• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2018-Loving life in the dirt

Here we go again! ;)

This year will be a mix of in the dirt and container growing. Mostly in the dirt. I have some OW's going, 5 are cut back, 6 are pubes that still spend time outdoors as the weather allows. I have pH issues in the dirt, working on that, and hoping for some better results this season. One thing the wife and I decided is to NOT grow into the fall again. I was pulling plants the same weekend I started my seeds. I'm using 4 2 bulb T8's with 6,500K bulbs, and 1 4 bulb T5 with I believe 6,500K bulbs.

So here's the list:

Planted 12-3-17

~Aji Amarillo
~Aji Dulce
~Scotchbrain
~Scotchbrain-Morugawelder
~P. Dreadie's-Windchicken
~BOC-Windchicken
 JA Habs
~Aji Oro
~pdn-bonda w PaulG
~pdn-bonda p PaulG
~pumpkin bb6-Morugawelder
~pumpkin bubblegum Bhuter
~orangegum tigermamp Bhuter
~7-pot cinder Bhuter
~pimente-neyde Bhuter
~Big Black mama-OCD Chilihead
~Brainstrain-Reaper OCD Chilihead

Planted 12-30-2017

~Jalapeno-Zapotec, Orange, Farmers.
~Poblano
~Bell-Yellow, Red.
~padrons
Hot Hatch
~Ancho
~Antep Aci Dolma
~Big Jim
~Anaheim
~Large Orange Thai
~Gochu-Stickman
~Aji Limo Rojo
Jimmy Nardello

Planted 1-1-2018

~Yellow Brainstrain- Pepperguru

The ~ indicates we have lift off.

I planted extra early to beat the heat, hoping for pods before the temps go crazy. I may have to buy more lights...LOL

Pics sometime tomorrow ;)

Walchit said:
Everything except that 10 day forecast looks great! We have been in the 90s for a while. I'm hoping to get some growth on the plants before it hits the 100s

Thanks Andy!

It's always a rush here to get some produce before the heat hits. Then it's either fold, or run it until New Years. We be folding this round..I am so far behind around here.

Ghaleon said:
Do you just shade them or take them inside when the heat gets to be a bit much? Does high humidity help or hurt?

I never bring them out of the elements unless it's too cold. If they're in the dirt and it gets too cold they die, if they're in containers, I put them in the shop until it warms.

I put the sun shades up once I see temps above 90° as a mean day time temp.

Hey Devv, I see that you are only a short 5 hr drive from Alpine TX. Have you been there ?My son and DIL are moving there in mid June ( she got into Grad school at the college there) any suggestions for me to pass on to them?

All the harvest looks great [emoji106]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devv said:
323.jpg

322.jpg

Those pictures are just beautiful. Sometimes hard work does pay off.

PtMD989 said:
Hey Devv, I see that you are only a short 5 hr drive from Alpine TX. Have you been there ?My son and DIL are moving there in mid June ( she got into Grad school at the college there) any suggestions for me to pass on to them?

All the harvest looks great [emoji106]

Hi Bryan,

Never been there, but have driven I-10 into Az. and passed the exits.

That's desert country, hot and dry, and real close to Mexico. I have one comment, stay out of Mexico, it's too unstable for my liking. The nearest city is El Paso and they have everything, but it's quite a drive. Also Odessa and Midland may be closer. Hopefully they can find everything they need close by ;)

Edit: If they have been living up north this will be a real change. Always hydrate. Down here they say drink 1/2 your weight in ounces of water everyday for me that's 100 ounces, more if your outside a lot. Here lately 1PM is a long day from sunup to be outside ;) 

Sawyer said:
Those pictures are just beautiful. Sometimes hard work does pay off.

Thanks John!

So far I'm happy with the results. Very little bug or critter damage. The Leaf Hoppers are trying to move in and we now know what to look for. We've been spraying a Neem solution on the new babies as we see them.

Devv said:

Hi Bryan,

Never been there, but have driven I-10 into Az. and passed the exits.

That's desert country, hot and dry, and real close to Mexico. I have one comment, stay out of Mexico, it's too unstable for my liking. The nearest city is El Paso and they have everything, but it's quite a drive. Also Odessa and Midland may be closer. Hopefully they can find everything they need close by ;)

Edit: If they have been living up north this will be a real change. Always hydrate. Down here they say drink 1/2 your weight in ounces of water everyday for me that's 100 ounces, more if your outside a lot. Here lately 1PM is a long day from sunup to be outside ;) 
Thanks. Alpine is about 1500 miles away from us here in Michigan. From what I can tell from Google Earth is, a whole lotta desert there. My DIL just got back from spending a month in Africa for school. She might be a little acclimated to the heat but my son isn’t. I hope the kids like rattle snakes and scorpions and heat. Haha

Devv said:

Sheesh, I can't keep up with what I have around here...lol

Actually, we own 20 acres out here. I wish I could come up with a low maintenance crop that would make me some $$$ :D

One thing that loves it out here is Rosemary. That plant was made for the semi desert.

Well, there you go!  Dry it up and send it out(don't know if there's any money in it though).

Great picks.  Love seeing you fine success this year. Scott - feel good, huh?  I'm patiently impatiently waiting for my time to come!

Devv said:

Sheesh, I can't keep up with what I have around here...lol

Actually, we own 20 acres out here. I wish I could come up with a low maintenance crop that would make me some $$$ :D

One thing that loves it out here is Rosemary. That plant was made for the semi desert.

Maybe think about starting a Nursery, that specializes in selling only chili plants, an hundred varieties. Maybe keep mother plants and take cuttings to sell.

PtMD989 said:
Thanks. Alpine is about 1500 miles away from us here in Michigan. From what I can tell from Google Earth is, a whole lotta desert there. My DIL just got back from spending a month in Africa for school. She might be a little acclimated to the heat but my son isn’t. I hope the kids like rattle snakes and scorpions and heat. Haha

The Scorpions should not be an issue; but the rattle snakes can be. One has to learn to watch for them, and to expect them. The kids need to be educated and learn to respect them. It surely doesn't hurt to know where to go in an emergency if one is struck by a snake.

cone9 said:

Well, there you go!  Dry it up and send it out(don't know if there's any money in it though).

Great picks.  Love seeing you fine success this year. Scott - feel good, huh?  I'm patiently impatiently waiting for my time to come!

Thanks Dave!

So far it's been a good year for everything but the Chinense. The weather this season hasn't been in their favor; maybe next year ;)

I'll eval the Rosemary once I can say I don't care what day of the week it is..and that's not soon enough for me!

Bhuter said:
Great job, Scott! Things are rolling in! Great colors on all of those pods. Congrats on getting awesome bells. I'm curious about the Antep Aci Dolma. Is that one producing? I'm curious about a few of your varieties. Lol. Nice stuff!

Thanks Adam!

The Antep Aci Dolma has been setting nicely, but so far the pods are being damaged by some sort of worm, or maggot. I see one nice pod that's been looking really good, and hoping we get to harvest it.

I'm at the point where if a pepper plant hasn't set pods yet, I'm declaring "off with it's head". It's not an easy thing to do with plants I've been growing since I started in early December. But they just won't make pods unless I keep them until the fall. And that's not going to happen this year. I made a promise to LB that we would end the garden once the maters are done this year. The house, the shop, and the out buildings (3) need paint. And I can't afford to pay someone, so I'm elected. :shh:

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
Maybe think about starting a Nursery, that specializes in selling only chili plants, an hundred varieties. Maybe keep mother plants and take cuttings to sell.

I retire in a year and a half. And I may have some good consulting options on my plate, if that's what I want to do. But right now I dunno. If I do decide to do some sort of Ag related endeavor, it would have to be worth my time. And that requires some research and thought ;)

Back