• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Did I Cook My Seeds?

So here's my deal.... I am germinating some CGN seeds a member here donated to me and I did a warm peroxide/water soak for 10 minutes then used the water to swell up some Jiffy pellets, put the seeds in and put them in a small plastic container with a lid on loose. I put them in my grow tent with no lights on and a heating pad under the container and turned it to medium (has 3 settings lo-med-hi) they had been on the pad for 30hrs or so and i decided to check the temperature of the pellets. Iused a brawn digital ear thermometer thing we have and the temperature said 100.3 !!!! This was with the thermometer sensor touching the side of one of the pellets. I had no idea on Med the heating pad would get them so hot.... Do you think I cooked them?

While that temp high I would not trash anything for at least a few weeks. I assume you took the one measurement then pulled them off the heat mat? Could have been much cooler, and of coarse hotter, in other parts of the tray.

Rest easy. I posted this very thread about 12 days ago. I left the heating pad while at work without a temperature on/off switch set up. They sat at around 102 for over eighth hours.

HERE THEY ARE AS OF YESTERDAY.

AHG94WU.jpg

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
While that temp high I would not trash anything for at least a few weeks. I assume you took the one measurement then pulled them off the heat mat? Could have been much cooler, and of coarse hotter, in other parts of the tray.

Yes, pulled them...
Galveston340 said:
I have to ask was this a regular heating pad for human use....or one designed for plants or reptiles?
Human use heating pad...
Justosmo said:
Rest easy. I posted this very thread about 12 days ago. I left the heating pad while at work without a temperature on/off switch set up. They sat at around 102 for over eighth hours.

HERE THEY ARE AS OF YESTERDAY.

AHG94WU.jpg
I hope mine turn out, I didnt trash them, took them off the pad...Waiting to see what happens...

only126db said:

Yes, pulled them...

Human use heating pad...

I hope mine turn out, I didnt trash them, took them off the pad...Waiting to see what happens...
Don't abandon the pad. Just put a towel between the pad and tray so it stays cooler.

only126db said:

Yes, pulled them...

Human use heating pad...

They have all germinated it looks like and already have their second set of leaves. There isn't any need for a heating pad once they first pop up!!

Back