plants, the rest will have to survive on full sun, strong wind and cold rain that is common here in CZ
15_kveten_cast_presunu.jpg

All "top quality" plants are in place. Basically just chinenses :) I love the taste and aroma of 7pods, the heat of Nagas, and the shape of Scorps. Now let's see whether they will give some nice harvest ! :dance: :dance: :dance:
15_kveten_presunuto.jpg

The foliage is quite impressive. Some leaves are up to 10 inches without the stem.. Habanero Mustard...
15_kveten_listy.jpg

Update 19th of July - plants looking good, nitrogen deficiency problem that occured some time ago solved - but unfortunately still dropping more flowers than I'd expect, especially the Chinenses.

19_cervenec_sklenik_rostliny.jpg

Peter pepper plant
19_cervenec_peter_pepper_kytka.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Red ripening
19_cervenec_Jolokia_red.jpg

Chupetinho is one of the plants that gives nice amount of pods
19_cervenec_chupetinho_plody.jpg

Fatalii red
19_cervenec_fatalii_red_rostlina.jpg

Habanero tasmanian - just love the color! From green to black, from black to purple, from purple to red ( still to go :-) )
19_cervenec_habanero_tasmanian.jpg

Bubba plant
19_cervenec_bubba_nedozrala.jpg

Brasileria marimbondo, lovely pods, but only so few of them :-( help, more pods needed :-)

19_cervenec_brasileria_marimbondo.jpg

7 pod - first ripe pod, look closely at the capsaicin oil :-)
19_cervenec_7podthsc_rozriznutej_kapsaicin.jpg

Back