• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv: Someday, I'll get this right, South Tejas Growing

Well I'm way behind this season. Hopefully I can do better....no guarantees!

I'm still trying to figure out this "new normal", my brother said it took him a full year.

Any way:

Last year, could be the year before as they all seem to meld together now :rolleyes:  I cleared the Crepe Myrtle trees that were invading the garden root-wise. That spot WAS the original garden 31 years ago.

12.jpg

Now that area looks like this:

21.jpg

I added 600 square feet to the garden, the soil is pretty darned saweet! Back then I added 16 yards of Black Gumbo to help with the drainage. Then LB wanted a pool, which is now gone. Garden reclaimed! The goal is to have a crop rotation so we can keep diseases at bay, as I mainly used the 1,600 sf fenced area for night shades.

During the off season I made some Bio Char. I need to take pics of the new kiln I made, that will come later.

Crunched char. I use the tractor to crush it on the driveway, it's laid on an old sheet to make it easier to pick up.

13.jpg

I use the old chipper-shredder to grind it. First I wet it so the dust isn't an issue.

15.jpg

14.jpg

Then I grind all this, and this is just a sample of what gets ground.

16.jpg

Then it rests here until we add it to the soil.

41.jpg

Hey Devv, How big are Kumatos getting, eh[emoji848]. They never really get big for me, just under tennis ball size. Maybe this is my year for big maters [emoji16].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devv said:
Thanks Adam!

I've been saving seeds and will get some out to you, I have a note on my desk.
Regarding the Haskorea, so far they all have went to the dehydrator. This time of year is crazy. We have 3 tables setup for Tomatoes, Onions, Garlic, and Potatoes.
They're all full, plus What's outside on the porch tables..LOL

The German Pink are coming along. Here we get 3-5 maters per plant, and they get huge! LB has a another new favorite. The Kumato. Bryan (PtMD989) sent us some seeds, they grow like crazy!
I never heard of the KBX? How's the flavor?
Holy moly! Busy busy! I need to expand my varieties of veggies.
The KBX is new to me. I just got seeds from Sandra (fiogga) along with other greats like Liz Birt, Garden Peach Tomato, and Dancing With Smurfs and and and. Lots! Same from LuckyLuke! And ShoreRider!!!! A lot of foreign-to-me maters this year!

Thank you sir!!! Looking fantastic! And thank you for any and all seeds!!!!
:woohoo:

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
Sick pods ya got, I’m running behind but I’ll catch ya  ;) . Crazy about the deer eating your overflow guys plants, tell him to sprinkle cayenne on them. Should repel em I’d think 
nice pooches too  :metal:
They also trashed his new Lemon trees, seems the bucks chose them for rubs..
I told his wife to get some cattle panels and build around what they don't want eaten..

Siv said:
Looks like you need to change the title of this thread as it's seems you've got it right!
Thanks Siv!

I learned from you about East facing plants. Those I have along the East fence are doing the best. 30% sunshade was never enough..

PtMD989 said:
Hey Devv, How big are Kumatos getting, eh[emoji848]. They never really get big for me, just under tennis ball size. Maybe this is my year for big maters [emoji16].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Kumatos are getting about the same size, and are quite productive. LB is the fresh mater eater, and she loves them. We have too many to eat, so a sauce is in the near future ;)

Thanks again for the seeds!

Bhuter said:
Holy moly! Busy busy! I need to expand my varieties of veggies.
The KBX is new to me. I just got seeds from Sandra (fiogga) along with other greats like Liz Birt, Garden Peach Tomato, and Dancing With Smurfs and and and. Lots! Same from LuckyLuke! And ShoreRider!!!! A lot of foreign-to-me maters this year!

Thank you sir!!! Looking fantastic! And thank you for any and all seeds!!!!
:woohoo:

Yes sir we have been busy. We canned another 6+ quarts of maters today.

PM me your address and I'll get some going ;)

Devv said:
The Kumatos are getting about the same size, and are quite productive. LB is the fresh mater eater, and she loves them. We have too many to eat, so a sauce is in the near future ;)

Thanks again for the seeds!

Yes sir we have been busy. We canned another 6+ quarts of maters today.

PM me your address and I'll get some going ;)
Wow, man!
Didn't you retire? Lol.
Both of you are very "Domesticated". Lol. J/k. I'm that way, though. I do most of the cooking around here, and to cook, you have to clean. But I have the "I can't stop continuing" problem when it comes to cleaning. To clean one thing, you must clean another or, 'I just wanted to wipe off this counter and ended up cleaning the entire kitchen.' Lol.
To add to that:
I KNOW the "continuing" part is going to happen, and I'm lazy and overthink everything, so I'll stop all of that nonsense initially by playing it out until the "roaming of the cleaning rag".
"Nah, I don't need to wipe this counter.
Lol.

ANYWAY, speaking of segues...............
I'm gonna pm you a pic of some maters to choose from (or choose all). And I'll get that addy to you.

Oh, you're gonna laugh, but I dried out the goats weed and I still crumble/crush one up in a ramen. Lol. Asian dishes work also. I used it like a Thai.

I replied to your message, and have to think about which mater seeds. They're all new to me.

Yeah, every other day 5-6 quarts, sometime 2 days in a row. We made a huge pot of Spaghetti sauce, and have 32 or more quarts put up. We're hoping that we are at the halfway point..NOT!
We would really be overwhelmed if the 15 in the old part of the garden did anything, they're just making from golfball to handball sized..LOL

Around here I try to help, and am damn good at making a mess.....one of my specialties. But LB's kitchen is her kitchen, and she's wiping up as I mess along :rolleyes:
I do all the outside cooking. Last week I smoked a Pork Butt (shoulder roast) for about 7 hours. First time for me. It's a pulled pork recipe from Aaaron Franklin; he owns a BBQ place in Central Texas, people stand in line for hours to buy his food.
He made a few Youtube videos, there is some really good info there. BTW, the roast was to die for. Vid link below.
We will dry those pods, Thanks!

A few more pics..

251.jpg

Aji Arnaucho, I thought these were sweet peppers (foogot) LB put them in a salad, cut them up with bare hands. She's a delicate flower and they burned her hands for 3 hours.
I only got slapped once for telling her to "man up" :shh: :rofl:

257.jpg

Bells are close, dang bugs are hammering the Bells and Pobs.

259.jpg

The Big Jim's left the gate late and never got any hurry in em, bhut finally getting close.
They had better, "they" say triple #'s temp wise really soon, like 7 days.
My "they" peeps are as good as Stetto's...

Devv, that plate of Thunder is just incredible.
And the white Trippaul Threat pods really
shine in that group pic! Thanks for giving
those a good home!

To me, the Goat’s Weed peppers make a great
powder. A little bit of heat and a pretty decent
addition to a flavor profile of whatever dish it is
used on. I have also made powder with the Goat’s
Weed and Chili Costa Rica mixed together that
turned out really well.

PaulG said:
Devv, that plate of Thunder is just incredible.
And the white Trippaul Threat pods really
shine in that group pic! Thanks for giving
those a good home!

To me, the Goat’s Weed peppers make a great
powder. A little bit of heat and a pretty decent
addition to a flavor profile of whatever dish it is
used on. I have also made powder with the Goat’s
Weed and Chili Costa Rica mixed together that
turned out really well.
I have a bunch to pull in the morning as well. I'd like to thank you once again for the seeds. They love it here!
Yesterday I found 4 big fat hornworms on the plants along the fence. I just love the pop they make when they get stomped ;)

I'm behind on posting, these are from Monday..

264.jpg

skullbiker said:
You should get a U.V. flashlight and go hornworm hunting after dark. They are fairly easy to spot that way.
I need to!

This time of the year is grasshopper time here, and I thought that what was eating the plants. Until I saw one, then 3 more. I was surprised they hit the container gals; but the potting soil I used was sitting in a bin for a few years in the back of the garden.

Mr.joe said:
They sure are. I started obsessing with it last year. I've found worms with a uv light that were so small you could hardly tell they were hornworms at all. No worms this year... yet
Does the light work on other types of worms, like Army worms?

CaneDog said:

So I'm curious Devv, does the capsaicin slap sting twice?  ;)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Devv said:
I have a bunch to pull in the morning as well. I'd like to thank you once again for the seeds. They love it here!
Yesterday I found 4 big fat hornworms on the plants along the fence. I just love the pop they make when they get stomped ;)

I'm behind on posting, these are from Monday..

264.jpg
Ugh. I learned the hard way to put them in a bucket and drop a brick on them. No matter what, without a bucket, you'll get some sort of entrails on you. Lol.

Man, I want some fresh peppers.
<<<walks up to Devv's produce stand and buys a box...>>>>Lol.
Damn store just has sweets and normies.

Mr.joe said:
My coworker has been finding hornworms using only new soil and his first year growing.
This is the time of the year when I usually see them, last year they hit early and we were finding 4-5 a day for quite some time.

Their natural camo works wonderfully. I see a black light on my next Amazon buy..

Bhuter said:
Ugh. I learned the hard way to put them in a bucket and drop a brick on them. No matter what, without a bucket, you'll get some sort of entrails on you. Lol.

Man, I want some fresh peppers.
<<<walks up to Devv's produce stand and buys a box...>>>>Lol.
Damn store just has sweets and normies.
Ever read the post where Sawyer, as a kid stepped on one and took the whole shot of the goo in his open mouth? I'm pretty careful..LOL

Mr.joe said:
When I'm hunting hornworms I just carry a cup of soapy water drop the worm into the cup and they never move again. So much cleaner than smashing them.
Smashing them is half the fun in my book :D

Mr.joe said:
When I'm hunting hornworms I just carry a cup of soapy water drop the worm into the cup and they never move again. So much cleaner than smashing them.
Thank you for that! Yes! That's so much better!

I did the "Drop-A-Rock" one time (ONE TIME) on a mouse. They pop too. Socks were shot.

Back