• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2017-Having a good time in the dirt

Another season has come and gone. Time to start a new one!

Although I did already a few weeks ago :shh: . After last years dismal (late) start I jumped in a bit early to insure I could have viable plants come dirt day. I can always cut them back, if I need to. I have to compile a list yet, but I'm growing the full spectrum. Sweets, to supers, based upon what we will actually use. Most of my list is to make LB happy; I'm really glad to see her infuse peppers in more and more dishes. Can't beat that when the wife takes interest ;)

1.jpg

Not the best pic; but the shelf is being sketchy, and I don't need all the babies bouncing off the floor.

Good luck to all this season :party:

stickman said:

We're pullin' for ya on this end too Scott. For the first time I'll also be adding Elemental Sulfur to my garden beds  to lower the pH in my garden. From what I read, it looks like the soil-dwelling microbes need warm, moist conditions to convert the sulfur to weak sulfuric acid and the process takes at least a couple of months. I'm really looking forward to the results of my soil test this time next year to see if I'm on the right track. I'll be interested to see how using the blood meal works out for lowering your pH as well. Cheers!

Thanks Rick!

I already added a half dose of elemental sulfur 2 weeks ago along with a half dose of blood meal. Before doing so I sectioned off the garden to make permanent walkways and growing areas. I made a map of all the areas and took measurements, did the math to figure the dosage per area. Then removed the RCW on top to expose the dirt below, added the goodies and replaced the RCW. Quite the workout!

I was impressed at how much the RCW had broken down when I raked it off the top. No longer tilling it in, the last time was either winter 2015 or 2016 spring. It was re-ground to a fine mix prior to adding and when I dug down I can see it had broken down completely. One thing I haven't been able to find is the NPK values of RCW.

Home Depot had the best price on the Elemental Sulfur around here. 20lbs for around $20-$22.

When I tested the soil Ph with my meter it came out to 7.8; and that's what the soil test showed. I used neutral water and added the soil, let it set after a few good shakes. So I'll test it again just before I plant. But I won't add anymore sulfur until the spring garden is done. If I dropped it .4, I'll be happy for year one. I'd love to see it in the optimal ranges ;)

Devv said:

Thanks Rick!

I already added a half dose of elemental sulfur 2 weeks ago along with a half dose of blood meal. Before doing so I sectioned off the garden to make permanent walkways and growing areas. I made a map of all the areas and took measurements, did the math to figure the dosage per area. Then removed the RCW on top to expose the dirt below, added the goodies and replaced the RCW. Quite the workout!

I was impressed at how much the RCW had broken down when I raked it off the top. No longer tilling it in, the last time was either winter 2015 or 2016 spring. It was re-ground to a fine mix prior to adding and when I dug down I can see it had broken down completely. One thing I haven't been able to find is the NPK values of RCW.

Home Depot had the best price on the Elemental Sulfur around here. 20lbs for around $20-$22.

When I tested the soil Ph with my meter it came out to 7.8; and that's what the soil test showed. I used neutral water and added the soil, let it set after a few good shakes. So I'll test it again just before I plant. But I won't add anymore sulfur until the spring garden is done. If I dropped it .4, I'll be happy for year one. I'd love to see it in the optimal ranges ;)

I understand your caution Scott. Mineral acids can get intense really quickly. I'll be keeping an eye on your grow to see how it works out for you.  After New Year's Day I'll be starting up my 2018 glog and going over my soil mineralization strategy in detail for those interested. Cheers!

Thanks for the info Rick!

This is from their webpage:

Mehlich III (Phosphorus and multi-nutrient extractant)
Phosphorus, K, Ca, Mg, Na and S are extracted using the Mehlich III extractant and are determined by ICP. The extractant is a dilute acid-fluoride-EDTA solution of pH 2.5 that consists of 0.2 N CH3-COOH-0.25 N NH4NO3-0.015 N NH4F-0.013 N HNO3-0.001 M EDTA. The method estimates plant available pools of the elements listed above and is currently the only method recognized by Texas AgriLife Extension Service. Reported on a dry soil basis only.

And I believe I did this test from the PDF:

When acid is placed on a soil containing appreciable calcium carbonate, the soil fizzes in the form of carbon dioxide gas bubbles.

I didn't have the bubbling, but now I need to do this again.. ;)

Devv said:
Thanks for the info Rick!

This is from their webpage:

Mehlich III (Phosphorus and multi-nutrient extractant)
Phosphorus, K, Ca, Mg, Na and S are extracted using the Mehlich III extractant and are determined by ICP. The extractant is a dilute acid-fluoride-EDTA solution of pH 2.5 that consists of 0.2 N CH3-COOH-0.25 N NH4NO3-0.015 N NH4F-0.013 N HNO3-0.001 M EDTA. The method estimates plant available pools of the elements listed above and is currently the only method recognized by Texas AgriLife Extension Service. Reported on a dry soil basis only.

And I believe I did this test from the PDF:

When acid is placed on a soil containing appreciable calcium carbonate, the soil fizzes in the form of carbon dioxide gas bubbles.

I didn't have the bubbling, but now I need to do this again.. ;)

I know... It was an eye-opener for me too. I also have calcareous soil as per the fizz test, but had a weak reaction.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

stickman said:
I know... It was an eye-opener for me too. I also have calcareous soil as per the fizz test, but had a weak reaction.

I've looked into it further, and I found out that since I had such a weak reaction to the fizz test I need to use the "excess cations" worksheet to calculate my amendments after re-calculating the CEC with a different formula. The same source said that with a pH above 7.4 and a strong reaction to the fizz test, you should get your soil tested with the AA 8.2 extractant rather than the Melich 3 and amend with gypsum rather than AG sulfur as per the Tiedjens Method.
Hope this helps.

Back