• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Dead Chile De ARBOL

I was growing a Chile De Arbol plant in a tall shotglass, it was about 2 inches tall and rapidly growing. I watered it regurally, never letting the soil go dry. It was nice and green before i wen to bed, then when i woke up....DEAD :cry: ..... ANYONE KNOW WHY?

so... dont water often? let soil go dry? i didnt throw out the plant and it looks like it is starting to come back.

no real way to know other than the usual causes...of which root rot/damping off is a major cause of young plant death...

pictures would really help...

totally off the subject but I see you are in Pensacola and are a musician....I graduated from Tate in 67' and have a good friend, Ronny Miller with "The Southern Breeze Band"...do you know him?

I come back home several times a year...

Yes, making sure the soil is dry between waterings is a must. I learned that lesson the hard way a few months back when I lost two otherwise healthy De Arbolsto root rot. The cause turned out to be the cheap pots with epically bad drainage, and after moving my remaining plants to pots with better drainage, they were fine.

you know, I was thinking...just saying the soil is too dry or too wet doesn't say much and I am guilty of that too....

however, the best way to know when your plant needs water is to let it start to sag a little, then water it...it may take half a day or half a week before watering...

the shot glass you said you were growing in does not drain....you have to have drain holes in the container to let it drain...remember, plants are air breathers even through their roots so you want the soil moist but not sopping wet...

after you decide on the appropriate (for your case) container, just feel the weight of the container and it's contents including the plant before watering and after watering....this will let you know by a simple feel whether your plants need/want water/food....

Back