• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

dry-spice Dehydrating hot sauce pulp

I’m looking to dehydrate the pulp left over from my last batch of hot sauce. I only have an oven and it does not have a convection option. Does anyone have times and temperatures that would work best as well as a set up on how to go about it. For example, on a sheet pan with a silicone mat, or parchment, or on some thing like a grease spatter screen. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I dehydrate all my sauce pulp and blend into powder. You want to use the lowest temperature you can get as it keeps the best flavour/colour. 120-150 are typical minimums for ovens so go as low as you can for as long as you can. If your oven min is 200, that's probably too much and the pulp will burn before it dries. At 120 you're looking at 24 hours - at 150 it could be nearer 12 hours. Spread the pulp on a silicone mat and keep checking it every 2-3 hours. Depending on the sugars in your sauce it may go through a gummy phase - push past this until it snaps - then you're dry enough to powder.

I use a dehydrator which you can get for $50 on Amazon. Much better with the benefit of not hogging your oven for days and the ability to go to much lower temperatures and I can leave it at say 100 for a couple days and not worry about it going over.

I dehydrate all my sauce pulp and blend into powder. You want to use the lowest temperature you can get as it keeps the best flavour/colour. 120-150 are typical minimums for ovens so go as low as you can for as long as you can. If your oven min is 200, that's probably too much and the pulp will burn before it dries. At 120 you're looking at 24 hours - at 150 it could be nearer 12 hours. Spread the pulp on a silicone mat and keep checking it every 2-3 hours. Depending on the sugars in your sauce it may go through a gummy phase - push past this until it snaps - then you're dry enough to powder.

I use a dehydrator which you can get for $50 on Amazon. Much better with the benefit of not hogging your oven for days and the ability to go to much lower temperatures and I can leave it at say 100 for a couple days and not worry about it going over.
Thanks for the info. I think I’m just going to buy a dehydrator…it just makes more sense.

I'm not sure how you would put a pulp on a dehydrator shelf - they're pretty open. Hoping someone here can explain, or you can once you do it!

I have the plastic trays that came with my dehydrator - they are meant for fruit leather and the like. A silicone mat would also work. Dehydrators are useful for drying herbs and other leftover things so have utility beyond just making chilli powder.

Parchment paper depends a lot on the ferocity of the fan in your dehydrator. I tried it once and while it was fine when the mash was wet, once it dried, the fan lifted the paper and it started fluttering making a hell of a noise!

Back