• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Datil do's & don'ts?

Every other plant is doin great so far, but for the life of me I can't get the datils to do anything.. got one left out of the seed pack and its about an inch tall :S

Do they need a very specific environment? Any infos greatly appreciated, as I was lookin forward to this plant more than any. and if anyone has any seeds theyd part with for a few bucks i'd like to throw a couple in the hydroponic setup and see how it goes.

I had trouble years back and then learned that there are a lot of bad datil seeds being sold/traded, and I was advised to get seeds directly from St. Augustine Florida

Kato sent me some a few years back thats what I am using except this year I am trying the Red Datil Hybred thats the one going slow I didnt do any of the traditional Datils so hopefully I can get it to go

yea i'd heard the same, I actually got these seeds from florida, some yellow datils.. the ones that lived grew one set of leaves and did nothing for a long time then the leaves fall off and they die. sadly i used the little jiffy peat starters /noob :(
the one thats left has 2 sets of leaves haha.. guess its a start! that hybrid sounds interesting let me know how it goes.

If it's not genetic it could be soil pH, if you have a pH meter, test the soil pH and if you can, conductivity as well.

other than that, might be a nutrient problem.

I got some yellow datil seeds from sombody here, and while they sprouted just fine, they died off rather quickly... :(

I'll probably try them again, just am concentrating on getting the 7-pot/Scorps going first. :)

this is my first year on peppers, and using dirt.. im growin white habs, black princes, bhut jolokia, fatalii, and just got some purple tiger seeds for hydroponic. not sure the nagas are actually nagas, the seeds sprout in a week and are growing faster than any of the other plants, and i've heard they're supposed to take a long time to sprout and grow slow.

The datals I grew last year took forever to grow and produce...I don't think I picked a single pepper until late September or so and the seeds were started about February...

I have had very bad germination rates both years. This year, I only have one or two that are growing.....slowly, ever so slowly....

Datils have always been a bit different growing compared to the other chinense varieties. I too experience the leaf curl which I attribute to genetics. They also seem a bit slow to take off. I've got one that I overwintered and it is starting to make progress. I will post a photo later when I get time.

I can't speak from starting from seed as the last one I grew was from a transplant from chileplants.com. It grew as well as my other plants at the time and it produced ripe peppers by the middle of September if I recall correctly. It was transplanted the first week in June.

I had the standard red variety. I did save seeds from it, I just didn't have room for it this season.

Snowman

I've got a overwintered Datil plant producing tons of pods ATM. I received seed last year and also had a very hard time germinating seedlings and most of them had that curly leaf and got ditched. But one did grow normal and is producing good seed because I started offspring and all did fine this year. Some plants are like that you just have to start many before you get one good mother plant. I'll get a pic of my Datil plant up over the weekend.

St. Augustine Datil 2nd year plant with ripening pods. There are well over 100 nice pods on this plant late May, was a huge producer last year. Taste is fruity and hot. One of my go to chiles.
IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

I actually got my plant from St.A. last year and had no luck.I overwintered it,but it died this spring.I have another now,it's 1' tall,lookin ok.One thing I've been told is they don't like wet feet.
Try a very fast drying soil mix.

Back