• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

dash 2, 2014: You're Doing It Wrong!

The story so far...

I guess we can call this my 2014 glog, but truthfully this started back in late December, 2011. That was when I started to get serious (lol) about gardening. Along with my in-ground garden of peas, tomatoes, chard, beans, squash etc., I had eight peppers planted in 5 gallon buckets, four of which I overwintered. Last year I expanded my garden (I have a REALLY cool landlord - as long as I feed his jalapeño jelly addiction). I added four 4'x8' raised beds and grew 40 pepper plants. Of those, I kept the same four from the year before and added another nine. Also, as an experiment, I started six seedlings in August to get a head start on this season.
     This brings us to today.

IMG_0011_zps23859b9b.jpg

Back row (white bucket): red habanero
Middle row: anaheim (2yo), cayenne, carolina reaper
Front row: jalapeño (2yo), corno di toro, red habanero

IMG_0012_zps0cf1b934.jpg

Big pot: chocolate habanero, chablis, giant jalapeno
Other pots: 2 caribbean red habaneros (2yo), chocolate habanero

IMG_0013_zpsc043b350.jpg

5 month old starts: Lemon drop, fatalii (x2), mustard habanero, 7 pot yellow, Numex big jim

I'm also in the process of starting WAAAY too many seeds. Most will go into the ground in spring, some will go into containers to be grown up for overwintering. 

de arbol
7 pot Chaguanas
hot paper lantern habanero
lunchbox red
prik chi faa
Numex Suave
Numex Big Jim
lemon drop
corno di toro
fatalii
cayenne
mustard habanero
caribbean red habanero
Carolina Reaper
7 pot yellow
Jamaican habanero
chocolate bhut jolokia
Trinidad scorpion CARDI
bishop's crown
Tobago scotch bonnet yellow
7 pot burgundy
Tobago seasoning

Whew! So that's where I am today. Like most growers on THP, I find deciding which peppers NOT to grow to be one of the most difficult tasks in gardening. Add to that my aversion to throwing out perfectly good pepper plants come fall, and… I need a bigger garden! Luckily I still have about 15 pints of jalapeño jelly in the basement.  :D

dash 2 said:

The way things are going, I'm going to have to fire up the Weber this weekend and roast a bunch of pods. I'm trying out a lower temp (115F instead of 125F) in my dehydrator this season, and it's really slowing things down. I think it's worth it though - my dried pods look just as brightly colored as the fresh ones. Hopefully the taste stays more intact, as well.
     My Caribbean reds are doing so well this year, that I've decided to do something crazy. The first member (with >100 posts) to post a reply to this update who has never tried a Caribbean red habanero before and is not currently growing them will receive a SFRB of them completely free of charge. The only catch is that you have to fire roast them and post a pic or video here of the finished product and let everyone know how delicious they are.
     This is completely on the honor system, so please no liars or dickheads. Disclaimer: If I don't have enough Caribbean reds to pack the box, I reserve the right to put a few TS CARDIs and Carolina Reapers in to fill the rest of the space. I just picked a heap of them today (see pic above), so the box ships tomorrow. Post here, PM me your address and kick back and wait for the mailman to bring you a little box of heaven. That's it! 
     As usual, thanks for stopping in to el jardin del dash-o dos. And good luck!
Hey dash that is a very generous offer. I think I qualify since I've never had them that I know of and definitely not growing them.

P.S. I'm not a liar or a dickhead  :P

parker49 said:
Hey dash that is a very generous offer. I think I qualify since I've never had them that I know of and definitely not growing them.

Dingdingdingdingding We have a winner! PM me your address and I'll mail them today. 

sp33d said:
Your glog is kicking ass dash....keep up the good work dude

OCD Chilehead said:
Great looking pods. Very nice grow indeed.

randyp said:
     Looks great Dash.Our midwest pods are just taking off,we will be busy pulling over the next 2 months.

AZ-Mason said:
Would jump on those pods but just got a box with some reds in the mail today. Great pulls and even greater generosity. Way to go man!

Thanks for the props, everybody. Aside from a bit of a late start this spring, this has just been a stellar pepper year for me. And I've learned so much since becoming a THP junkie (plus the year or two of lurking before I joined) that I really wanted to give something back to the community. 
     This won't be my last glog giveaway of the season, so stay tuned. (Have any of you had the misfortune of never trying jalapeño jelly? (hint hint…)

Such a nice grow you've got. Those plants are LOADED with pods!! I'm trying some CARDI's this year. The plant is very prolific but none have ripened just yet. How do like them? Cool orchids, btw!

dash 2 said:

Dingdingdingdingding We have a winner! PM me your address and I'll mail them today. 

Thanks for the props, everybody. Aside from a bit of a late start this spring, this has just been a stellar pepper year for me. And I've learned so much since becoming a THP junkie (plus the year or two of lurking before I joined) that I really wanted to give something back to the community. 
     This won't be my last glog giveaway of the season, so stay tuned. (Have any of you had the misfortune of never trying jalapeño jelly? (hint hint…)
Thanks Dash that's very cool of you to do.  i am really looking forward to trying the pods and i will definitely post pics after i roast them.

I wanted to give another huge thank you to dash for sending me this box of peppers for free.  The peppers look great and i don't know why i didn't take a picture when they first arrived to show how stuffed the box was, so you will have to take my word for it :dance: .  Below are the pictures of the peppers i made poppers out of and fire roasted on the grill.  The taste was outstanding both ways.  They certainly have some kick and are very tasty by themselves.  I used goat cheese and a cheddar blend with some bacon on top, yum.  The popper pics aren't that great but they sure tasted good.  I have only roasted peppers a few times so hopefully i cooked them long enough, i think i did.  I think i will freeze (or dehydrate) the rest of the Caribbean reds and make a sauce out of them later.  In addition to the the reds, dash also sent me two yellow scorpion cardi's and two reapers.  I used one of the cardi as a popper, that has some real good heat and flavor.  I of course also saved the seeds from that and one of the reds.  As dash suggested i am letting the reaper ripen a bit in a brown bag with some other peppers and a banana but i can't wait to try it and save the seeds to grow next year. So here are the pictures.  

20140818_174758_zpsdc43d023.jpg

20140818_175439_zpsa4180a59.jpg

20140818_181403_zpsaf6abec2.jpg

20140817_124532_zps84857006.jpg

So thanks again dash, and if he makes an offer like this again and you qualify, definitely jump all over it you won't be disappointed.

Matchstick said:
Such a nice grow you've got. Those plants are LOADED with pods!! I'm trying some CARDI's this year. The plant is very prolific but none have ripened just yet. How do like them? Cool orchids, btw!

Thanks, Matchstick! So far, I like the CARDI a lot. It seems to have a really mild chinense flavor and a good, distinct "yellow" flavor. Really subdued floral tastes/smells, and not perfumey at all. I like the dried flakes a LOT!
     My wife and I bought the orchids as a complete impulse buy at Home Despot years ago. I can get them to flower about every other year.

AZ-Mason said:
Never tried any jelly at all! But jalapeño jelly sounds amazing. Keep it up and keep growin strong!

Have I got a recipe for you! Are you growing jalapeños or fresnos (or serranos) this year?...

parker49 said:
I wanted to give another huge thank you to dash for sending me this box of peppers for free.  The peppers look great and i don't know why i didn't take a picture when they first arrived to show how stuffed the box was, so you will have to take my word for it :dance: .  Below are the pictures of the peppers i made poppers out of and fire roasted on the grill.  The taste was outstanding both ways.  They certainly have some kick and are very tasty by themselves.  I used goat cheese and a cheddar blend with some bacon on top, yum.  The popper pics aren't that great but they sure tasted good.  I have only roasted peppers a few times so hopefully i cooked them long enough, i think i did.  I think i will freeze (or dehydrate) the rest of the Caribbean reds and make a sauce out of them later.  In addition to the the reds, dash also sent me two yellow scorpion cardi's and two reapers.  I used one of the cardi as a popper, that has some real good heat and flavor.  I of course also saved the seeds from that and one of the reds.  As dash suggested i am letting the reaper ripen a bit in a brown bag with some other peppers and a banana but i can't wait to try it and save the seeds to grow next year. So here are the pictures.  

20140818_175439_zpsa4180a59.jpg

20140817_124532_zps84857006.jpg

So thanks again dash, and if he makes an offer like this again and you qualify, definitely jump all over it you won't be disappointed.

Man those poppers look GUD! (Kind of in a "a face only a mother could love" kind of a way, but f**king awesome nonetheless.) That goat cheese and sharp cheddar combo, I've found, is pretty much amazing on really hot peppers. The creaminess of the goat cheese and the bite of the cheddar are a habanero's best friend. I gotta try that on a CARDI!
     Your roasted peppers look great! I tend to let mine get a little blacker than that, but you'll have no trouble getting a face-full of that sweet, carmelly habanero flavor with what you have there. If you need a recipe to use some of them, I'll post my Puerto Rican beans recipe. It's a great dish that showcases habs as one of the main flavors.
     I think drying a portion of the ones you have left is a good idea. The flavor mellows out soooooo much when they are dried. All you can taste is sweet, fruity heat. They're like hot Crunchberries!
     Thanks for posting pics of what you've been doing with the pods. I'm glad they went to a good home! Keep getting creative with them and let me know what else becomes of my babies. I really like the CARDI popper idea - I'm making those this weekend for sure!

edit: Just noticed the ramekin of bacon grease in the popper photo. Saving bacon grease makes you an awesome person by default. :party:  My produce couldn't have gone to a better home!

Yeah, I have jalapeños growing! No fruit yet, all late starts. PM me the recipe so I can find it easier later on? Sounds amazing.

dash 2 said:

Thanks, Matchstick! So far, I like the CARDI a lot. It seems to have a really mild chinense flavor and a good, distinct "yellow" flavor. Really subdued floral tastes/smells, and not perfumey at all. I like the dried flakes a LOT!
     My wife and I bought the orchids as a complete impulse buy at Home Despot years ago. I can get them to flower about every other year.

Have I got a recipe for you! Are you growing jalapeños or fresnos (or serranos) this year?...

Man those poppers look GUD! (Kind of in a "a face only a mother could love" kind of a way, but f**king awesome nonetheless.) That goat cheese and sharp cheddar combo, I've found, is pretty much amazing on really hot peppers. The creaminess of the goat cheese and the bite of the cheddar are a habanero's best friend. I gotta try that on a CARDI!
     Your roasted peppers look great! I tend to let mine get a little blacker than that, but you'll have no trouble getting a face-full of that sweet, carmelly habanero flavor with what you have there. If you need a recipe to use some of them, I'll post my Puerto Rican beans recipe. It's a great dish that showcases habs as one of the main flavors.
     I think drying a portion of the ones you have left is a good idea. The flavor mellows out soooooo much when they are dried. All you can taste is sweet, fruity heat. They're like hot Crunchberries!
     Thanks for posting pics of what you've been doing with the pods. I'm glad they went to a good home! Keep getting creative with them and let me know what else becomes of my babies. I really like the CARDI popper idea - I'm making those this weekend for sure!

edit: Just noticed the ramekin of bacon grease in the popper photo. Saving bacon grease makes you an awesome person by default. :party:  My produce couldn't have gone to a better home!
Yeah the poppers (well the peppers did too but you know) kicked ass, i will definitely do those again. Hahaha, crunchberries, i love me some crunchberries. The fact that you recognized my awesomeness speaks to the awesomeness of you kind sir  :surprised:

i think i am going to make a hot sauce out of the rest of them, for now they are freezing but i will let you know how it goes.

dash 2 said:

That's good to hear about the CARDI, I really am looking forward to trying it out. I'm just playing the waiting game for pods to ripen.. I was given an orchid from my grandmother early this year when she downsized from her house to an apartment. I know very little about them but best I can tell is it's a purple Phalaenopsis. That's interesting that you mention it only blooms every other year. When I first got it (late March, i think), it was in bloom. Shortly after, the flowers dropped and the plant seemed to idle until a few weeks ago and it started budding. Right now it's in full bloom with probably a dozen flowers. We could easily have different varieties but the flower shapes look somewhat similar. I won't even pretend to know anything about orchids lol, I just thought it was interesting that yours flower so infrequently. Do you know the variety or sub-class?

AZ-Mason said:
Yeah, I have jalapeños growing! No fruit yet, all late starts. PM me the recipe so I can find it easier later on? Sounds amazing.

No problem. I definitely get the recipe to you in time to make jelly. I looked and looked but never found a recipe that only called for jalapeños. They all called for bell peppers, a little jalapeño and a bunch of food coloring. crap. So I tweaked a recipe and made it my own. I can't remember the exact ratios of vinegar and sugar, but I know that it calls for like a pound of red ripe jalapeños per batch. It's like getting punched in the face by Mike Tyson, if he was a jalapeño.

Matchstick said:

That's good to hear about the CARDI, I really am looking forward to trying it out. I'm just playing the waiting game for pods to ripen.. I was given an orchid from my grandmother early this year when she downsized from her house to an apartment. I know very little about them but best I can tell is it's a purple Phalaenopsis. That's interesting that you mention it only blooms every other year. When I first got it (late March, i think), it was in bloom. Shortly after, the flowers dropped and the plant seemed to idle until a few weeks ago and it started budding. Right now it's in full bloom with probably a dozen flowers. We could easily have different varieties but the flower shapes look somewhat similar. I won't even pretend to know anything about orchids lol, I just thought it was interesting that yours flower so infrequently. Do you know the variety or sub-class?

I'm almost positive they're both phaelenopsis, but that's all I know. The pinkish yellow one used to bloom every winter, like clockwork. I had it on a table under a fluoro lamp that I used when I got up for work at about 5 am. I know their blooming is linked to light/dark cycles, and I think having that lamp on it for just the right amount of time every day did the thing.
     Now they're in a bright, south facing window where they get bright indirect light all day. So I think that might have something to do with their finickiness.
     After yours flowers do you remove the stem? I've heard that if you leave a few nodes worth of it, the plant will send out new flower shoots from each node. And the stem will get bigger year after year. I haven't tried it yet (always just assumed it was dead weight and cut it all off  :doh: ), but I saw the effects of doing so in a monster phaelenopsis that the owner of a local ice cream shop has in his store. He counted 96 (open) blossoms, and more buds!

And now, on to the update...

"Not Yellow" 7 pot tipping over from the weight of pods.
IMG_0112_zpsf3c4f055.jpg

Numex Suave all podded up. I love these peppers. Really meaty and crunchy. Great red habanero flavor with ZERO heat. 
IMG_0114_zps5184eabd.jpg

TS CARDI. Not the most pods, but pretty nonetheless.
IMG_0117_zps7ea1ec58.jpg

Closeup of CARDI pod. I can't believe how consistently well formed these pods are. They've all looked the same from day one! BOOOORING!  :rolleyes:
IMG_0120_zpsfd17f797.jpg

Here's the token Caribbean red pic. I need to get a shot of the stem on these sometime. Quercus macrocarpa...
IMG_0121_zps730de307.jpg

Prik chi faa. Quickly becoming one of my favorites. I think 3/4 of the weight of this plant is pods. They took forever to ripen, but they're really starting to turn now. Sweet, pretty hot and great flavor!
IMG_0123_zps8ba48a0f.jpg

Brazillian starfish. Took its time podding up, but making up for it in quantity and flavor!
IMG_0124_zps7332e348.jpg

Here are some shots of my raised beds and containers. 

First up, my OW bed on the right. My reaper is the 4' tall hedge on the left side of the right bed.
IMG_0125_zps219b16f5.jpg

More plants in my other two beds.
IMG_0126_zpsc9b15a4a.jpg

All together now!  
IMG_0127_zps9cf8455f.jpg

Could I get a bump? I have one more awesome pic!

ikeepfish said:

Thanks, Rich! Your seeds are drying nicely and, with any luck, should be in the mail before the weekend.

And finally, the money shot. I can't believe how productive the garden is this year. I'm filling a paper grocery bag 3/4 full of peppers about every five days!
IMG_0129_zpsf208b2d0.jpg

As usual, folks, thanks for stopping by. Stay tuned, I'm gong to be posting some pics of what I'm doing with all these pods in the weeks to come. Jalapeño jelly, roasted habs and Big Jims, pickled peppers, pepper oil… Lots to see here soon. I just wish you all could smell it!
     Take care, all and here's to pepper growing weather!  :cheers:

Back