• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

different bags for growing

So I'm leaning towards growing in bags this year, it just sounds all around more beneficial than pots.
I'm looking for opinions on all the different bags out there. I've looked at the root pouches, smart pots, plastic grow bags, fabric grocery bags...
Plastic is obviously the cheapest at like .10 a bag but I'd worry about durability. The root pouches and smart pots look awesome but if I could spend a little less I'd be happier as I have to buy about 100+ but is it really as easy as reusable grocery bags? I'd love for some bag users to chime in with opinions here, thanks in advance!

go to Walmart and buy there blue bags for .50 cents each. 

Attachments

• plants 2.jpg
    plants 2.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 45
SavinaRed said:

Hey, what is the medium in those bags? Is the stuff on top a mulch layer?

Also, I tried using a Kroger reusable bag (the black ones) a couple of years ago and it disintegrated in less than a season. Was in full Texas sun. It was impressive. Never tried the Walmart ones though!

hogleg said:
Thanks for the link, that was a great thread! My wife doesn't like the idea of 100 blue bags in our yard, but at .50 each, she can't complain too much. I'll just have to keep them nice and tidy to keep her at bay
SavinaRed said:
Can you give me an average footprint measurement on those? I Got some yard planning to do

Anyone ever used these big a$s Ikea bags? I found two in the house, might try them this year. I set a Wal-mart bag in one for comparison, and it's at least four-five times as big. Probably require poking some holes. It's a tarp like material.

dXrGOc5l.jpg

twilliams386 said:
Thanks for the link, that was a great thread! My wife doesn't like the idea of 100 blue bags in our yard, but at .50 each, she can't complain too much. I'll just have to keep them nice and tidy to keep her at bay

Can you give me an average footprint measurement on those? I Got some yard planning to do

The footprint of a full bag is about 14" x 10" (and ~15" tall for a total volume just over 6 gallons), but as the plants grow you'll need to move them further apart to give the branches access to light and room to grow.  Mine wound up about 3 feet apart by the end of summer (8 plants on a 4' x 8' table.)

Wally bags work well enough for one season, but if you move the plants frequently the material may start to wear and tear.  Also watch for the bottom rounding off, which can cause the plants to be blown over / off the table in a modest breeze.  (Never mind a proper Texas thunderstorm!)  

The bags breathe well, which allows evaporative cooling in the dead of summer - a good thing!  OTOH, you'll use lots of water, which can tend to flush the soil.  Keep an eye out for depleted nutes and don't be afraid to fertilize!  Make sure you 'rinse' the soil every month or so with an extra thorough watering so as to avoid salt buildup.  

Also, the pretty blue soon fades to a salty white and/or cow-poo brown depending on your soil mix and water hardness. ;)

Wally.jpg

Geonerd said:
The footprint of a full bag is about 14" x 10" (and ~15" tall for a total volume just over 6 gallons), but as the plants grow you'll need to move them further apart to give the branches access to light and room to grow.  Mine wound up about 3 feet apart by the end of summer (8 plants on a 4' x 8' table.)

Wally bags work well enough for one season, but if you move the plants frequently the material may start to wear and tear.  Also watch for the bottom rounding off, which can cause the plants to be blown over / off the table in a modest breeze.  (Never mind a proper Texas thunderstorm!)  

The bags breathe well, which allows evaporative cooling in the dead of summer - a good thing!  OTOH, you'll use lots of water, which can tend to flush the soil.  Keep an eye out for depleted nutes and don't be afraid to fertilize!  Make sure you 'rinse' the soil every month or so with an extra thorough watering so as to avoid salt buildup.  

Also, the pretty blue soon fades to a salty white and/or cow-poo brown depending on your soil mix and water hardness. ;)

Wally.jpg
Great info, Thanks geonerd!!

Regarding the yard planning and the Wifey...

Lay out the bags side by side for now.  Then, as the plants get bigger, profess surprise that "I can't believe they're doing so well!" as you move them further and further apart, slowly taking over the entire yard! 

Geonerd said:
Regarding the yard planning and the Wifey...

Lay out the bags side by side for now.  Then, as the plants get bigger, profess surprise that "I can't believe they're doing so well!" as you move them further and further apart, slowly taking over the entire yard!
Hahaha yeah I wish she was that gullible. As of right now, I'm planning for a 15'x25' area for them. I walked it out with her and she was skeptical at first, but realized there's still about 2/3 of yard left for us and the dog.
I'm planning for 100 plants, but hoping to sell all my duplicates at the farmers market, community garden, local nursery etc..

Back