• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Different shaped peppers from the same plant.

I have been growing Long Italian Hot Peppers from seed every year since 2005. Some years a few plants will produce unusual shaped peppers. But, this year I have different shaped peppers all on the same plant. Can anybody explain this.

All of peppers in this photo came off of the same Long Italian Hot Pepper plant.C:\Users\Karen\Pictures\2011-08-15 birds & peppers\all these peppers came from the same plant.JPG

I can't see your pic, however I have the same issue. The 5 peppers on the right of the cayenne are off of the same plant. I have no idea what causes this.
IMG_1558-1.jpg

what other pepper plants are you growing? If you are growing from seeds collected the year before you might have some type of cross growing.

what other pepper plants are you growing? If you are growing from seeds collected the year before you might have some type of cross growing.
@ spongey600 - Yes thank you, I was thinking that might be what happened. But, I still thought all the peppers growing on 1-plant would look the same. I have 3 or 4 different shape & size peppers all growing on the same plant.

I have been growing Long Italian Hot Peppers from seed every year since 2005. Some years a few plants will produce unusual shaped peppers. But, this year I have different shaped peppers all on the same plant. Can anybody explain this.

All of peppers in this photo came off of the same Long Italian Hot Pepper plant.C:\Users\Karen\Pictures\2011-08-15 birds & peppers\all these peppers came from the same plant.JPG
I hope this photo shows up
http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/j424/KarenGiobbeCarpenter/Garden%20Photos/?action=view&current=allthesepepperscamefromthesameplant-cropped.jpg

Just a shot in the dark.

Maybe those 5 peppers on the right come from two different plants?

This year i was picking green pods off of a pepperonicini for pickling/salad peppers. And i was also picking green pods from an adjacent aji yellow hybrid accidentally in the proccess. It seems a low branch from the other pepper type grew behind the pepperoncini and came out and up the far side of the targeted harvest plant. I was baffled at first upon closer inspection of the harvested pods. But figured out the confusion when i traced the branch back through the tangled pepper branch mess.

Jim

allthesepepperscamefromthesameplant-cropped.jpg

This happens with a lot of pepper plants. It's genetics. I have no idea what the "original" peppers were but every one after those are crosses. I think it would be easier to produce different looking pods on the same plant than it would to produce pods that look exactly the same. If they all taste the same that's what really matters.

Let nature run its course! I received some orange habanero seeds only to find out that they were a cross. However the plants yielded ripe peppers within two weeks and I have filled my whole freezer with peppers from just two months of growing. They also are resistant to hot temperatures(growing in Florida) and really like the intense rain storms we get here. I saved the seeds as well as kept seeds from the first planting, but growing crosses is always fun. You never know what you'll get.

Just a shot in the dark.

Maybe those 5 peppers on the right come from two different plants?

This year i was picking green pods off of a pepperonicini for pickling/salad peppers. And i was also picking green pods from an adjacent aji yellow hybrid accidentally in the proccess. It seems a low branch from the other pepper type grew behind the pepperoncini and came out and up the far side of the targeted harvest plant. I was baffled at first upon closer inspection of the harvested pods. But figured out the confusion when i traced the branch back through the tangled pepper branch mess.

Jim

Thank you Jim, I had thought of that but it was not the case. These definitely all came off the same plant. My husband use to get these (Italian long hot pepper plants) every year from a guy he worked with. The only place I have been able to find these plants are over 2 hours away. A little more then 4 years ago, when my husband became disabled, I started saving seeds from these peppers and growing them myself. Every year some of the peppers change in appearance a little but all the peppers on each plant always looked the same, until this year. Well, they all taste deliciously the same, so that’s good. Karen

This happens with a lot of pepper plants. It's genetics. I have no idea what the "original" peppers were but every one after those are crosses. I think it would be easier to produce different looking pods on the same plant than it would to produce pods that look exactly the same. If they all taste the same that's what really matters.

Thank you very much for this information Patrick. And yes, taste is the main issue and these taste great. Thanks again, Karen

Let nature run its course! I received some orange habanero seeds only to find out that they were a cross. However the plants yielded ripe peppers within two weeks and I have filled my whole freezer with peppers from just two months of growing. They also are resistant to hot temperatures(growing in Florida) and really like the intense rain storms we get here. I saved the seeds as well as kept seeds from the first planting, but growing crosses is always fun. You never know what you'll get.
Thank you for you reply Aaron. I have had a few habanero plants produce 1 or 2 fire red pods whereas all of the other pod were orange, so of course I saved the seeds, only to be disappointed the following year when the plants only produced orange pods instead of being covered in fire red pods. But isn’t it just natural to save the seeds from unusual peppers, just to see what you get from them? Have a nice day, Karen

Back