Deep fryers

Howdy y'all, I have been looking at getting a deep fryer for a while now and have found narrowed it down to 2 models. I'm leaning toward the Hamilton Beach because 1) it's less expensive, 2) uses less oil 3) I don't really need a large model. What do you guys think? Have I overlooked any other better models?

Here are the links
Model #1

Model #2

There is an episode of good eats on deep frying. He looks at a few models. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1bKvLrz_lI&feature=related There's the link. Gives some good info at the least.

They both appear to hold 12 cups so I'd probably get the one basket type unless you like to deep fry two different things at once which probably isn't a great idea anyways

I've got a Waring I got as a gift, I like using it if I have a lot of frying to do, but it's a hassle to clean up. If its just a small amount I'd rather just do a pot on the stove.

Cool video SY. I have been using the "dutch oven" big pot method and find that it's such a PIA to regulate the temp and keep it at a constant temperature. This is why I've been looking at getting a deep fryer because it regulates its self = simplicity.

I've got a Waring I got as a gift, I like using it if I have a lot of frying to do, but it's a hassle to clean up. If its just a small amount I'd rather just do a pot on the stove.

Wow Log, that looks really professional. You are right, I have been using the pot on the stove for a long time and am just tired of having to constantly turn up or down the heat. It seems that every time I fry like that, I spend more time worrying and adjusting the temp than I do actually enjoying cooking.

An important thing to look for is the high temp. They range from 360-375.

You should go for 375.

Well, I do have a nice CI Dutch Oven that I have used. But like I said, while it works nicely I seem to have to constantly check and adjust the stove. It just seems a PITA. However, I am still in the research phase and may end up keeping with the CI method due to $$

Found a deal for you. Free shipping too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wolfgang-Puck-1800W-4-Liter-Digital-Deep-Fryer-w-Drain-/380292806432?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item588b37b720#ht_5163wt_1139

Don't overbid, you can also "Buy It Now" here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wolfgang-Puck-1800W-4-Liter-Digital-Deep-Fryer-BDFR0060-/380291864720?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item588b295890#ht_5115wt_1139

Cheaper than Overstock.com.

Thanks THP. That looks like a great Fryer. Have you used it before or know others who have? I am really leaning toward it or one similar that is rated at 1800 watts, since I have been doing some more research and that seems like a good wattage and anything lower seems to struggle.

No idea man, just researching as well, good luck.

Another to watch: http://cgi.ebay.com/Wolfgang-Puck-1800-WATT-4-LITER-DIGITAL-DEEP-FRYER-NEW-/400175658416?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item5d2c53f5b0#ht_1268wt_905

That contraption looks rather nice. Not a bad price either. Personally I like the CI as I have a gas stove and it keeps the heat pretty steady. I used to use a thermometer with it but thought that was a pain so now I just wing it. Works well for me but not everyone's cup of tea I reckon. The Wolfie might just be the ticket for you.

I've got a hankeren for my Philly Cheese Steak Eggrolls that I made a while ago. Plus, homemade haddock fish and chips, chicken strips and a handful of other ideas that I'll share as soon as I get frying. Not to mention wings, shrimp, scallops, veggies.......I could go on and on. :lol:

Whenever I do the CI method, it always seems that i have waste due to over-cooking at least one batch until I get the temp controlled just right. With a real fryer, I think I can focus more on the food and thus be more creative.

Here are my egg rolls I made earlier this year.
DSCF3808.jpg

Those babies won a TD.

Now get that fryer so you can post pics! Heck, if you use the "Buy Now" you can get it for the next TD!!!

This may be a ridiculous question/concern....I can not find this fryer anywhere that isn't "refurbished" should this be a concern?

Back