• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse Dashboard greenhouse

Hello all. So this is my first post here. Brand new to the forum. Its February in New York (Long Island to be exact) and the winter has been so mild I thought I would try getting my pepper plants started early. So I sprouted 6 plants in my basement over a 25 watt light for warmth and once they got going, every morning when I go to work I take them along. My car gets full sun through the day and the interior of the car even on a cold day gets at least into the high 60's to low 80's. I put the tray of plants on the dashboard with a slight tilt and they get crazy sun. THis is my first year of dashboard greenhouse but so far I have to say I recommend the method. I hope to have plants that are bearing fruit in early may if all goes well. The huge benefit is that there is so much intense light that there is no legginess. I will update as time goes on. If it goes well I may have to get a bigger car.

Hello all. So this is my first post here. Brand new to the forum. Its February in New York (Long Island to be exact) and the winter has been so mild I thought I would try getting my pepper plants started early. So I sprouted 6 plants in my basement over a 25 watt light for warmth and once they got going, every morning when I go to work I take them along. My car gets full sun through the day and the interior of the car even on a cold day gets at least into the high 60's to low 80's. I put the tray of plants on the dashboard with a slight tilt and they get crazy sun. THis is my first year of dashboard greenhouse but so far I have to say I recommend the method. I hope to have plants that are bearing fruit in early may if all goes well. The huge benefit is that there is so much intense light that there is no legginess. I will update as time goes on. If it goes well I may have to get a bigger car.

You should really take a pic of this and throw it on the ghetto grow gear thread! Great idea!

That's awesome - you take the babies to work!
:welcome: to the forum, from Oregon!

That's awesome - you take the babies to work!
:welcome: to the forum, from Oregon!
Yes, and I am trying to convince management to have a "Bring your pepper plants to work" day.

Another example of a good idea inevitably causing my wife to shake her head.
Funny you should say that. She does it every morning when I take them out there. I also spend lunch time in my car relaxing and spending quality time with the little ones.

Thats awesome. Bonus points for pics!
Pics to come soon. Hopefully on the weekend.

Nice idea on the dashboard green house! I seem to remember something similar on "Pimp My Ride" with an AMC Pacer and some wheatgrass...

OK, here it goes. I will try and post the pics now. Hopefully it works.

PeppersFromOut2.jpg

On the left are my new tomato sprouts, and my week and a half old cabbages. On the right are my 2 and a half week old tomatoes. Taking the all important center position are my Thai Dragons (the shorter ones) and my mini bell peppers (the tall ones).

PeppersFromOut1.jpg

PeppersInCar.jpg

I just started my second round of pepper seeds and they should sprout in the next day or so

That is just totaly cool! Now if I can just figure out how to keep a green house while I'm at boot camp.... Ok so that might just be wishfull thinking :)

Great idea! What happens when they get bigger and don't fit on the dashboard anymore? I suppose you could move them to the seat. Also, watch out for those random hot spring days - you gotta open a window or your babies will be toast!

Back