• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2017-Having a good time in the dirt

Another season has come and gone. Time to start a new one!

Although I did already a few weeks ago :shh: . After last years dismal (late) start I jumped in a bit early to insure I could have viable plants come dirt day. I can always cut them back, if I need to. I have to compile a list yet, but I'm growing the full spectrum. Sweets, to supers, based upon what we will actually use. Most of my list is to make LB happy; I'm really glad to see her infuse peppers in more and more dishes. Can't beat that when the wife takes interest ;)

1.jpg

Not the best pic; but the shelf is being sketchy, and I don't need all the babies bouncing off the floor.

Good luck to all this season :party:

moruga welder said:
Well lets just hope so !      :party:

I'd like to say I'm counting on it; but I know better after being here for 39 years ;)  The 10 day does look "OK"

The candle always burns at both ends here, and that my friends puts me in the slacker category glog-wise.

258.jpg

259.jpg

260.jpg

A pair of P. Dreadie's well away from the garden, or any other pepper plants. Some flowers are on the way ;)

261.jpg

The pubes are hanging nicely in the semi shade.

262.jpg

No pods from the Yellow Rocoto yet. All the rest shown below have given me a few; and I'm glad they're in pots ;)

263.jpg

Group shot ;)

The garden is being watered by the wobblers; mainly cuz I'm out out rain water and too lazy to hand water them tonight :shh:

Happy Friday all!

everything is looking mighty fine ! 
Devv said:

I'd like to say I'm counting on it; but I know better after being here for 39 years ;)  The 10 day does look "OK"

The candle always burns at both ends here, and that my friends puts me in the slacker category glog-wise.

258.jpg

259.jpg

260.jpg

A pair of P. Dreadie's well away from the garden, or any other pepper plants. Some flowers are on the way ;)

261.jpg

The pubes are hanging nicely in the semi shade.

262.jpg

No pods from the Yellow Rocoto yet. All the rest shown below have given me a few; and I'm glad they're in pots ;)

263.jpg

Group shot ;)

The garden is being watered by the wobblers; mainly cuz I'm out out rain water and too lazy to hand water them tonight :shh:

Happy Friday all!

Trident chilli said:
Scott you have some great growth on those plants .... no sure what a wobblers is but it sounds good.... no rain water the mad thing here in the UK is if we don't get more rain soon we will face a hose pipe ban later

Thanks John!

Wow I thought the UK was always wet? Here I'm in a semi desert climate.

Here's the wobblers in action:

275.jpg

They're good for a 40'x40' area. Very few weeds in the garden and tons of RCW down, so it shouldn't produce too many weeds. I dug potatoes this morning, we're dry down to 8"s. So I let them run 1.5 hours yesterday and again today. I'll have to hand water the tomatoes on the right as the water gets blocked by the grapes some.

stickman said:
The plants you have in pots and dappled shade are looking nice Scott! How are your Chinense varieties doing for you now?

Thanks Rick!

They're doing OK, nothing spectacular.

Here's a few of them...

269.jpg

B-Goat. It still has the funky look to the leaves but that seems to sort itself out as they age. The growth to me seems rather slow with all of them. This one has quite a few flowers. I hope they make decent pods.

270.jpg

Here's another one with the same look. What's weird is the tom's are doing well, and so is this one below. I'm wondering if I brought something bad in with all the mulch and it carried over.

267.jpg

This Aji Amarillo looks great; so I don't know...

268.jpg

The Annuum's in the Hugel Bed. They're all looking really good, and that's the same soil as the Chinense are in. The only difference is I buried the 2' of wood under 7"s of the soil. Next year I'm going to put the Chinense in 15 gallon bags I purchased and let the middle go to mature some.

265.jpg

266.jpg

Red Manzano I started last year. Still no flowers, but it looks great.

271.jpg

OW JA Hab's from last year.

272.jpg

LB's squash taking over it's area ;)

Devv said:

Thanks Rick!

They're doing OK, nothing spectacular.

Here's a few of them...

269.jpg

B-Goat. It still has the funky look to the leaves but that seems to sort itself out as they age. The growth to me seems rather slow with all of them. This one has quite a few flowers. I hope they make decent pods.

270.jpg

Here's another one with the same look. What's weird is the tom's are doing well, and so is this one below. I'm wondering if I brought something bad in with all the mulch and it carried over.

267.jpg

This Aji Amarillo looks great; so I don't know...
It's possible you introduced something into your soil, but more likely it's nute lockout due to your high pH. I've been reading that at pH above 7.6 Phosphate and Iron become unavailable to some plants. Sometimes the bulk of your peppers will be fine but one or two will fail to thrive. I had that happen to me a few years ago. All of my varieties were fine but the Pasillas... They had Blossom End Rot.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

stickman said:
It's possible you introduced something into your soil, but more likely it's nute lockout due to your high pH. I've been reading that at pH above 7.6 Phosphate and Iron become unavailable to some plants. Sometimes the bulk of your peppers will be fine but one or two will fail to thrive. I had that happen to me a few years ago. All of my varieties were fine but the Pasillas... They had Blossom End Rot.

I'm hoping it's nutes, and thinking it may well be the issue. I've had some chlorosis, which I've addressed with calmag and epsom salt. I need to find some chelated iron.

Plants looking good Scott. Great looking garden. Hope you figure your soil out. Overall they look great to me.

I'll be doing some containers just in case. This ground thing is still new to me. I don't want to over do it. My soilless mix is simple. Add nutes, water and add nutes. Kinda like hydro. If there is a problem, I flush the soil. Not so forgiving in the ground. Still learning.

OCD Chilehead said:
Plants looking good Scott. Great looking garden. Hope you figure your soil out. Overall they look great to me.

I'll be doing some containers just in case. This ground thing is still new to me. I don't want to over do it. My soilless mix is simple. Add nutes, water and add nutes. Kinda like hydro. If there is a problem, I flush the soil. Not so forgiving in the ground. Still learning.

Hi Chuck,

I'll get it. And I know I created any issues with all the mulch.  The mulch competes with the plants for nutes. Funny how just the Chinense are struggling, and the rest are not; but they are getting better. ;)

Dude, your plants look glorious!
Even those darn chinenses  :banghead: It looks
like your Hugel bed is going to be a winner!

We have a week of sunny weather in
the forecast - temps go from 61˚ today
to 90˚ in seven days, then back down
to high 70's for a few days. Nights finally
in the high 40's and low 50's after tonight.

Your grow looks great, brother, keep up the
good work - here's to some moderate
temperatures down your way!

PaulG said:
Dude, your plants look glorious!
Even those darn chinenses  :banghead: It looks
like your Hugel bed is going to be a winner!

We have a week of sunny weather in
the forecast - temps go from 61˚ today
to 90˚ in seven days, then back down
to high 70's for a few days. Nights finally
in the high 40's and low 50's after tonight.

Your grow looks great, brother, keep up the
good work - here's to some moderate
temperatures down your way!

Thanks Paul!

I love to experiment, and the Hugel Bed has been a positive one. ;)

I've been hitting the peppers with foilar applications of Calmag, Seaweed Extract, and weak doses of Epsom Salts. They are responding well; so I may pull it off before the heat sets in. I also added Chelated Iron to the regimen; been seeing some chlorosis. Soil test for sure very soon. I found out most of Texas is quarantined from sending soil outside of the state. I guess they don't want us "sharing"...LOL

276.jpg

282.jpg

Pulling a few here and there. Mostly Annuum's; todays pull on the bottom, 2 JA Habs and a B-Goat (early small ones).

277.jpg

Steady pulling tom's.

278.jpg

Got a decent haul on the taters. This is from 5 or 6 seed taters via Wally World. :D  I have about 6 weeks left of dirt growing...

It's supposed to storm tonight with hail. I'm joining in on the Hail No! song!

Devv said:
276.jpg

282.jpg

Pulling a few here and there. Mostly Annuum's; todays pull on the bottom, 2 JA Habs and a B-Goat (early small ones).

277.jpg

Steady pulling tom's.

278.jpg

Got a decent haul on the taters. This is from 5 or 6 seed taters via Wally World. :D  I have about 6 weeks left of dirt growing...

It's supposed to storm tonight with hail. I'm joining in on the Hail No! song!
It's supposed to hit here in about a half an hour... Hail no, no hail!

Back