• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2015 - 16, Life is good!

Well here we go again!

I just got finished planting seeds for 70 plants. Scaling back a bit this year; last year was a lot of work! That and I have to do more than garden this season ;)

My apologies as I can't remember shit where I got all the seeds from. Some were harvested from pods some I saved, and some were sent to me. I can say this 99% originated from the most generous THP members!

Without further ado, here's the 2015 list:

Red 7 Pot Lava: Mikey
Black Thai        : Mikey
Yellow Jonah  : Mikey
Jack’s Choc Superhot: Mikey
Red Bhutlah   : Mikey
Tepin x Lemmon drop
Pimenta Lisa : Stefan
Brazilian Starfish
Bell
Poblano
Billy Biker
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Bishops Crown
Sweet Hungarian Paprika
Bahamian Goat
Urfa Biber
Jelly Bean White Hab
Jigsaw
Nagabrain F4
Numex Jalamundo
Cream Fatalii
Isabella Island Hab: Jim
Cherry Bomb: Jim
Moa
Kurt’s
JA Habs
White Bhut
Anaheim
Jigsaw
Burgundy
Ma Wiri wiri: Jim
Pepperdew: Jim
Pimenta De Padron: Jim
Wild tepin: Jim
Jigsaw
Six secrets from Stefan
Orange Primo: Mikey
Choc Bhutlah
Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red
Red Lava: Mikey
White Hab
Naga King: Rick
BOC: Rick

I leaned more towards peppers my wife can eat. After all she helped me quite a bit, I might as well grow some for her ;)

Last season was a challenge regarding what was what. I eventually figured them out, but was not happy with the confusion. And yeah, I'm easily confused.

Here's a pic of the 70 starters:

1.jpg

Trying something different, the Jiffy's are numbered and will be entered into a spreadsheet. As they pop, they will go into the solo cups with permanent marker to label them.

This year I'm starting things in the converted hunting room (man cave?). LB wanted the extra bedroom back ;)  The room is part of the shop; 24x8 and insulated. It's been rather nasty for the last 4 or 5 days, damp and temps below 52°, but it was 68° in there a few minutes ago. Also I'm trying a heating mat to help with germination, which was abysmal IMHO last year.

Anyone who knows how I fly, knows I like to grow in the dirt. I have a few in containers from last season, but they just don't do as well.

I put a ton (literally) of work into the soil since the start of last season.

I feel soil preparation is the key to success:

1214.jpg

1216.jpg

I tilled in over 24 yards of RCW and 10 yards of shredded leaves after pulling the plants in the fall.

2.jpg

I then planted Crimson Clover and Rye as a cover crop, this pic is from 2 weeks ago..

3.jpg

The area I planted the cover crop in is 2,300 to 2,500 square feet. Half is framed for sunshade. A must in the 100% summer sun the garden gets. There's some Comfrey of the left ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dec. 6th I tilled in the whole shootin' match. I waited too long. But I do like it when it darkens up. This is what it looks like after 2 2" deep passes. If you wait too long the roots form a sod, this makes for a bad day of tilling. I got this far and decided to call it. Shiner time!

Once I'm sure most is dead and wont come back when I water crop 2 goes in.

6.jpg

On 12-10

The grass on top has dried, and rain is forecast through Sunday (yeah right), so I tilled again. It brought up the grass from below and now the garden looks like last Sunday. I went a couple of notches deeper this time to break up more of the roots. I spread rye seed and watered for 45 minutes. It should come up quickly as the weather is warm for a week or more. 50's-70's.

7.jpg

This is the garden today, the second cover crop is just coming up. And I have to prep an area for onions, which hit the dirt January 15th. The rest gets tilled in at the end of the month.

I fly out of here tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back until a week from now. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

I am absolutely blown away by the size of your tomato plants!  Sucks that you are having pepper issues, but those tomatos are certainly a positive thing!

That Wheel/Assassin bug you found was really cool looking. Looks like you're having a time with pests this year. You'll learn from it and adapt like you were saying. I went to town on aphids I found on my indoor plants yesterday. Hopefully got rid of them.

TXCG said:
That orange bug is a freshly molted assassin bug. Don't squish that one!

MwI3cLw.jpg

Everything the dang critters haven't eaten is looking great. Hope you have better luck with the peppers this fall though. 
Thanks!

And I left it be, so it's working for me ;)

moruga welder said:
nice garden bro , hang tough !   it'll get better ,      :onfire:
 Thanks!

I continue to trap rats, Skunks, and Possums. I was talking to the Ag department and a few other at work and I'm not the Lone Ranger in these parts. Since the rains came back in town the last 2 years we're all seeing more critters. Quail were just gone for 5 years, and now they're all over the place again.

bpiela said:
I am absolutely blown away by the size of your tomato plants!  Sucks that you are having pepper issues, but those tomatos are certainly a positive thing!
 Thanks!

Tomatoes I have down, been growing them for 34-35 years. I have my technique posted earlier in this glog. The soil work helps too ;)  I started out with sand. The peppers for me, are still work in progress. Got serious in the last 5 years and will do much better next season. This year I lost 4-6 weeks due to poor germination. I've come full circle and realize they germ best if I start them on a table in the dining room and when they pop put them under lights..

Ozzy2001 said:
Looks like you're getting the control back over the pests. Hopefully, it stays that way. Plants are looking great!
Thanks!

And yes! I'm gaining ground on the buggers :shh:

Trident chilli said:
Such a shame ... great photos and an awesome garden ...
 Thanks!

It's my release from the workday, and even with the issues I just love to be out there doing anything. ;)

Peter S said:
That Wheel/Assassin bug you found was really cool looking. Looks like you're having a time with pests this year. You'll learn from it and adapt like you were saying. I went to town on aphids I found on my indoor plants yesterday. Hopefully got rid of them.
 That's the first one I've seen at that stage, and glad it's a friend ;) Just tons of ladybugs working the garden this year. One thing I haven't seen in the garden this year is the wasps, but the bug pests have been slim, considering the rains. I hope I haven't spoke too soon :shh:

FreeportBum said:
Beautiful garden, everything looks really nice. Thanks for sharing, keep it green!

:cheers:

Thank you very much!

Well today I have a few hooks! Planted Saturday, Basil and Giant White Habs have popped. Hope they all pop really soon so I can get them out there. Looks like I'll be growing peppers until December.

They say....bad storms tonight. Possible large hail...my fingers are crossed. That crap need to go away!

Thanks for stopping by!

Not liking the weather.

The hail with that.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm going back to check out the tomato technique. I have lots of tomato's this year. I found that Harbor Frieght sells mesh. I think I can use it as a shade cloth down the line. A guy in the community uses it for shade cloth with good success. Can't afford to invest to much this year.

OCD Chilehead said:
Not liking the weather.

The hail with that.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm going back to check out the tomato technique. I have lots of tomato's this year. I found that Harbor Frieght sells mesh. I think I can use it as a shade cloth down the line. A guy in the community uses it for shade cloth with good success. Can't afford to invest to much this year.
 We made it though all the bad weather just fine. A few miles north got 3" hail stones; for some reason, probably because we're on a high ridge we were spared. Most storms seem to split and go around. We call it the Devine split, maybe it should be called the divine split ;). But it many times causes rain to miss us.

I bought this for the birds:

http://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Grade-Heavy-Netting-Black/dp/B00QMTMAMY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

it was $75, and they sell in less amounts.

it's been really nice picking ripe toms without the bird damage, finally after 34 years!

Well we got over 5"s over 5 days, during May? That's just incredible.

The pepper damage seems to have stopped; I still am having the rat traps trigger, with no critters. The live trap is mainly useless :mope:

The half eaten peppers are rebounding; albeit small. Peppers in the future, but when? Times running out here for a spring pod set.

Nice to see that you are trapping some of the rodents.  It is also nice to see that it is allowed.  In the great state of NJ, that is taboo.  I had a groundhog problem until I carted them away in my Have-aHeart trap.  One day I was home when my exterminator was here and he saw the trap and said that I could get a nice fine if my neighbors reported me.  So far so good.  Hopefully you have thinned out the heard enough to allow your fruit and veggies to flourish.  

Glad to here the weather missed ya. 5" in 5 days is crazy. SoCal would love some of that. Maybe if you put the live trap in a box or covered it with something, you might get something. I know rodents like to feel safe and will run under cover and lurk. That's of my mouse traps work.

tctenten said:
Nice to see that you are trapping some of the rodents.  It is also nice to see that it is allowed.  In the great state of NJ, that is taboo.  I had a groundhog problem until I carted them away in my Have-aHeart trap.  One day I was home when my exterminator was here and he saw the trap and said that I could get a nice fine if my neighbors reported me.  So far so good.  Hopefully you have thinned out the heard enough to allow your fruit and veggies to flourish.  

One thing that's cool about where I live is there are no restrictions, and we have the mineral rights to the 20 acres. So I can shoot guns, both pistol and rifle, hunt, and trap. And when I call the county about packs of roaming pit bulls trying to get in the fence to kill my pups; they say "you have every right to protect your property as you see fit". I'm not one for indiscriminately shooting critters, I hate to do it, and always feel bad if I have to. So next year the plan is to make it so I don't have to. The only law I know of is that you can't relocate coons and other such critters to another location, because it's "sharing" the bad animals that may have diseases such as rabies, etc.

And yeah NJ cost me 10k back in 1980, long story ;)  But I have a clean record ;)  They don't appreciate us from down south...LOL.

So the last 5 days no critters, no damage. And I'm liking that! The few plants that were "trimmed" are coming back. The ones that were ate to the ground, uh, not :mope:

OCD Chilehead said:
Glad to here the weather missed ya. 5" in 5 days is crazy. SoCal would love some of that. Maybe if you put the live trap in a box or covered it with something, you might get something. I know rodents like to feel safe and will run under cover and lurk. That's of my mouse traps work.

Yeah, 5"s is crazy, especially here as dry as it's been. I'm a big fan of El Nino! So far no split produce from all the rain, which was a big worry with all the maters close to picking. :shh:

I haven't even reset the live trap. The Victor rat traps are working really well, as are the DP's. But something is still visiting as the peanut butter is all gone from the rat trap and one of the DP's was emptied without a trip. I'm thinking mice. If so that's OK as they don't harm anything.

I need to post some pics tomorrow, but it's really hard to show a pepper grow, as they're beaten and eaten...LOL

I had a red Manzano pop today, fresh seeds from Wendy at work. The first 2 plants died, I had them on the outdoor grow table and it just rained and rained. My fault, I was paying attention. The rest are just in waiting mode. I will have a pepper harvest if it kills me. Looking like late October, early November, although I have some sweets in the wings..

Don't expire over pepper harvest. We will pitch in and send you a harvest. LoL!

What you making with the tomato? Canning? Salsa?

Good luck Scott

stickman said:
S'right buddy... never say die! Glad to hear you seem to have the Rats on the run! Cheers!
 Just an expression ;)

But yeah, I gotta watch what I say, being old fart in closing in on me. Traps untouched in 3 days, and that's a good thing!

Maybe this guy (gal) has been helping!

It got wound up in the bird netting.

87.jpg

I grabbed it behind the head and LB cut the netting off, I thought she was going to pass out! Yeah, I'm filthy! All that rain has the humidity through the roof. I stacked firewood for 3 hours before hitting the garden...today made me think of an old SNL skit with Gilda Radner, I sure was the "sweatball" today :rolleyes:

OCD Chilehead said:
Don't expire over pepper harvest. We will pitch in and send you a harvest. LoL!

What you making with the tomato? Canning? Salsa?

Good luck Scott

Thanks Chuck!

We'll can most of them, use some for salsa and give some away. They did much better than average, so we'll be loaded down for sure.

randyp said:
On the Rats Scott,Shoot em All,let  God sort them out. ;)
 LOL, well, snakes have moved in, gotta watch for rattlers now, and feral cats are hanging around here now too. I think we're done with the bastages.

Despite the carnage this spring I do have a few peppers coming on:

79.jpg

Large Cayenne

81.jpg

Jimmy Nardello's

82.jpg

Urfa Bieber's

85.jpg

Young "Kurt's".

86.jpg

Store bought Serano coming back from chomp land, and flowering.

77.jpg

Hookage! Red Manzano's popped in 6 days.

78.jpg

Some more hookage, White Bhut's Billy Biker's, MoA's, Tepin x Lemon Drop's and Basil.

76.jpg

onions we got, this is half the harvest :shh:

Thanks for stopping by!

WooHoo! That's a lot of onion's. Glad to see you've got some pepper's to.

Was that a gopher snake? That thing is huge. It's been eating a lot of something.

OCD Chilehead said:
WooHoo! That's a lot of onion's. Glad to see you've got some pepper's to.

Was that a gopher snake? That thing is huge. It's been eating a lot of something.

I don't know what kind of snake it was, around here if it's not a poisonous one they usually call them rat snakes. It sure was happy to be set free!

Yeah it was a good 5' long, it was also very docile. Maybe it knew I was trying to help it.

We're going to have to freeze onions this year, as they don't keep well here. We're already canning maters, and garlic will be done in a few weeks. I have two varieties from Georgia and Romania that my brother sent me. They do really well here and in Ohio. I'll be sharing these if your interested.

Devv said:
I don't know what kind of snake it was, around here if it's not a poisonous one they usually call them rat snakes. It sure was happy to be set free!

Yeah it was a good 5' long, it was also very docile. Maybe it knew I was trying to help it.

We're going to have to freeze onions this year, as they don't keep well here. We're already canning maters, and garlic will be done in a few weeks. I have two varieties from Georgia and Romania that my brother sent me. They do really well here and in Ohio. I'll be sharing these if your interested.
I most definitely would be interested. Glad to hear your already canning. I was wondering if you've ever canned tomato sauce, with onions, garlic, and spices. Like spaghetti sauce.

Back