• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Datil's 2017 - Nagaland, Mexico and beyond

Thought it was about time to start my first ever glog here :)
I'm very lazy and too busy to update it properly but i'll do my best.
This year i'm making an extra effort to keep the list tight and grow what i really like taste-wise, just a couple 'experiments'.

Here's what i've sowed so far (some seedlings already up):

- Myanmar Naga (landrace Burmese Naga pheno courtesy of Grant/JungleRain)
- Bih Jolokia Improved Light Green (originally from Frontal Agritech, courtesy of Chris Phillips)
- Yellow Bhut (scored on THP i forgot from whom... hoping is a true to form gnarly pheno or it will meet the axe LOL)
- Bhut Jolokia CPI (original release courtesy of Chris Phillips)
- Sonoran Chiltepin (wild landrace by narom8)
- Tamaulipas Chiltepin (landrace by Gary/windchicken)
- Chilito de Simojovel (landrace pequin from Peter/semillas)
- Forbing Naga (Red Nagabrain off-pheno by Gary/windchicken - see his thread)
- Madballz 7 2012 ('vintage' seeds by meatfreak, hope they will make it)
- Armageddon (originally from Vladan/Rainbow Chili Seeds, courtesy of Bjarne the BOC guy)

- Florida Wild Bird (OW)
- Bhut Jolokia OM (OW - from the dreaded italian OrtoMio brand, purchased as a live plant surprisingly true to form)

I may add or ditch something but the list will remain short this year :)
A special thanks to every THP brother that sent me seeds in the last years. I realized that it make no more sense to me to accumulate shitloads of them. Stock get old and loose viability sadly so i will probably make a list and gift to who's interested and have entire fields to dedicate...
I'll drop some pics later.

Thanks for reading

Datil

Datil said:

Hey Gary! I've always been curious about new mexican chiles but never growed one. I've noticed that texas and mexican chiles grow very well in my climate so i may give numex a try. You're so lucky having them available in local stores / markets :)
Nice to know you're further selecting Forbing Naga, giant naga pods with plenty heat sound great!
Chinense had very hard time growing properly in my garden this year, this is probably related to the fact they're more sensitive about soil / ph (they share their space with my giant hedge and tons of falling leaves) or some kind of critter.
As you see tepins and pequins apparently don't care. Same trend two seasons ago on a few test plants (was my first year there).
I will further scale back peppers in the next season and may devote to flavor (favorite annuums and maybe a couple frutescens).

Be well

F

For you, my friend, I will send actual pods of my very best dried red New Mexico Chile, which are far superior to those available in the stores...

Sorry about your C. chinense plants. I agree, they do seem to be fussier about soil, and sunlight, as well. For years I have been toying with the fantasy of growing C. annuum exclusively, however, very recently I have decided to always grow an even mix of C. chinense and C. annuum, even though, like you, I greatly prefer the flavor of dried red C. annuum. The reason being that C. chinense seems to do much better in a very rainy summer, as we are having in Louisiana this year. That way I can hedge my bets...Whether the summer turns out "tropical," like the Summer of 2017, or "desert," like most every other summer, I will have some plants that produce well....

windchicken said:

For you, my friend, I will send actual pods of my very best dried red New Mexico Chile, which are far superior to those available in the stores...

Sorry about your C. chinense plants. I agree, they do seem to be fussier about soil, and sunlight, as well. For years I have been toying with the fantasy of growing C. annuum exclusively, however, very recently I have decided to always grow an even mix of C. chinense and C. annuum, even though, like you, I greatly prefer the flavor of dried red C. annuum. The reason being that C. chinense seems to do much better in a very rainy summer, as we are having in Louisiana this year. That way I can hedge my bets...Whether the summer turns out "tropical," like the Summer of 2017, or "desert," like most every other summer, I will have some plants that produce well....
You're too kind brother Gary!
I will hugely appreciate a sample of your dried numex!!
You're right about rain that's why i think pH issues... We had ZERO rain this summer and plants got a strict diet of tap water... I'm thinking about a small setup to collect rain water from the roof, we'll see.
Keep on rocking those chinenses, that's what thp folks rave about :D

Take care!

F

You mentioned the Thai pepper above in a paste. Last year I grew the Large Orange Thai and the wife fell in love with it. Both fresh and dried. So easy to work with and if you want it really hot just add more. She uses it in everything. The really cool thing is they grow really well here all season. For us that's a major plus ;)

Those evil looking pods you have there are pain makers!

Keep it green Fabrizio!

Devv said:
You mentioned the Thai pepper above in a paste. Last year I grew the Large Orange Thai and the wife fell in love with it. Both fresh and dried. So easy to work with and if you want it really hot just add more. She uses it in everything. The really cool thing is they grow really well here all season. For us that's a major plus ;)

Those evil looking pods you have there are pain makers!

Keep it green Fabrizio!

Thanks for the suggestion Scott!
I've grown the 'standard' Thai Orange (originally from SSE) which is smaller and hotter and produce like crazy as well; flavor is very nice too. I believe that every thai type may do very well in my environment.
I'll let you know further about the pain bringed by the few supehot i'm going to harvest :)

F

Back