• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Diabetes

Whatcha got?

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2008 at the young age of 34. Typically called juvenile diabetes. But no more. My aunt was diagnosed at 34-35. The game is changing and has been.

My current setup is an insulin pump. I get on average 1 unit per hour and then an average of 9 units per meal three times a day.

I just got an email that I am automatically getting an upgraded pump system that works closer to a real pancreas. That involves an extra sensor that I have been using that is linked to my pump and sugar checker.

I have seen one study that thinks that the pancreas still works but nerves around the pancreas will not let insulin release. With the help of capsaicin injected into the nerves the pancreas will start working again. IN RATS.

My Wife has been a Type 1 diabetic since the age of 9. In my Father`s family there are quite a number of both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics. It`s why we didn`t have children. Can`t subject anyone to that, if at all possible. 

Not sure about the studies using capsaicin. Rats don`t generally get diabetes, so there is an experimental "model" rat that has been given diabetes artificially. Mouse, too.

Type 1 diabetics usually have an auto-immune condition where antibodies in their blood attack and kill the beta-cells in the pancreas. The beta cells are the ones that make/secrete insulin. That`s not always the case, but in every case, the beta cells stop working, so there is little or no insulin produced. The study you are referring to was published in around 2006,

(NaturalNews) A new Canadian animal study published in Friday's issue of the journal Cell found that mice injected with capsaicin -- the chemical that makes chili peppers hot -- were rapidly cured of Type 1 diabetes.

Researchers from the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto believe that Type 1 diabetes -- the most serious form of the disease that usually appears in childhood -- is caused by malfunctioning pain nerves that surround cells in the pancreas.

In patients suffering from Type 1 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce sufficient levels of insulin, causing inflammation and death of insulin-producing islet cells in the pancreas. Experts have long believed that the condition was caused by the body's immune system turning against itself, but the Toronto researchers -- immunologist Dr. Hans Michael Dosch and pain expert Dr. Michael Salter -- theorized faulty pancreatic pain neurons could be to blame.

Dosch had observed in previous research that islet cells in diabetics were surrounded by an "enormous" number of pain nerves that signaled the brain that the pancreatic tissue was damaged.

To test their theory, Dosch and Salter injected capsaicin into mice that had Type 1 diabetes, to kill the animals' pancreatic pain nerves. The researchers said they were stunned to discover that the injected mice's islet cells began producing insulin normally almost immediately.

”I couldn't believe it," Salter said. "Mice with diabetes suddenly didn't have diabetes anymore."

Dosch and Salter discovered on further research that the pancreatic nerve cells were a vital part of the functioning of islet cells, by secreting neuropeptides that tell the islets to release insulin. The nerves weren't secreting enough neuropeptides, causing a "vicious cycle" of stress on the islets.

The researchers then injected the neuropeptide -- dubbed "substance P" -- into the pancreases of the diabetic mice. The mice's islet inflammation rapidly cleared up, and the animals' diabetes disappeared. According to Dosch and Salter, some mice have remained "cured" for up to four months with a single injection.

The researchers also found that their capsaicin/"substance P" treatments helped curb the insulin resistance that causes Type 2 diabetes.

According to consumer health advocate Mike Adams, author of "How to Halt Diabetes in 25 Days," Dosch and Salter's study proves that Type 1 diabetes -- like Type 2 diabetes -- is "a disease of cellular miscommunication.

"It also shows that diabetes can, indeed, be cured, and that's a fact that the conventional medical community simply does not want to acknowledge," Adams said. "Treating diabetes is far too lucrative. Embracing a cure would devastate the drug companies and health care businesses that depend on a diabetes epidemic."

I`ve just looked and they haven`t published more on this since 2006. That`s not a good sign at all.

This is a link to the article,

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867406014656

That's the one Nigel. Thank you for bringing the knowledge.
It is kinda assumed that maybe when I had a severe inner ear imbalance or ear infection that is what set my body to killing the beta cells.
I would really like to think it could be cured by eating superhot pods. Instead of spending so much money on medical supplies. That would be cool.

It`s unlikely your ear infection was the cause of this. It is a multi-factorial disease, meaning a number of things have to go wrong before you get full blown diabetes. Probably as many as 6 different things, actually. 

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago that I have Type 1 diabetes.  Ended up in the hospital for 3 days on a insulin IV (and at one time...5 other IV bags.  :rolleyes:).  I'm currently on injections for the next 3 weeks until we see what the body's going to do.   

I do not fit the profile of being an At Risk person at all, but it does run in the family.  My brother's had it since childhood and a few others in our distant family tree have diabetes and hypoglycemia.  He does not take care of himself the best and has had a couple health things come up because of that.   

Hasn't slowed me down much.  We've been water skiing, working in construction, taking care of bidnis.  We're still in the early stages and waiting to see if things will mellow out or if I'll have to be on insulin from now on. 

Wow.... sorry to hear, folks. I can't imagine how tough it must be to have to completely change your lifestyle after freewheeling for so long. Bu how awesome would that be that you happen to be in the PERFECT place, withe the perfect hobby to possibly combat that????? Best of luck and prayers to you all.

salsalady said:
I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago that I have Type 1 diabetes.  Ended up in the hospital for 3 days on a insulin IV (and at one time...5 other IV bags.  :rolleyes:).  I'm currently on injections for the next 3 weeks until we see what the body's going to do.   

I do not fit the profile of being an At Risk person at all, but it does run in the family.  My brother's had it since childhood and a few others in our distant family tree have diabetes and hypoglycemia.  He does not take care of himself the best and has had a couple health things come up because of that.   

Hasn't slowed me down much.  We've been water skiing, working in construction, taking care of bidnis.  We're still in the early stages and waiting to see if things will mellow out or if I'll have to be on insulin from now on. 
Sorry to hear that, but it is a very manageable disease these days. Finding out the way you did must have been pretty scary.

it`s becoming clear that Type 1 can have an onset well into life, 20s-40`s and that is interesting from a scientific standpoint, while being bloody miserable if you are the one to get it. Genetics play a big role, but it isn`t clear how late onset like this works. What is clear is that it runs in families and can be traced through many generations.

I wish you all the luck coping with this and hope you beta cells start working again. Threaten them with superhots on a daily basis, that might work!!!

I've had Type 2 for about 10 years and control has been getting much harder. I've become increasingly insulin resistant, I've started losing weight but it hasn't made a difference yet.

I never knew Type 1 could happen later in life, I'm glad they are making some headway in treating it.

Nigel said:
I wish you all the luck coping with this and hope you beta cells start working again. Threaten them with superhots on a daily basis, that might work!!!
 Funny you should say that....I am eating more hot chile powders with meals and am going to start drinking broth with a bit of fatalii puree in it instead of coffee in the morning.  I used to drink puree broth when working on jobsites just to keep warm in the winter, but we haven't been that busy the last couple years.  Hot broth with a bit of chile puree should kick start the system in the morning.   

Logrus- I'm 49, healthy, non-smoker, not overweight, do not eat much processed/packaged foods, rarely eat greasy fried foods or fast foods.  I was in severe ketoacidosis when they admitted me into the hospital.  Apparently, that's not a good thing.  :lol:

Hope you can get better control of your situation.   

It's in the genes. So many folks spread through my family it's crazy. A person with diabetes can live an almost normal life. Just a few changes.
I hope to be able to torture the pancreas into producing beta cells again with peppers. :fireball:
But one thing a diabetic can't do after eating peppers is guzzle milk or eat ice cream. Too many carbs.

yep, just not fair. I love all kind of food.

I was diagnose 6 years ago (at 40 yo) after a cholesterol test... SURPRISE!!!
Non-smoker, healthy ... at 5'9" & 145 lbs. I didn't think I was a candidate.

It's currently under control with meds [A1C @ 6.1].  Had to make a complete change in food lifestyle.  Have to relearn what you can & can't eat.  Low carbs beer, more veggies, exercise, step away from the buffet... everything in moderation

I saw my endocrinologist yesterday. After yelling at me for half an hour about my numbers he told me to get the F Factor diet book and follow it religiously since it's working for him. I've just started reading it and the biggest part is increasing daily fiber to 35 gms or more per day, about 3 times the average of US diet. My guess is that I'll spend so much time pooping I won't be able to eat anything bad for me. ;)

or.... you'll spend so much time TRYING to do that....????.... there won't be time for eating bad stuff....???

Also, y'all remember that you can subtract that amount of fiber from your carb count. That's if it is 5 or over grams.

My wife is type 2 and just got back on meds after not controlling her blood sugar for a few years. Not good but we didn't have insurance.
Now she's on two medications for blood sugar and is trying to get her levels down.

Back