• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Deformed & Cracked Leaves

Hi All,

I have one Bhut Jolokia plant in one of my EBB & Flow trays that is showing some cracked & deformed leaves. This is localized to only one part of the plant and is only happening to about 3 - 4 leaves. This is the only plant out of 5 total in this tray that is having this issue. So I doubt that it could be a nutrient problem. It is the farthest away from the light bulb, so I think we can rule out heat. Everything else seems to be fine. It's even starting to bud. I've done a search here and on google, but still need a little help. Any ideas? Thanks.

6322412413_a62d052538_b.jpg

6322415251_6bee4b24ae_b.jpg

6322413145_de87e26ae2_b.jpg

The plant in question is the one all the way to the front left:
6322459381_7e5bc533f0_b.jpg

Regards,
Edward

Are the new leaves coming in the same way?

If not I think your fine, Every plant I've ever grown always produces a couple weird/deformed leaves.. Expecially when your talking about hundreds of leaves on each plant near maturity.

Your cracked leaves don't have any discoloration or spotting which rules out fungus/diseases, I'm guessing you've had them inside there whole lives so I doubt it's insects nor does it look like any insect driven symptom I've seen. It doesn't look like they're suffering from over-watering by any means, or under-watering.

One more reason I think you just got a bad set of leaves my friend..
Your plants including the one with problem look healthy as all hell! :woohoo:

IF the new leaves are coming in the same though.. My only advice would be shoot em up with some cal/mag.

Hope this helps
Brandon

Are the new leaves coming in the same way?

If not I think your fine, Every plant I've ever grown always produces a couple weird/deformed leaves.. Expecially when your talking about hundreds of leaves on each plant near maturity.

Your cracked leaves don't have any discoloration or spotting which rules out fungus/diseases, I'm guessing you've had them inside there whole lives so I doubt it's insects nor does it look like any insect driven symptom I've seen. It doesn't look like they're suffering from over-watering by any means, or under-watering.

One more reason I think you just got a bad set of leaves my friend..
Your plants including the one with problem look healthy as all hell! :woohoo:

IF the new leaves are coming in the same though.. My only advice would be shoot em up with some cal/mag.

Hope this helps
Brandon

Brandon,

The new leaves seem to be fine. I'm already giving them some cal/mag because I thought the leaves were puckering a bit, but others have told me that this type of plant puckers a little. Thanks for the compliment and input.

Regards,
Edward

i would guess it is handling damage :crazy:

is your gf, kid, or cat able to get at

them when you ain't standing guard?

the fan could do that too but i would "blame" her

i would guess it is handling damage :crazy:

is your gf, kid, or cat able to get at

them when you ain't standing guard?

the fan could do that too but i would "blame" her

Actually it might have been the baby. He helps me harvest the sweet peppers. He also loves to watch the trays flood and then drain back down. I haven't put up any pepper security yet because I don't have any fruit on my hydro plants. Maybe that's the next thing that I should look into. Maybe an electric fence. :eek:

no electric fence is for keeping them from weeing on the plants
it is best to just blame the old lady :hell:
as the kids can never do anything wrong
good growing

i have about 50 overwintering plants and i get leaf splitting, yellowing, burnt tips, brown spots, flower drop ALL THE TIME. pinch off any damaged leaves off and it goes away. now if you have massive leaf drop and the main plant stem and branches start to brown, then you have something to worry about.

Back