• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2018-Loving life in the dirt

Here we go again! ;)

This year will be a mix of in the dirt and container growing. Mostly in the dirt. I have some OW's going, 5 are cut back, 6 are pubes that still spend time outdoors as the weather allows. I have pH issues in the dirt, working on that, and hoping for some better results this season. One thing the wife and I decided is to NOT grow into the fall again. I was pulling plants the same weekend I started my seeds. I'm using 4 2 bulb T8's with 6,500K bulbs, and 1 4 bulb T5 with I believe 6,500K bulbs.

So here's the list:

Planted 12-3-17

~Aji Amarillo
~Aji Dulce
~Scotchbrain
~Scotchbrain-Morugawelder
~P. Dreadie's-Windchicken
~BOC-Windchicken
 JA Habs
~Aji Oro
~pdn-bonda w PaulG
~pdn-bonda p PaulG
~pumpkin bb6-Morugawelder
~pumpkin bubblegum Bhuter
~orangegum tigermamp Bhuter
~7-pot cinder Bhuter
~pimente-neyde Bhuter
~Big Black mama-OCD Chilihead
~Brainstrain-Reaper OCD Chilihead

Planted 12-30-2017

~Jalapeno-Zapotec, Orange, Farmers.
~Poblano
~Bell-Yellow, Red.
~padrons
Hot Hatch
~Ancho
~Antep Aci Dolma
~Big Jim
~Anaheim
~Large Orange Thai
~Gochu-Stickman
~Aji Limo Rojo
Jimmy Nardello

Planted 1-1-2018

~Yellow Brainstrain- Pepperguru

The ~ indicates we have lift off.

I planted extra early to beat the heat, hoping for pods before the temps go crazy. I may have to buy more lights...LOL

Pics sometime tomorrow ;)

stc3248 said:
Safe travels my brotha! Nice hauls as well! I have some picking to do myself...been on the busy train like the rest of y'all. Hit me up if you're close by and maybe we can get a beer...or more. 

Thanks Shane!

PM me your number. I'm in North Myrtle Beach the 27-28-29th. I have no idea what's going on when I get there or how far you are away. The 24-26th I'm in Murrels Inlet with the Birthday girl, she's 84 come Tuesday ;)

Let's see what happens ;)

Back from the road trip. The garden hung in there, my daughter was house sitting for us, and I had it on auto pilot. It rained a few inches over a few days and I had her turn off the rain bird system after the rains.

344.jpg

341.jpg

342.jpg

343.jpg

Time to make some sauces ;)

DWB said:
Nice bunch of pickings. How long did it take you to clean the jungle?

Good road trip? Nice to see you back.

Thanks Dee,

We had a few inches of rain while we were away, and it was spaced out enough to get all the weeds going. Today was day 3 of catching up. A lot of weeds, which have been mostly pulled, and I finished pulling the tomato plants. I have been putting those beds down until next season with a sulfur treatment for the high PH, covered with a layer of compost and then a layer of wood chip mulch. As things move along the goal is to get the PH down into the mid 7's for next season. The plants are hating the 8+ PH we currently have.

The trip was a great escape from the working world. Spent 3 days at each of my parents places. We took Mom out to dinner for her 84th B-day, she really enjoyed that ;)

Being both of them are getting on in age and my free time goes up exponentially come October, we will take the trip again in late October

Devv said:
Back from the road trip. The garden hung in there, my daughter was house sitting for us, and I had it on auto pilot. It rained a few inches over a few days and I had her turn off the rain bird system after the rains.

344.jpg

341.jpg

342.jpg

343.jpg

Time to make some sauces ;)
Looks like you got some sorting ta do, eh[emoji106][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great to see you returned safely, Scott.
Glad you had a good time with your folks.
Sounds like retirement is starting to sink in!

Pretty fair haul of pods, my friend! The white
BMJ x PdN really stands out in the first pic!
Looks close to pure white!

As you have probably noticed by now, the aji arnaucho go through several stages and produce very very well. I would suggest tasting them any time after the green/purple phase. I thought orange had a very interesting flavor and a little less heat than fully ripe. A bit more fruity too when peach to orange than red. IIRC they are commonly used before fully ripe.

BTW did you grow MOA reds from MWCH seeds? I did last year and everyone looked like the 4 red pods on the bottom of this pic.
342.jpg

Nice way to come home Devv, welcome back! Sounds like you had a great trip, and now also plenty to do upon return... Nice that you were able to have the garden on autopilot, with a backup in place just in case, no better way to leave all the plants while you're away.

That's one heck of a harvest, so nice and colorful! :) Let us know if you do anything fancy with them!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
Looks like you got some sorting ta do, eh[emoji106][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got that right!

Most went in the dehydrator for seasonings. When the milder peppers are mixed with the hotter ones some very interesting flavors come out. LB (the wife) takes care of that.

Edit:

looks like a sauce makers dream. but what do you pick to go with what now. :onfire:

I also make a puree with similar combinations and add pineapple juice, vinegar, and agave nectar to knock the edge off.

PaulG said:
Great to see you returned safely, Scott.
Glad you had a good time with your folks.
Sounds like retirement is starting to sink in!

Pretty fair haul of pods, my friend! The white
BMJ x PdN really stands out in the first pic!
Looks close to pure white!

Thanks Paul,

I will call TRS Monday to get the retirement paperwork in the works. Funny thing, well kinda...the school board is voting on a 7% of mid-point in the pay scale across the board raise. That's over 5K a year for me, to late, I'm going anyways. Though it would have really helped if this happened 5 years ago..

As for the white pods, I've been saving seeds, and they are the whitest pods I've ever grown. I gave up on the ones I planted and reused the pots for maters, and one day I had purple seedlings mixed in with the maters. Needless to say I grew them out, and I'm glad I did!

Devv said:

You got that right!

Most went in the dehydrator for seasonings. When the milder peppers are mixed with the hotter ones some very interesting flavors come out. LB (the wife) takes care of that.

Edit:

I also make a puree with similar combinations and add pineapple juice, vinegar, and agave nectar to knock the edge off.

sounds really tasty!

ShowMeDaSauce said:
As you have probably noticed by now, the aji arnaucho go through several stages and produce very very well. I would suggest tasting them any time after the green/purple phase. I thought orange had a very interesting flavor and a little less heat than fully ripe. A bit more fruity too when peach to orange than red. IIRC they are commonly used before fully ripe.

BTW did you grow MOA reds from MWCH seeds? I did last year and everyone looked like the 4 red pods on the bottom of this pic.
342.jpg

The Aji Arnaucho is a keeper for sure. I wasn't sure what they would turn out color wise when they ripened and tried them when they went green. They were really good at that stage. I haven't tried them at the red stage yet. They do produce like crazy for sure!

Those four red peppers at the bottom are a P. Dreadie cross. My notes say I used Gary's seed that he sent me awhile back. But, I'm thinking they crossed with a JA Hab in my garden and I had him listed as the originator of the seeds. My bad for poor record keeping...it could be a cross from his garden?

However they are especially tasty and are quite aromatic when dried...seeds have been saved ;)

lespaulde said:
Nice way to come home Devv, welcome back! Sounds like you had a great trip, and now also plenty to do upon return... Nice that you were able to have the garden on autopilot, with a backup in place just in case, no better way to leave all the plants while you're away.

That's one heck of a harvest, so nice and colorful! :) Let us know if you do anything fancy with them!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Thanks Erv!

The road trip was fun! I enjoy them as does the wife, quite an escape from the everyday work week for sure. It was also good to see both parents, who are 84 now in good health and quite lucid still!

A few years ago we used the timers that connect to the hose and each year I had to buy new ones. Our well water has quite a bit of minerals in it and they trash them after one 10 day run, they won't work for year 2. 3 years ago I bought a rainbird timer and 2 solenoids, they are the real deal and work year after year. My daughter and her family came and stayed here while we were gone, she kept an eye on the garden and took care of our 3 dogs. We left at the tail end of our harvest season, and still had onions, tomatoes, garlic, and potatoes on the tables we use for produce. She said some of the maters went south (she should have ate them), and for some reason threw out a years supply of garlic, found it in the mulch pile. It was properly dried, so we don't know why? But she doesn't really cook, and probably didn't know what they were....LOL. I'll tell her next year when I show her the next harvest ;)

Back