• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Digital Camera's

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
I currently use an Olympus C-50, 3X optical zoom, 4X digital zoom. It is a 5.0 megapizel camera. The wife has given me the OK to go and get a better camera. I have looked at several models and think I like this one the best. Does anyone have any experience with this camera?

Canon - PowerShot 12.1MP Digital Camera - Black
Model: G9

I looked at the Cannon powershot 12.1 you mentioned up on the internet and it's a nice looking camera with quite a few features. The main question is "why so many megapixels?" If you want to enlarge your pictures up to poster size, you would need more pixels.

The average screen resolution on computers is 1024 x 768. That's a pretty good sized picture! The average picture size for e-mailing is 800x600. The larger the picture is in pixels, the larger the file. The larger the file, the longer it takes to send and takes up more space. Most web sites limit picture size for that reason.

I'm not in any way trying to talk you out of the Canon G-9. It appears to be a nice camera.

For me, simplicity for easy quick fast shots is the norm and a must and also features that allow you to set your own controls for pics when you have the time to "play" with them. I guess I'm trying to say, more features in what a camera can do is more important than pixel power. That's just my personal opinion of course and I'm in no way a professional photographer !!! Good luck with whatever camera you decide on!

Butch

AKButch said:
The main question is "why so many megapixels?" If you want to enlarge your pictures up to poster size, you would need more pixels.

Good luck with whatever camera you decide on!

Butch

I like posters...especially of peppers I have grown....:lol:

The little camera I have now is OK but just not acceptable for really close up shots. I want to take shots of the flowers on each plant this year to start building my library of plants/flowers/peppers for each variety I am growing.

I may be wrong but I thought megapixels is not the most important thing when it comes to being able to take really close up shots of something like a insect. I thought the zoom was more important than megapixels, not saying megapixels wasnt important just that zoom is more important. maybe I'm wrong ?

like AK said most times you cant tell the difference between 5mp or 10mp (our news station did a test on digital cameras) unless you plan on enlarging then to a very large size I'd think 7mp-8mp is fine for everyday use.

chilehunter said:
I may be wrong but I thought megapixels is not the most important thing when it comes to being able to take really close up shots of something like a insect. I thought the zoom was more important than megapixels, not saying megapixels wasnt important just that zoom is more important. maybe I'm wrong ?

like AK said most times you cant tell the difference between 5mp or 10mp (our news station did a test on digital cameras) unless you plan on enlarging then to a very large size I'd think 7mp-8mp is fine for everyday use.

This is what I think I know about megapixels. If you are going to use the pics for just passing around and they don't have to be high quality, then a lower number of megapixels is ok. Its like when using 35 MM film speeds. The faster the film, the more grainy the photo when it is enlarged. That is what I equate megapixels to....film speed except the more megapixels equates to a lower film speed.....

I haven't used that particular camera, but every Canon Powershot I've used has been a joy. And everyone I know who has one from that line loves it. Of the PhD's at work, the Canon Rebel series seems to be the preferred camera for photographing their work for publication.

Mine is an A70, and it still does everything I need it to do, but I still find myself standing at the counter, looking lustfully at the newer models. They are *so* cool. I think you'll really enjoy it.

In my experience, the digital zoom is a crap feature. Optical zoom is what you want to look at. The digital zoom will pixelate the hell out of your image.

Oh...12.1 megapixels? What are you printing out, a billboard? :shocked::lol:

Macro is the feature needed to take really, really, really close up pics. If the lens has the macro feature, you can get right up there close and personal.

I have a Cannon AE-1 35mm with a macro zoom lens and can take pics of snow flakes and you can see the different patterns in the flakes. Macro is in the lens, not the camera.

DevilDuck said:
In my experience, the digital zoom is a crap feature. Optical zoom is what you want to look at. The digital zoom will pixelate the hell out of your image.

Oh...12.1 megapixels? What are you printing out, a billboard? :shocked::lol:

the lenses are interchangeable so I am not worried about zoom.

what can I say, I like the digital zoom with a lot of megapixels...and remember, this is my opinion...the more pixels in a small area, the better definition of the image displayed...kinda like high def tv...only better..

As AJ says... the more pixels, the higher the resolution. Has nothing to do with the size of the print. You will still be printing regular size photographs, and all those pixels will be used.

thehotpepper.com said:
As AJ says... the more pixels, the higher the resolution. Has nothing to do with the size of the print. You will still be printing regular size photographs, and all those pixels will be used.

Took the plunge yesterday and ordered the camera...hey, it came with a tripod, cleaning kit and someother give away crap...got an email from the place I ordered from and asked me if I wanted a memory card to go with the camera...I said, what, no memory card...he said thats right, the camera has 128 meg built in memory that will take about 4 pictures at the highest quality, so I said give me a 1 gig card...not bad....then he said the battery would only last for about 2 hours...wanted to sell me another battery...I said no and he said he would throw in another battery for free...then he asked about the warranty, I said yes...not bad...

I am not complaining but the literature did not list all the add ons you would need....

Can't wait to get it...should be here by Friday...

Pam said:
Does it take some sort of weird battery? Cause go for rechargeables otherwise.

both the batteries I have coming are rechargeable but they say it takes 12 hours to charge one....so I got two...

Now I have to go find a macro lens for my close ups...

If you want "pro-quality" prints that approximate actual film...the more pixels the better. Besides, if you are shooting things that will be small or you just want to email them, you don't have to use the maximum pixel count. More pixels just give you more options.

I bought my wife a Cannon SD-200 Powershot "digital elph" a few years ago and it's a great little camera. All the pix I post here are shot with it.

She now wnats to upgrade to the digital SLR Nikon D-80. Maybe she'll let me have the Cannon....

New Camera came Today

I just snapped a few shots...I think I'm gonna like it..

All I have is a Kodak easyshare...I want to man up to a new one but think ill pay off the wifes old car I rolled first lol (1 month before I rolled it I took second way off of it)ive never had second way on any car ive owned till now lol..now I know why ya need it

This is going to be great for my library I am building on peppers.

Pictures I was going to take and keep in a word file will be Immature plant, mature plant with flowers, flower close up, immature fruit, ripe fruit...then a short write up about how good/bad it grew in West Fort Worth.

Just thought, I need to rig up a back light for the photos to shoo the shadows away.

AJ,

Do not, I repeat, do not, use Word to show images. It is not designed to do this. Normally, a camera comes with some software that allows you to create an album and even add captions, sort how you want, etc. If you can't find a program, check out http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/ The software is older, but perfectly useable and free. Also, the lovely Natasha will send you incredible offers to upgrade to a more recent version for less than $10.

IME, using digital zoom is okay, but only for the center of the image. The rest of it will be blurred.

Mike

AJ:

Chech out Picasa 2. It's a FREE Google program for editing, storing, indexing all your photos. It is really pretty cool and I think you will like it.

Here's the link for the free download . . . http://www.picasa2.com/

Let me know what you think! . . . Butch

Back