• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

DC balcony sauces

Here's the first for the year. 8 large jalapeños ( bought from my farm stand, mine never do well), 3 fatalis, 1/2 gala apple, 1/4 onion, little chopped ginger. In the pot with water for about an hour.

image.jpg

Blended, back in pot with salt, pepper, juice of 1 lime and 1/2 lemon, 1/2 teaspoon of turbinado sugar.

View attachment 28034

It's a little raw, cooking down and will play with the seasonings. May need a little vinaiger. I'm surprised the fatalis didn't fire it up more. For the THP crowd I would call this a happy medium heat.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 75
Alynne said:
Second ferment. All of my yellow fatalis, yellow Hungarians, garlic and 1/2 a peach. Started last night and is already healthy looking.
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

Alynne said:
Red ferment. Cayenne, fish, goat weed, 3 Trinidad scorpion, 1 reaper and a bunch of different red bells from the farmers market, 1/2 carrot, 3 cloves garlic, 1/2 super sweet onion, 1 tsp pink salt and a little spring water.
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
2 questions. I didn't weigh it down because in the other ferment the weight sank to the bottom in less than a week. They are also in fidos and look great.
I have a cabbage leaf and could add that but worry that the leaf poking out will promote nasties. I did think it would be fuller.
Am I good? Probably have a day or so to make a change, but otherwise planning on letting it sit for about 60 days.
The first, white hab and mango is set to be my Halloween project.
These were started in late September and early October. Here they are today ready to be processed. I am so excited!

image.jpeg

The red is first. Looking for something like Scorned Woman but we'll see. My initial thought was to add garlic and lots of black pepper. But, haven't opened yet. That may change things. It's been aging 5 months.

Goes to show what you can do from a balcony in DC!  Or LA or NY for that matter! haha.

That Fatalii sauce looks killer!  I know you started these  back in October, so thanks for coming back and updating the thread!  I have a Tabasco and a Hab ferment that I have been too busy to process going over 90+ days.

Thanks for sharing Alynne!

Back