• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying dehydrating versus roasting?

Hi all you hot pepper lovers.  Why would someone, maybe me choose roasting peppers to dry instead of using my dehydrators?  I couldn't really find an answer to this.

Thank you

If you've the time and the means, roasting (or smoke roasting) peppers adds another dimension of flavor to the finished product.  different applications for different tastes, the possibilities are endless :)

I've got a question to add, don't want to hijack, but what about roasting then dehydrating? I have 6-4 peppers that I'm not sure about just throwing straight in the dehydrator

twilliams386 said:
I've got a question to add, don't want to hijack, but what about roasting then dehydrating? I have 6-4 peppers that I'm not sure about just throwing straight in the dehydrator
Well, I've heard of some people smoking and then dehydrating. I guess roasting would be ok too. It should change the flavor profile a little bit. If the peppers are fully ripe the higher heat from roasting would affect the sugars in the pods (what little there is) and give them that subtle roasted nut/coffee-ish flavor but it wouldn't be as pronounced as if you roasted them completely. Try it and let us know. I'm a bit curious myself.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
There are tons of threads on both honestly. It took me years to perfect what I liked but learning was all the fun.  :dance:
Can you do what you like time after time after time? I haven't got to that point yet.

So do you have a certain pick the pod color then smoke a certain way and time then I think I have read you dehydrate at 95 degrees F to keep the best color?

Thanks

Roasting is a cooking process like smoking which will change the flavor profile of the chiles.  Neither roasting or smoking are usually used for drying, which is a preservation method.  Chiles can be roasted or smoked then dehydrated.  or the chiles can be dehydrated straight away.  Sometimes people will use their oven for dehydrating on a very low temp which is not the same as roasting.  Different processes for different reasons.   

SL

Chipotles are smoked for days until fully dry.

I said "usually"..........

(edit)...see edit above

Jabski said:
Can you do what you like time after time after time? I haven't got to that point yet.

So do you have a certain pick the pod color then smoke a certain way and time then I think I have read you dehydrate at 95 degrees F to keep the best color?

Thanks
Yes I can easily repeat my steps over and over. Drying at lower temps will preserve the color and other qualities. The Preserve it Naturally book that comes with the Excalibur dehydrators is very useful for drying just about everything for peak outcomes. I pick all my pods when ripe unless it is end of season. I smoke with different woods for different powders I make and some low and slow.

Have fun and try new things, perfection will not be achieved on the first try. 

Back