• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Deceptive seller on CL??

There is this guy next major town south of me selling Ghost Peppers for $30.00 per plant but imo i think he is being deceptive to the people who buy them, what do you think??

FOR SALE GHOST PEPPER LIVE PLANTS
EXOTICS RARE PEPPERS PLANTS.
HOTTEST PEPPERS ON EARTH.
YES HOTTEST PEPPERS ON EARTH.
EACH PLANT CAN PRODUCE MORE THAT FIFTY PEPPERS
3 X MORE HOT THAT HABANEROS.
CHECK IT OUT ON YOUTUBE.
FRESH PEPPERS ALSO FOR SALE $ 1.50 EACH

I can see people selling pepper plants seeds etc i just don't like it when people use people for money on incorrect information.

As long as it's truly a Ghost Plant/Peppers. He isn't really being deceptive other than not saying "It's ONE of the hottest peppers on the planet" Most everyone still thinks the Ghost Pepper IS the hottest pepper on the planet. I mean yes, technically he is being deceptive about it being the hottest. I don't find that to be all that big of a deal as long as the plant is what it's supposed to be.

Any seller worth their salt would do their research first. Either said seller IS being deceptive or is otherwise, let's put it nicely, not the most competent. In either case, I'm passing right on by.....

EDIT:

In either case too, I think it is wrong by the buyer.

As long as it's truly a Ghost Plant/Peppers. He isn't really being deceptive other than not saying "It's ONE of the hottest peppers on the planet" Most everyone still thinks the Ghost Pepper IS the hottest pepper on the planet. I mean yes, technically he is being deceptive about it being the hottest. I don't find that to be all that big of a deal as long as the plant is what it's supposed to be.
True ...he used to say that they were 10X hotter then Habaneros that was worse.

I wouldn't really call that deceptive, misinformed maybe.

Misinformed maybe. But wouldn't any respectable seller verify such a claim? The bloke mentions YouTube vids in his ad... I take that as he has watched them himself (either that or he is shooting more unverified/unconfirmed info out there)... surely at some point he would have stumbled on info contradictory to what he knew/believed. Wouldn't that be worth investigating?

EDIT:

On the otherhand, the fact that he is pointing potential buyers to a source that has the potential to disprove his claim *might* earn him some benefit-of-the-doubt points. Once again though, has he even watched such vids himself or did he just shoot it out there?

This was posted on Chileheads Facebook group. If a big supermarket chain like Kroger's cant get it right.....
(the guy bought them this week)

616608_4017658734083_1112741218_o.jpg

True. Sad... but true.

I still think there is more than enough readily available info out there to easily verify such a claim with very little effort though. If old mate is not interested in doing so and is happy to go by what a product label says, so be it. What's written on a product (commercial or otherwise) has never been wrong in the past or has never been deceptive in any way, right?

I dunno... maybe I am getting too carried away with this! Indeed it may just be a simple case of misinformation. :shrugs:

There is still a page up at NMSU that says the Bhut is the hottest commercially avialable pepper in the world... Even if he/they did research there is enough conflicting info out there that the casual bystander could be confused.

Wikipedia has on their moruga page a sentence saying that the moruga is the hottest in the world. On the chili pepper page, it says that the Butch T is the hottest in the world...

Even wikipedia doesnt have it right.

I tried to sort it out a while back mentioning the controversy. but they said I was coatracking, and removed it.

Yeah, I got a little carried away for sure. It's easy to forget that we know what we are looking for and where to find it when it comes to pepper-related info... and that others may not. Thinking about it a little harder now, I'm in agreement with 3/5King. As long as they are truly Ghost Peppers, the offense is somewhat a petty one. Much worse are those flogging off Habs (or worse) as superhots.

Still, saying it's the hottest in the world may save them some time with customers who otherwise might use it like a chipotle and then have their heads explode on them...

Fish4fun- post back to the classified with a question or two. See if the seller has a clue, where they got the seeds, etc. Any seller of (sauce, seeds, plants, anything) who is legit will be more than happy to answer questions about their product, where it came from, was it isolated, how were the seeds dried, is the sauce made in a licensed facility....

If the seller is evasive or uninformed.......walk away....

As for the packaged bhuts, as was stated, Melissa's probably printed 10,000 labels for those chiles and at that time, they probably WERE the hottest chile in the world. They might not even realize there is another, new, hottest chile in the world.

and Wiki~ is NOT an authority on anything. Any info posted there should be taken with a BIG grain of salt. Willard3 said it- unvetted -

Back