• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Did this cross?

I can't tell if this is a cross. The seed came from a bhut jolokia. It was next to some annuums and could have crossed with one of them. Does it look like a pure bhut? I know it might be a little too early to tell and the pictures aren't great. I'll post another picture when it gets bigger. The purple color is from the 6500k lights it was under and it does that to every type of pepper I have grown.

DSCN0206.jpg

DSCN0213.jpg

DSCN0210.jpg

I say its too early to make a call.
I dont know how some of you can tell the difference between annuums & chinense plants etc... when it comes to leaves.

chilehunter said:
I say its too early to make a call.
I dont know how some of you can tell the difference between annuums & chinense plants etc... when it comes to leaves.

It's not always this obvious, but here are 2 examples

annuum:

DSC02483.jpg

chinense:

7pot1.jpg

(the leave in the upper left is from a pubescens though!)

imaguitargod said:
Looks like you are going to have to wait for the fruit to tell if it's crossed.

what he said - and even then it might not be glaringly obvious.

not all crosses produce something so amazingly different that you get an entirely new variety - it's not necessarily like the halfway stage of morphing Eddie Murphy into the nutty professor.

Here is an update with some new pictures. I know it doesn't look super healthy. It has been in the cold. Do you think it is a pure bhut or a cross?

IMG_5347.jpg

IMG_5352.jpg

IMG_5350.jpg

IMG_5348.jpg

Saad looking plant.

Definitely looks like a chinense, but with crosses you never know. Some traits are dominant and some are recessive and anything might happen when you cross two plants - let alone two plants of different species! It's like mating a fox to a wolf - it "should" work and might do so, but it probaly won't. How many seeds did you have and how many germinated?

(BTW - how can anyone *not* spot a chinense seedling?)

I would say no way to tell until you see the fruit...

Looks like a Chinense to me, but you can never tell how pure it is. ever heard of recessive genes?

Its likely a Bhut, but there's always the possibily it was crossed. If its a chinense/annuum hybrid then the crossed pods should be quite obvious and plants should grow faster, stronger and/or more productive due to heterosis (or hybrid vigour)

Here is an update. I should be able to tell for sure soon. The pods on bhuts seem to vary so much even on the same plant that it might take a couple for me to tell.
DSCN0052.jpg

DSCN0056.jpg

DSCN0058.jpg

DSCN0062.jpg

Back