• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting delicious year old ferment

I just ran some year and a half old pepper ferment through the food mill, getting ready to process it. Couldn't wait to taste it, the wait was really worth it, very tasty! In the past I've always heated up, added other ingredients, and then bottled or canned. I really don't want to change the flavor on this ferment in any way. I haven't checked the PH yet. If the PH is o.k., do you think I can just heat it up and process without adding anything? Pretty new to sauce making, this ones a winner.

fiogga said:
I just ran some year and a half old pepper ferment through the food mill, getting ready to process it. Couldn't wait to taste it, the wait was really worth it, very tasty! In the past I've always heated up, added other ingredients, and then bottled or canned. I really don't want to change the flavor on this ferment in any way. I haven't checked the PH yet. If the PH is o.k., do you think I can just heat it up and process without adding anything? Pretty new to sauce making, this ones a winner.
Just processed mine 15 month ferment added nothing fantastic on its own. Heated and milled and blended than bottled lost nothing in the processing. After bottling I let rest 30 days to meld flavors after bottling.
Absolutely fantastic!! No need to add anything!! Enjoy!! :)

Thanks so much salty, was worried heating might change the flavor. I was a bit scared of the ferment, I'm not a huge superhot fan, combined BBG7's, Peppadews, Chilhuacle Negros, Ancient Sweets, and an unknown Bolivian, flavor's perfect for me. Couldn't get all the pieces out of the bottom of the food mill, dehydrating what was left for powder, so I soaked the bottom of the mill in some fresh water and drank what was left. I will just heat up and bottle as is, thanks for the advice!  

fiogga said:
Thanks so much salty, was worried heating might change the flavor. I was a bit scared of the ferment, I'm not a huge superhot fan, combined BBG7's, Peppadews, Chilhuacle Negros, Ancient Sweets, and an unknown Bolivian, flavor's perfect for me. Couldn't get all the pieces out of the bottom of the food mill, dehydrating what was left for powder, so I soaked the bottom of the mill in some fresh water and drank what was left. I will just heat up and bottle as is, thanks for the advice!
Doesn't have to be super hot my friend just what you like!! :) sounds like a fantastic combo. I love using the food mill scraps for powder. Just remember after hot processing to allow for the aging process at least 15 but 20/30 is better. In my experience :) post some pics!!

Sounds tasty. Can you explain the process over the last year and a half? Mainly wondering about your ferment technique since most don't let it go beyond 3 months. Thanks

Back