• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Diatomaceous earth application rates

Hey all, I recently found and applied some diatomaceous earth. I have a big ant issue and they are farming aphids. Anyway, I coated the plants and surrounding soil. Now, I can't seem to find any information about how often to apply it throughout the season. I was hoping one of you could tell me.

Chili Cheers,
Sethsquatch

I was thinking so too but have seen some applications done with 3 TBS per gallon of water so I wasn't sure. Thanks POTAWIE!

Dry DE to soft bodied critters like aphids and snails, is like using sandpaper to blow your nose. It is made of of micro critter skeletons that cut into soft bodied critters causing death. It needs to be re-applied after it gets wet. Take care not to breathe in the dust though.

Aphids suck.

I would think a few applications would make the surviving ants move.

Theoretical they will take their aphid farm with them to your neighbors house.

I think the others pretty much covered it already but diatomaceous earth is dead sea critters. When viewed under a microscope you'll find they come in all kinds of ninja star shapes. It kills by cutting through the protective layers of insects and they end up dying of dehydration. As you already know it's a super fine powder and can easily be washed away with the garden hose, rain, peeing dogs, etc., so in order for it to kill things it has to be present for bugs to come in contact with. The general rule is to apply it for sure after every rain, and if you're spreading around the ground or base of your plants you'd need to do it all over again after watering.

Ants hate lemons and oranges. If you spray lemon juice or blend some orange peels with some water in the blender and spray it around (or better yet pour it down the ant hill if you can locate it) they'll stay away. They don't like pepper either (hot pepper...like cayenne powder) Boric acid mixed with sugar or peanut butter will also kill them but it will also kill any other bug that eats it and probably isn't a good idea if you have pets or toddlers or anyone else who might end up eating a pile of peanut butter off the ground.

I don't know how many plants you're dealing with but I've had good luck blasting the aphids off with the garden hose daily until they're gone. Soapy water will suffocate them. Just use a little dish soap (not the antibacterial kind) in a spray bottle full of water and spray them.

DE certainly helped my indoor grow. I apply it with a small paint brush around container rims and lower stems-anywhere the bad guys can tread. And it will take out friendly bugs also, so keep that in mind.

For outdoors, I've not had any need except on my rose bushes. I 'paint' the rose buds with DE where the aphids congregate. It RUINS their day!

DE needs to be dry to work. Ants can't cross a small line of it without their doom. Apply accordingly. Big watch out--do not breathe it, the dust is so fine.

Will DE kill my lady bugs too? I was going to release a tub of 1500 this evening...and since ladies don't like to fly at night, they will come in contact with it...

Maybe hold off on the ladies for a few days until after I water again?

Yes, DE will kill ladybugs. Because it works by mechanical means (as described by others above) it is deadly to just about any small critter that comes in contact with it.

And don't breathe it, it can cause serious respiratory damage. Wear a dust mask. It will also majorly dry out your skin so wear gloves.

I'll release the ladies after I water on Wednesday.

Interestingly enough...although not surprizing...the lady sold me lady bugs, and DE...and never said a word. She probably didn't even know.

Don't touch the stuff! Or its Montezuma time!

As mentioned:
The particles are sharp, and make gashes on their bodies. The bugs dehydrate and die. The thing is, it only works when it is dry. When wet, it will wash into soil and is only good as a source of trace minerals.

Also food grade works as a de-wormer for house pets

us chicken breeders use DE all the time for mites... on their perch, you get some DE paste and paint it on... they say that it will still kill mites and bugs even if it got wet... it's still going to kill bugs after it dries... it's fossilized diatom skeletons... water is not going to make them melt or anything... maybe get washed away... anyways, i throw that stuff everythey... and when i'm hatching ducks, it gets wet and stuff, but i don't throw more in there... it still kills bugs deaded...

I'll release the ladies after I water on Wednesday.

Interestingly enough...although not surprizing...the lady sold me lady bugs, and DE...and never said a word. She probably didn't even know.

Given a choice, a ladybug won't be crawling around on the ground where the DE is. If it landed on some, it might survive if it flew away since it has a hard shell.

Back