• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dealing with rabbits...

So, it looks like the neighborhood rabbits have become suicidal and are going after my brain strain plant. It actually took a pepper last night, although it looks like it bit into it and ran.

Fencing isn't an option, I'm in a condo. The plants are in pots, and the damn bastards are making their way into the pots and attacking from there.

From the title, I was expecting to see bunnies on the corner slangin' dimes :P.  maybe some hot chile powder on the ground around the pots. they'll get it on their feet and rub it on their face, no bueno.

I got some rabbit repellent and it worked great for me.  I believe it is called Liquid Fence and found at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

The lady was happy because it saved those bunnies from being picked off with a .22 rifle.

I will warn that stuff STINKS.  For a day or so my back yard was not a pleasant place to be.

I had a groundhog take a bite of one of my peppers - once. Actually, he never got a full bite out of it, just found teeth marks starting about the stem and scraping down the side. Chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits, skunks - they'll try, but then they're usually afraid to try a second time. The bigger problem I've had with them is digging in the pots. I use the dry form of Critter Ridder for that. It's really just a mix of black pepper and crystalized capsaicin, so it stinks badly, but it's worked for my plants.

A condo you say?  That usually has some height to it...

Step 1.  Pick up Bugs Bunny

Step 2.  See if it can glide like a flying squirrel.

Step 3.  If it does, its not a bunny.

On a side note - if its gotten into one, maybe it wont come back for seconds?

A humane trap from lowes/tractor supply would also fix the problem. Or a cat. Watch out with spraying critter ridder too close to your home, it can have a very bad smell. I have heard using dog hair around the garden scares off some pests. I see rabbits in my yard every day, but they have yet to bother the 80 pepper plants growing. Maybe it learned a lesson. 

you can keep the rabbits away from your plant by making a frame that square and ever how tall you need it then cover it with 20-40% shade cloth...make sure you fix the bottom of the frame to the ground....they may burrow under the frame and if they do, Strychnine works wonders...

We had a infestation last year, found the babies and they went swimming, always was told I am good instructor but never had one make it yet.

It's seems harsh but at some point you just have to take control, we tried everything from traps to bait to human hair, nothing stopped them.

tow rabbits were being chased by foxes when they ran under a hay pile...one looked at the other one and said...

Wait for it.....

Wait for it.......

Wait for it........

You wanna make a run for it or out number them....

Swartmamba said:
We had a infestation last year, found the babies and they went swimming, always was told I am good instructor but never had one make it yet.

It's seems harsh but at some point you just have to take control, we tried everything from traps to bait to human hair, nothing stopped them.

hahahaha.
I applaud you for having the balls to post that.
im sure you will take heat for it.

Does fencing not an option also mean you couldn't just make a bunch of round cages around the pots with heavy gauge chicken wire?
BoHhJzi.jpg

LOL.

I am trying the version of this made as a deer repellant, and will let you guys know how it works via my Deer thread:
neoguy said:
The deer version is supposed to also repel rabbits, but the other kind (for smaller animals) is also supposed to work with rabbits. We have deer, rabbits, skunk, groundhog, squirrels, and chipmunks in our area, and I am hoping the deer kind also helps deter the digging in the pods in the fall. We'll see. If not, I still have Critter Ridder.

Back