• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Degrees of separation

Just starting with peppers here......

First month Ive amassed over 60 varieties of seed.

My question is this. How much separation do the peppers need to avoid cross pollination in an indoor
growing situation as well as outside?

Thanks for any insight

Earthrox

indoor insolation...can not be accomplished unless you put something that will keep the pollen from "floating" to the next plant...this is, of course, my opinion...

outdoors...1 mile is good rule of thumb...you have to take into consideration how far bee's fly...

Thanks Jack

Obviously the goal would be to grow several varieties while preserving the strains.....

Indoor would be easier as I have three floors

Can any kind of netting be used outside to prevent insect pollination?

indoor insolation...can not be accomplished unless you put something that will keep the pollen from "floating" to the next plant...this is, of course, my opinion...

outdoors...1 mile is good rule of thumb...you have to take into consideration how far bee's fly...

Thanks Jack

Obviously the goal would be to grow several varieties while preserving the strains.....

Indoor would be easier as I have three floors

Can any kind of netting be used outside to prevent insect pollination?

your chances of getting cross pollination indoors would be greatly reduced if you grew them on separate floors I think

I have heard people using "tulle" cloth over the plants or branches with buds on them to prevent insects from getting to them...or just plain ol' mosquito netting

of course, you don't have to worry about cross pollination until they start producing flowers...

There is a topic SEED SAVING!!!! in Hot Peppers/Growing Hot Peppers where I detalied how I do it. You can have a look
Best regards,
Adrian

I've heard a mile an a half between plants for proper isolation but thats not really practical for most. Try researching other ways of isolation, there is a lot of talk about that here.
In my opinion, indoors you don't have to worry much about crosses other that yourself being a pollinator. There are usually no pollinating insects indoors, and chile pollen does not shoot into the air like outbreeding type plants, each flower usually pollinates itself

Thanks for all the great info!

I did do a search but found nothing. Will check out the Seed Saving topic.

The frogs used as my icon and avatar are mine. Along with around 80 others.

Would there be any problems growing peppers in my frog room? Not in their tanks obviously........

Thanks again

Earthrox

Back