• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense DIfference between Red Savina & Red Carribean Habanero?

I'm wondering how to tell the difference. I found some pods at a asian grocery I'd never been to (down here in Tampa) simply titled 'habanero" @ $5 per lb. Looking at images online I cant tell the difference. I can tell you that later after cleaning out the seeds my pinky barely brushed the corner of my eye and I had to stop what I was doing for about 20 minutes, even tho I was pretty crafty using a razor and hardly touched the juices.

:onfire: Hotter than anything else I've burned myself with. :lol:

Dr.Peppar said:
I'm wondering how to tell the difference. I found some pods at a asian grocery I'd never been to (down here in Tampa) simply titled 'habanero" @ $5 per lb. Looking at images online I cant tell the difference. I can tell you that later after cleaning out the seeds my pinky barely brushed the corner of my eye and I had to stop what I was doing for about 20 minutes, even tho I was pretty crafty using a razor and hardly touched the juices.

:onfire: Hotter than anything else I've burned myself with. :lol:

Carribean reds have a very distint shape. They are almost diamond shaped with a thick wall. Post a pic. They might just be regular red habs too.

Well I already deseeded and mashed them for hot sauce, couldnt put it off any longer. I'd have to go back to that store and hope they still have them. They were very 'ruffled' looking. Dont recall a diamond shape to them. More boxy but with ruffled variation.

Dr.Peppar said:
Well I already deseeded and mashed them for hot sauce, couldnt put it off any longer. I'd have to go back to that store and hope they still have them. They were very 'ruffled' looking. Dont recall a diamond shape to them. More boxy but with ruffled variation.

Probably red habs.

There are lots of red C. chinenses labelled as red habs but very few are real habaneros. Habaneros should have a distinct shape and taste, and should originate from the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico. The Caribbean red is a good example and it isn't actual from the Caribbean but Mexico;)
We need pics!

scoville said:
Welcome to the forum Dr.,What store did you find those at?

An oddball asian grocery. Next time I drive that way I'll see if they still have a line on them for the pictures.

Back