• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dennish 2017 - It's Chilli in Yorkshire

Happy New Year!

Still deliberating over my ‘final’ list as per usual!  It will be 'more of the same' with some small tweaks here and there, and no radical changes in approach from me.  I feel I’m close to optimum in terms of squeezing the maximum potential out of my small greenhouse space (8’ x 6’).

Here's my current thinking on the line-up and GH layout, likely to change a bit;

329fad247ee98b656891969e0ce3dd27.jpg

The game is now afoot!  Early sowings in my trusty Garland Fab 4 on New year’s Day;
39d0b2d75d3e4b7a406209ea909d76f9.jpg

My Crosses
Aji Bodysnatcher F3
Yorkshire Barghest F1 (I only have 2 seed, fingers crossed!)

Competition
Scotch Bonnet MOA (http://thehotpepper.com/topic/62887-land-of-the-giants-2017-biggest-bonnet-competition/)
Aji Lemon Drop (http://thehotpepper.com/topic/63073-growdown-throwdown-2017-aji-lemon-drop/page-1)

Pubescens
Rio Huallaga Rocoto

Also, my 6 year old Trindad Scorpion CARDI Yellow has finally begun to sprout after the usual hard root and branch cutback, great to see new leaves unfurling from his mighty old trunk... come on old boy, you can do it!  8)

52d3aeb0986a8ee48d60c78ec08aacd6.jpg

8aa95071fc3ee47583c94ce42ce06500.jpg

b5631d83951b08e74bba1d51b3c65b15.jpg

I’m having a major extension on the house this year in spring, so hoping that my grow won't suffer too much.

Wishing all my friends at THP a bountiful 2017.

Cheers,

Dennis

Devv said:
Very nice Dennis! Love the greenhouse! Is that an extension to your home?

I'm having an extension on the house at the moment, yes... hoping it doesn't cause too much disruption in the garden!

PaulG said:
Wow - beautiful greenhouse, Dennis!
Cheers Paul :-)

Malarky said:
Can we beg a photo shoot of the greenhouse? All around outside and in.
IIRC you have a beautiful yard. I'd love a greenhouse like that.
More pics above, I'll post some outside shots too on next update!

stickman said:
Good on ya Dennis, that greenhouse setup looks well thought out and built. Cheers!
Thanks!

stickman said:
Nice Dennis! Have you used the air-pots before?

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk
Yes, had good success with them last year... I only have a couple but definitely rate them.

Trident chilli said:
Way to go Dennis... plants look spot on as does your greenhouse soon to be a jungle and plenty of early pods too
Cheers John!

OCD Chilehead said:
Great update Dennis. I love that greenhouse. Maybe some day I'll build something as nice as that. I don't think it would be that clean. I'm a messy gardener. LOL! You and John have great green houses.

Thanks Chuck!  I so admit I'm more than a little OCD about having the GH well organised and ship shape!  :)  

I love squeezing every last drop out of the space available, so having a plan as to what goes where and how I will move things around as the season develops really helps with this... as does being disciplined about the maximum number of plants I can have.

6 year old veteran TS CARDI podding up nicely, in a 6l pot... on a windowsill, fed nutrigrow every other watering... nothing fancy.  
72d48741401e62635d11f38ff8972fd0.jpg

Just goes to show you can get good yields and decent sized plants without massive pots which everyone seems to be using these days.  Massive pots have potential for bigger yields, but also run the risk of more going wrong and running out of time in our short UK season unless you really know what you are doing, I'd go as far as advising newer growers to stick with smaller pots to give a better chance of success and a decent return.

a2974e7422a0fb4f10c14b80cc26568a.jpg

0e17a145de0e1d14cb495f978d91da4b.jpg

Full sized and proper shaped pods coming through now, happy days!  8)

In other news, not much happening in the GH... other than general sulking since being potted out.  Toms don't seem to mind but some of the chillies sporting yellower leaves and throwing a hissy fit, which is expected as they acclimatise over the next few weeks.  Doesn't help that me potting out seemed to signal a change in the weather over the last week, sigh.

d5d7724550ee304ad287ea38df523223.jpg

Pods on Cardi look very nice. All the other plants look amazing. Funny you should mention smaller containers. With so many extras, I'm going to grow as many as I can in 1 1/2 gallon containers. Its going to be a experiment. I'll mix some organic fertilizer in the soil and have to go to liquid later on. I'm confident I can get some nice plants.

I see you feed every other watering. I'll take notes.

Great job, Dennis.

OCD Chilehead said:
Pods on Cardi look very nice. All the other plants look amazing. Funny you should mention smaller containers. With so many extras, I'm going to grow as many as I can in 1 1/2 gallon containers. Its going to be a experiment. I'll mix some organic fertilizer in the soil and have to go to liquid later on. I'm confident I can get some nice plants.

I see you feed every other watering. I'll take notes.

Great job, Dennis.
Smaller is often better in terms of pot size, especially if you have a limited growing season... forces earlier fruiting and limits plant size. Sure, not going to win prizes for max yield... but a decent return is better than no return in my book.

This years new cross, Yorkshire Barghest F1 - TS CARDI x Bhut Orange Copenhagen - pods setting, shapes looking gnarly, elongated with a scorpion tail... promising! Unfortunately I'm not the first person to try them, slippery slimey slugs [emoji222] barstewards!
f96baee6949ebe85d92b68501048d7c1.jpg

f3ebc27e1879d9b6247e1e492e4e001b.jpg

dennish said:
This years new cross, Yorkshire Barghest F1 - TS CARDI x Bhut Orange Copenhagen - pods setting, shapes looking gnarly, elongated with a scorpion tail... promising! Unfortunately I'm not the first person to try them, slippery slimey slugs [emoji222] barstewards!
f96baee6949ebe85d92b68501048d7c1.jpg

f3ebc27e1879d9b6247e1e492e4e001b.jpg
How did slugs get inside the greenhouse Dennis, or have you been hardening off outside during the day? Nice- looking pods on that cross... Looking forward to your description when they ripen. Cheers!

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Back