• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2017-Having a good time in the dirt

Another season has come and gone. Time to start a new one!

Although I did already a few weeks ago :shh: . After last years dismal (late) start I jumped in a bit early to insure I could have viable plants come dirt day. I can always cut them back, if I need to. I have to compile a list yet, but I'm growing the full spectrum. Sweets, to supers, based upon what we will actually use. Most of my list is to make LB happy; I'm really glad to see her infuse peppers in more and more dishes. Can't beat that when the wife takes interest ;)

1.jpg

Not the best pic; but the shelf is being sketchy, and I don't need all the babies bouncing off the floor.

Good luck to all this season :party:

Devv said:

Thanks Chuck!

I should be loaded by fall ;)  This year was slow. I feel all the RCW I tilled in tied up the goodies the plants want.

Next year I want this:

A blast from the past ...2014:

1153.jpg

1155.jpg

This was like every 4 days, back in 2014, before I added all the RCW. I should never have tilled it in, instead I should have left it on top....lesson learned!

Good advice when fertilizing with raw wood Scott... I guess you can't expect quick results. As dry as it is out your way, it probably slows down the wood's decomposition too.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Wow, Scott, you've added a lot of pages to your grow log since
my last visit.  Sorry I'm not a good forum citizen and visiting you
more often.  

Everything looks good, even the heat affected stuff.  I know you
expect these kind of temps every year, but here they are way out
of the norm, and really affecting my grow.  No temps below 93
for the next 10 days, and the last 10 as well.  Looks like the
Bonnets are bust, as are the CPI Habs.  Your JA Red Hab is one
of the bright spots - setting lots of nice pods, big and blocky like always!

Keep on believin', brother!  Once that RCW gets settled in, your
grow will reach new heights.

OCD Chilehead said:
I remember that year, Scott. That was a good year for me as well. Your garden that year influenced me so much. Seriously, if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have went to ground. Next year it will be better. I'm sure of that!

Thanks Chuck for the well wishes ;)

It's settling in AND doing what I set out to do, hold the moisture better and provide the nutrients. Both the heavy soil and the RCW will really make the garden shine next season. No more tilling either ;)

stickman said:
Good advice when fertilizing with raw wood Scott... I guess you can't expect quick results. As dry as it is out your way, it probably slows down the wood's decomposition too.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Thanks Rick, looking forward, things should go really well. Broadfork it is, next spring!

PaulG said:
Wow, Scott, you've added a lot of pages to your grow log since
my last visit.  Sorry I'm not a good forum citizen and visiting you
more often.  

Everything looks good, even the heat affected stuff.  I know you
expect these kind of temps every year, but here they are way out
of the norm, and really affecting my grow.  No temps below 93
for the next 10 days, and the last 10 as well.  Looks like the
Bonnets are bust, as are the CPI Habs.  Your JA Red Hab is one
of the bright spots - setting lots of nice pods, big and blocky like always!

Keep on believin', brother!  Once that RCW gets settled in, your
grow will reach new heights.

No Problem Paul ;)

I've been in and out with family visits. In fact LB and I are off to NY Friday for 5 days to see her family.

The heat will slow you down some, but keep them watered and hit them with extra fish emulsion to help the leaching that happens when they drink all that water. I've also been hitting them with foilar applications of calmag, epsom salts, seaweed extract, and chelated iron in a 25% strength mix to help with the leaching. I do this as they show the signs. Also they love the shower they get from the wobblers in this heat. Doing much better than soil watering. I water at 7AM for 90 minutes every other day. Containers everyday, I need larger ones ;)  #7 not large enough.

Can you believe after a month and then some of temps above 97°, with 11-12 days of 100° or more the JA Habs are setting pods? I'm amazed.

What I've done different during the heat this season is pay more attention to the nutrient demands of the plants. In the past I took a "it's hot, no feeding approach". Old dog syndrome ;)

Trident chilli said:
Scott you will soon have this season nailed once the temperatures drop ... hopefully soon for your grow

Thanks John!

I'm so ready for the weather to break here. The days are getting shorter and in 30-40 days our weather should be about right for things to stoke up again.

We're up at 4AM tomorrow to fly out to NY until Tuesday. They say 80° for highs there! I can't wait ;)

Hey Scott, I'd fallen behind on your glog a bit over the last few weeks, but WOW!

You're really killing it!

Funny thing is, as you have these weeks of heat, us down here are about to be hit by what they're calling "The Blizzard of Oz"

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
Hey Scott, I'd fallen behind on your glog a bit over the last few weeks, but WOW!

You're really killing it!

Funny thing is, as you have these weeks of heat, us down here are about to be hit by what they're calling "The Blizzard of Oz"

Thanks TBG!

I just got home from NY, a 12 hour travel day...sigh...haven't looked at the garden yet, it's dark...LOL. Bhut we had 4.5"s of rain in the guage! Pretty much unheard of here during August, and was really, really needed. The pastures should green up nicely ;)

Sorry about the cold! Here, the cooler weather starts in about 5 weeks. And the lower 90's should come back and then the 80's. Which means warmer weather for you!

Good luck this season!

randyp said:
Good to see your up and kicking Scott.Surprise heading your way in the next 2 weeks buddy.

You're the best Randy!

I know I'm behind on updates,vacations, and back to work :shh:

Really nothing much to show with killer heat. It's been a really hot summer here :confused:  But the plants are still hanging in there...

Well, I'm way over due for an update. Bhut no sense showing repeats of the poor gals suffering the last 6-8 weeks with temps above 97°, and that's the cool side of the temps.

Even though the temps have been crazy this summer, I'm still pulling a few here and there. Let me correct that statement; LB has been doing the pulling :D

439.jpg

Just a few here and there, bhut we're staying in fresh peppers.

Bhut first, a pic of Charli dog. Yes baby, thanks for this, just before we fly out of town.

440.jpg

432.jpg

Proof the Aji Oro CAN produce pods in South Texas during the wicked summer months. This ones a keeper for sure!

434.jpg

The plants are a hangin' despite the heat. Some are still suffering from the nutrient leaching while a was away on vacation. I've been hitting them hard this weekend and last weekend. The hugel bed plants hung really well! The large orange thai is killing it!

435.jpg

And it's not caring about the temps ;)

436.jpg

433.jpg

Been working the mulch pile; some good heat in the pile :party:

437.jpg

438.jpg

The Crepe Myrtle's are in full bloom after the 6"s of rain we received. Just so many bees all the trees are a buzz.

431.jpg

The "Beast 2.0". A very addictive toy :shh:

Devv said:
Well, I'm way over due for an update. Bhut no sense showing repeats of the poor gals suffering the last 6-8 weeks with temps above 97°, and that's the cool side of the temps.

Even though the temps have been crazy this summer, I'm still pulling a few here and there. Let me correct that statement; LB has been doing the pulling :D

439.jpg

Just a few here and there, bhut we're staying in fresh peppers.

Bhut first, a pic of Charli dog. Yes baby, thanks for this, just before we fly out of town.

440.jpg

432.jpg

Proof the Aji Oro CAN produce pods in South Texas during the wicked summer months. This ones a keeper for sure!

434.jpg

The plants are a hangin' despite the heat. Some are still suffering from the nutrient leaching while a was away on vacation. I've been hitting them hard this weekend and last weekend. The hugel bed plants hung really well! The large orange thai is killing it!

435.jpg

And it's not caring about the temps ;)

436.jpg

433.jpg

Been working the mulch pile; some good heat in the pile :party:

437.jpg

438.jpg

The Crepe Myrtle's are in full bloom after the 6"s of rain we received. Just so many bees all the trees are a buzz.

431.jpg

The "Beast 2.0". A very addictive toy :shh:

Devv said:
441.jpg

First try at making Chile Relleno and the sauce from scratch. Used hot Hatch peppers, stuffed with beef and cheese. Good stuff!

Glad to see your chile quota has been keeping up despite the heat Scott... ;) If the Aji Oro and Orange Thai  can set pods there, I guess they're bulletproof!

I'd be interested in hearing your assessment of how long it takes RCW to rot down to the point where Nitrogen leaching isn't an issue.

Didn't know they had "Porkies" in west Texas, but if they have trees to climb...

Nice job on the chiles rellenos... keep up the good work, and welcome back. :)

Superhot Sim said:
Scott every pod is a victory dude and makes all the craft taste so much sweeter. Loads of ways you can still cook em out , or salsa, coleslaw, garlic chilli dips. [emoji6] Big yourself up your kick in ass dude big time. [emoji6][emoji106]

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Thanks Sim!

We're actually getting a break in the weather; high temps should be 95° and less, and going down even further as the week goes by. Hoping for highs around 85-90° here soon ;)

stickman said:

Glad to see your chile quota has been keeping up despite the heat Scott... ;) If the Aji Oro and Orange Thai  can set pods there, I guess they're bulletproof!

I'd be interested in hearing your assessment of how long it takes RCW to rot down to the point where Nitrogen leaching isn't an issue.

Didn't know they had "Porkies" in west Texas, but if they have trees to climb...

Nice job on the chiles rellenos... keep up the good work, and welcome back. :)

Thanks Rick!

It's been a really rough last 8 weeks here temp wise. And the plants have hung in there so far. I'm figuring out which do the best here production wise, and the Aji Oro and Large Orange Thai are at the top of the list. The JA Hab, and Jimmy Nardello's are hanging in there as well.

I too will be interested in how long the RCW takes to work. I tilled quite a bit in the last 2-3 years; and it's gone, totally broken down.

Charli's trip to the vet is the 5th time in the last 10 years we've had the pleasure of taking one in to have the quills removed; one time they weren't so bad, and I pulled them out. So 6 hits total. This time it came through a rabbit fence, just like the skunks :shh:

In the future we will make the chili rellenos with poblano peppers. I need to put together a recipe and post it, we combined several and winged it with the beef stuffing.

Datil said:
Great job Scott!
We should really make note of the best performing varieties in our climate and grow them in bulk but then... you start receiving new seeds from thp folks LOL

F

Thanks Fabrizio!

I'm most definitely taking notes this season, and will apply that for the next one.

So it seems Harvey is intent on paying us a visit. Now they're talking it may go cat 4, worst scenario. I'm in holy crap mode here. It's supposed to go a bit East of us, so we should be on the leeward (easy) side. I fear for those South of us, they say as much as 35"s of rain for some. 5-10"s for us. We won't flood here, we may get some erosion. I hope it's just hype. But they say it will stall over South Texas.

Please pray for those along the coastal and Southern areas. They are in for quite a ride!

God bless.

Back