• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Different Carolina Reaper

Greetings. I'm growing hot peppers in south Louisiana. Everything is going well. I bought a pack of Carolina Reaper seeds a few months ago on E-bay. Most of the seeds germinated and grew normally. But I had one exception. I considered contacting the original seller to get some info, but he is no longer registered on E-bay. One of the ten or twelve plants that I grew from the seeds grew faster and larger than the others. I suspected it wasn't a Carolina Reaper, it did look like a pepper plant. I don't mind having a stray seed, I like a good mystery. It looks like a Carolina Reaper except it has smooth skin.

Can anybody tell me more info, like what type of pepper it is or if a Carolina Reaper can have smooth skin. All the other Carolina Reapers have a more usual wrinkled skin.  

carolinacuriosa.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply. I googled bishops crown and it seems to fit. I'm looking forward to tasting the pepper once it ripens. Might add it to my hot sauce to get some flavor with all that heat. I've been told... and it seems accurate in my limited experience, that the hotter the pepper the slower it grows. Do you guys agree with that? That would explain why this milder pepper grew so much faster than the carolina Reapers. 

I thought I'd add a pic of my Carolina Reaper. It's a tad blurry. I'll try to do better next time. I also have Moruga Trinidad Scorpions and Bhut Jolkia Ghost Chiles.

carolinareaper.jpg

Nice looking pods! 

I can tell you that I hear a lot of bad things from Ebay and Amazon seeds.  I think if I am going to put forth the effort in growing a plant I want to make sure whomever I buy the seed from is reputable and knows what they got. 

My first year with a garden and I couldn't imagine not getting what I want at the end of the season.   Good luck brother.

I agree about reputable sellers. This is my second year growing peppers and my first attempt at Carolina Reapers. After I bought all the seeds I wanted, I stumbled across Ed Currie's web page. While I do harvest my own seeds, I will get a few from the original source next spring. And nothing against the ebay seller. I bought a few seeds from him for a fair price, most germinated, and grew to appear to be Carolina Reapers. I'm still waiting for all of them to ripen. But given the choice, I'd rather obtain the seeds from the original source.

would be pretty sweet to see a baccatum/reaper cross though, I must say.  If it is a bishop's crown  it will have yellow/white flowers.

seems like you lucked out on getting OP plants off of sleezbay.  I've seen stories of people ordering scorpions and end up growing bell peppers.  By the time you know any different it's too late for a paypal claim XD

Even though it's not a Reaper, nice score on the Bishop's Crown!  Definitely what it is, IMO.  Also called Orchid or Monk's Cap. Baccatums are so cool.

There are far worse peppers to have gotten seeds from on ebay :D

I had to google Baccatum. I read a bit on wikipedia. I'm not sure how we learned anything before the internet. When my baccatum ripens I'm going to try it in the Peruvian mix of red onion and cilantro. I'd say I'd serve it as a relish for other foods but as it sounds mild,  I'm probably going to just eat it with a spoon. I only have one bishops crown plant, all the other seeds in the mix are carolina reapers as expected.

I appreciate the help with ID'ing my stray.

And I'd like to share my favorite photo from today. It is a bhut jolokia ghost chile. Sort of Christmas-ie. Half red and half green.

ghostchile.jpg

Back