• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Deep Water Culture hydro

I have ordered an air hose and tubing, and was going to make a small bucket system using DWC.
This will be my first time ever doing hydro, and I have been very interested in trying some hydro since I got into growing peppers in soil.

I have seen and read about other styles of hydroponics on here and on you tube, is here a better hydro growing method that is the king of them all? I thinking DWC is the best for someone like me who is trying to work with minimal space and is new to it. I'm going to grow some type of pepper, just not sure what yet.

For a beginner, you can't go wrong with DWC. I've been rocking the bubble buckets for a few months now, and can't say enough about how much I love them. As long as you change your nutrients weekly, and top off with fresh water when needed, you should have no problems at all. Good luck!

I have ordered an air hose and tubing, and was going to make a small bucket system using DWC.
This will be my first time ever doing hydro, and I have been very interested in trying some hydro since I got into growing peppers in soil.

I have seen and read about other styles of hydroponics on here and on you tube, is here a better hydro growing method that is the king of them all? I thinking DWC is the best for someone like me who is trying to work with minimal space and is new to it. I'm going to grow some type of pepper, just not sure what yet.

Good luck, it will be fun to see how fast they grow vs. soil.

I just dove into Hydroponics myself. The local hydro shop has these little air lift hydro (a close cousin to DWC) in a complete kit for about $30.00. I picked up two last week to see if they live up to the hype. I can already see myself having many more than two come spring when the plants go outside. :rolleyes:

Currently I have a Bhut Jolokia and a TS Butch T in the two I own but I am already planning what to put in the ones I will probably make since they can be made for way cheaper than the hydro shop sells them.

DWC is best for beginners. When you get ambitious, you can try a flood and drain system and then a drip system and then a nutrient film system. You will get the bug and want to try other things soon. I am into Aeroponics now which is a lot of fun and a lot more difficult to get right but all my hydro systems are DWC's. They are bullet proof!

Yeah I can't wait.

Do I have to sowe my seedlings in rock wool, rapid rooters, or sure grows products? I have a bunch of Jiffy pellets but I'm thinking I cannot use those.

heres my video on how i did it. You can use jiffy pellets as that is what my orange habanero is in
I was actually just going to ask about growing peppers in DWC. Do you know what your going to use for nutrients ?

I use General Hydroponics Flora series

I use botanicare pure blend pro grow and bloom. And you can start in soil but will have to wait a couple weeks after germination before you can wash the dirt from around the roots and replant in whatever media you plan to use in the hydroponics. It will just be so much easier to use Rockwool or rapid roofer. I am using sure to grow cubes and they are a little bit if a pain but having great success so far. 100% germination rates

Ok, I think I'll get some rapid rooters. I was thinking about the sure to grow as well, watched some videos of their products as well as read some of their website. I'll most likeg do rapid rooters since I can get them locally this year.

thehotpepper.com/topic/35510-scratchs-indoor-grow-2012-2013-damage-control-and-a-new-hope/page__st__40#entry764790

This is my growlog, where I using dwc. On the third page you can see a germination experiment I conducted with hydroton and coco coir. You don't need fancy root plugs, or jiffy pucks. Just a lot of humidity.

You don't get nutrient burn when they're that young? Seems a little strong to me. I'm usually sitting at about 600ppm at that stage, and my leaves look a little funky if I get any higher. What nutrients are you using?

Edit: Nevermind, just read one of your previous posts, that's what I'm using too. You must keep you ph pretty dialed in.

Back