• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Darwins on 4th Trademark Sauces by RocketMan

Finally got these puppies in the mail

2012-05-21_09-40-45_15.jpg

Will write up a whole review today once I get my work done at the brewery.

Glad to see they got there safe and sound. looking forward to your review and to make any modifications you want to get the flavors right.

RM

ok here we go

All samples were done by taking a teaspoon of sauce and eating it, no crackers, no chips, none of that, just straight sauce

And Darwin has not tasted any of these yet. Once he does I will reply to this thread with what he though and what his suggestions would be. I am just super impatient so I cracked them open before he got here.

Also remember, all of these sauces were Peruvian Influenced, so the ingredients are very remeniscent of the region of Peru and South America

First one

Darwins Black Label

Ingredients : Husk Cherries, Lucuma (peruvian fruit), Pisco, sweet potato, red onion, Rocota and Fatalii peppers

Appearance: dark orange, almost slightly brown, specs of black something or other, i am assuming black pepper although they are really really finely ground. Consistency is perfect for me, very coating, not super runny, but not chunky at all.

Smell: Sweet potato first and foremost, hints of onion, and a little bit of the tomato zing

Taste: Almost identical to the smell, until the end. Acidity from the Husk Cherries is prevalent at the finish, with fruity tropical notes to it. Go Go Pisco! I had to take another bite to pick out the fatalii's, not that that was a bad thing at all. I want to say Vanilla, but i am not exactly sure what lucuma tastes like, so that might be it.

Overall Thoughts and Suggestions : What a flavorful sauce. Medium in heat, only a 5/10 compared to the rest of Rocketmans stuff. Sweeter than I usually would go for, but I say USUALLY. This is great stuff.

Next

Darwins Red Label

Ingredients : Aji Amarillo and Red Rocoto Peppers, Red Onion, Garlic, sweet potato, and spices.

Appearance. Brighter orange than the previous sauce. Same black specs, same consistancy, as the previous sauce, only with little white thingies in it.

Smell : Ohh god I want to have sex with it. Garlic and red onion dominant. I cant pick out the spices individually yet, but I might be able to once I taste it. mild pepper aroma, but im kind of scared at what I am assuming the heat is going to be like.

Taste : Ohh boy. Pepper heaven. Rocoto very prevalent, amarillo heat there, but damnit I still cant pick out "spices". I know there is something I am missing. Onion lingering, garlic all in my mouth. A little salty. I want to make pulled and smoked beef and just slather it all over.

Overall : My 2nd favorite Rocketman Sauce. Nuff said. Heat is a 7/10 on this one. My first favorite I have not reviewed yet, because every single time I sit down to try to do it, i end up eating a little bit of it then going and making food and pouring it all over the food.

Darwins Gold Label

Ingredients : Aji Amarillo and Habanero peppers, Red Onion, Garlic, Sweet Potato, and spices

Appearance: Yellowish orange, lighter by far than the other sauces. Consistency is more runny than the others. Its a thinner sauce, but still very coating.

Smell : Habs are more dominant in this one, although I eat a lot of them, on pretty much everything i make at home, so maybe thats why i can so distinctly pick them out. Onion more than garlic. A LITTLE sweet potato, but not much

Taste: Definitely Amarillo peppers. This one is thin, mouthfeel is light, but I did get 2 seeds, or pieces of seeds in my teaspoon full. Sweet potato on the back end, with the onion throughout the whole experience. The burn on this one was different. Only a tongue burn, and it followed my tongue the whole way back and on the sides. The last one was an entire mouth burn, with a touch of the throat. This is all tongue.

Overall : I liked this one as well. Not as much as the first two, but it was a good sauce definitely. What I would really like to see in here is some cilantro. Gimmie some cilantro, maybe even some cumin in here, and ide rock the shit out of it.

wheebz when your really ready for me to tell you I'll let you know the spices your looking for. Till then
black specks in the Black Label - Vanilla Bean, you guessed it!
black specks in the Red Label - those are bits of the black seeds of the rocoto peppers that were fine enough to get through the strainer.

I always love reading your reviews Bro, you really give me a good look at what your sences are telling you about the sauce.

Looking forward to your review of the Gold Label and overall opinion and recommendations as well as Darwins.

RM

Darwin is going to give you a call today

He already threw the sauces up on Facebook saying "Soon Available" if that gives you an idea of what he thought of the sauces

Review is up for the third one.

I am going to throw a package together for you over the next week of a couple bottles of beer, which unfortunately will not be FULLY carbonated since I have to pour them out of the tap and into a bottle, and some of those Charapita peppers as well.

Great feedback wheebz, thank you. I look forward to speaking with Darwin and to getting to play with the care pack your sending this way perhaps we'll need to make a Brewers Sauce featuring your Beers and the Charapita peppers for Darwin as well.

Cheers,
RM

Sounds tasty. Hope you can seal a deal. Are you selling the recipes too? Or was that commissioned?

that is for him and darwin to work out

i think he wants you to use the kitchen we have here for a couple of them and see how they go, use our ingredients and our equipment, but you do it with your recipes

that way we can kind of get around some of the licensing issues to begin with

I am smiling so damn wide at this whole discussion.

Rocketman is such a cool-ass dude who makes sauces for family and friends as a hobby, and he is SO GENEROUS to share.
(I owe you back-pay big time).
I'm just imagining him whoopin' up some sauces in a professional kitchen, to be served in a restaurant. Wow!!!

Good Karma like this couldn't happen to a better dude!
Congrats flopobro, RM!

I was thinking the exact same thing as FD... "I love this thread". Everything about it.
When cool people network, and do stuff basically because it's fun, look what happens!

DO IT ROCKETMAN!!!

Thanks Scovie, Actually if it wasn't for the THP and all the great information available within the threads here and the GREAT people who grace them I would'nt be here. So my thanks goes out to all of you THP! I'll update here as things develop and as I can / am allowed to reveal.

Have a great week everyone.
RM

I'd work on the color of the middle one, it's not very appealing, and very important for a restaurant. Try red beet powder, which would turn it bright red w/o any taste difference. Or hibiscus.

Then you have your red, orange, yellow line-up.

Back