• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Different growth rates.

I am only growing 3 varieties. Pretty sad compared to some of the enciclopedic lists I've seen here :mouthonfire:

Anyhoo, I have Naga Morich, Caribbean Red Habs, and Thai Dragons.

All moving fairly well, but when the heat hit here in southeast PA
the NAga's and the Thai's took off like bats out of hell and have
tripled in size in 3 weeks.

The caribbean reds are very healthy, but seem to be growing a LOT more slowly.

Is this common? Meaning, are the caribbean red habs known to be a slower growing variety than the other two?

Cheers!

Omri said:
Caribbean Reds are slow growers, don't worry.

Mine is the slowest plant I have, I've got plenty of dime size or bigger Habs on my other plants, but the Caribbean is just starting to pod, and I mean they are tiny.

Most say 110 days on CR's.

I planted about 30 different varieties this year and the difference in size between some of them is vast! My White Habs and Scotch Bonnets for example are growing at a snail pace whereas other varieties I planted at the same time such as Sizzler & Naga Jolokia are growing so much faster. My best performers of the year so far have been a packet of mixed seeds from Fothergil! They are huge now and it has been interesting seeing what has popped up although it would be nice to identify the contents of the packet

I have Naga Morich and Caribbean reds growing this year along with several other habanero types and the Naga plants are around 16" tall compared to the Carbbean Red and Red Savinas that are around 10" to 11" tall. Actually most of the other Habaneros are 10 to 14" tall. The only other chinense variety I have that is quite tall right now compared to the others is The Hot Paper Lanterns at 16 t0 18" high.

I grew Thai Dragons last year and they were also a fairly tall quick growing plant.

Back