• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Deficiency - ph related or lockout?

DSCF2004.jpg

These are 2 trinidad scorpion yellow. Being fed half strength GHE nutrients in equal quantities of Grow, bloom, micro. Hand watered ph 6. Managed to gently squeeze some water out the cube and ph is 6.4 - 6.5.

Watered every few days and run off allowed, flushed with ph adjusted water about once a week.

I'm wondering what causing the deficiency. I'm doing it all by the book, equal parts of GHE Grow, bloom micro mixed in the correct order.

Im thinking N, K (dead spots on right plant) or Mag? Gave them a misting of Epsom last night just in case it was M.

Cheers, Chris

Chris, I forgot what type of lighting are you using? Other than being slightly pale green I think your plants look good and you have to understand growing in hydroton is not the same as soil. The roots in the hydroton will dry out faster and need more water, but the plug you have your immediate seedling in is soaking wet. I have used hydroton in a constant drip system and done ok. How are you going to pot up the to the next container, hydro or soil? For chiles I prefer MH over HPS mostly because I only grow young pepper plants inside.

These two were only started as a test for my 10 plants (just started) going into hydro systems. I wanted to get an idea of the time period from sprouting to ready for transplant into the system. Working this out would mean getting the longest period possible in the greenhouse come last frosts - making the most of the summer.

The lighting is only a twin 2' T8 fitting with daylight tubes totalling 36w. I may just pot them into some compost as I don't have room in the systems for them. I just wanted to be able to grow some decent test specimens so I had a good idea when it came to my best seeds.

I have made a few mistakes with these and have learned from them which is good.

Btw Cappy, The Brain Strains you sent me are doing very well. Strong plants and I have had very little trouble with them. One is even budding so hopefully have pods soon - Many thanks for your generosity sending me them. I may seeds of something very hot come harvest time I could send you in return. Its currently a pepper in progress.

Chris

The Numex not sure, maybe it was Nitrogen but when I see this one

DSCF2004.jpg

My mind says Magnesium right away, and maybe even some Calcium (the leaves are too crinkled). Not sure how to supply Calcium with a hydro setup though.

According to AJ peppers need/like extra Mg. You can try upping the formula ratios. Or just foliar feed epsom salt like AJ does: 1 tbsp/gallon water. If you want to supply Ca and Mg (and N) without increasing other nutes then CalMag's another option for hydro. Good luck.

I think you should spray them with an all purpose plant food that contains calcium and magnesium and trace elements and see how they do.

Alan

Back