• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dirt Farmers wisdom

I have grown my plants in pots every year for the most part but this year Im going to plant all 70 some in dirt and was just curious if any of you dirt farmers have any pearls of wisdom ?

It helps your soil retain moisture in dry weather and helps prevent soil from splashing up on your plants in wet weather. Just for starters… There are many more reasons, though.

Spankyscolts said:
No it's soil that's had a garden of some sort planted in it every year I also dump my pots in it every year and work it in

May I ask why ?
My words of wisdom:
Be grateful you don't have clay. ;)

Composted horse manure is great stuff if you can get ahold of any...no stink and it's very fibrous--works in very well and makes...well...clay....very loamy.  I'm sure it would work just as well for any other soil types.
dash 2 said:
     It helps your soil retain moisture in dry weather and helps prevent soil from splashing up on your plants in wet weather. Just for starters… There are many more reasons, though.
and can work as a mulch too

Oh you asked why:

Clay has almost no drainage, it becomes hard as a rock when it dries, especially in 100º heat, it has little nutrient value other than iron, and it cracks open very easily when dried, can create root damage and/or expose roots to pests.  The lower Appalachians are notorious for it.

The red clay that covers the foothills and piedmont of the Appalachian mountains is great for growing peppers assuming you work it well with some soft organic material, I.e. Compost, composted manure, peat moss, etc. of course if it's moss you'll need some lime or something to lower the acidity

It's a bit late to amend the soil, but something is better than nothing. I like a hefty dose of an "organic" fertilizer. Something in the neighborhood of 4-3-2. The organic brands tend to be slow release by virtue of the ingredients used and have other stuff to promote a healthy living soil. The low values and slow release qualities make it difficult to mess up and burn your plants. Working in some composted manure will give you another bump to the Nitrogen if you feel the soil needs it.

If you are transplanting into the soil, try putting a spadeful of worm castings in the bottom of the hole. Nothing is better for baby plants than worm poop.

Mulch with quality hardwood mulch. Make sure it isn't one of the decorative mulches with who knows what kinds of dies, insecticides and other weird stuff in it. Wood mulch breaks down slowly and improves soil quality as it goes. Bark mulch breaks down much more quickly, and doesn't seem to leave behind the kind of nicely textured black soil material that wood mulch does. 

I throw my morning coffee grounds and the occasional banana peel straight into the garden. I grew up country so when I see a rotting banana peel I see fertilizer, more civilized folk might not appreciate looking at "trash".

Depending on the composition, dirt can retain moisture for a lot longer than any pot you have grown in. When the weather is mild, you may not have to water for a week. Push away the mulch and stick your finger in the dirt to test the moisture and always watch your plants, they will tell you when they are thirsty. 

Earth Worm Castings and Kelp Meal/Seaweed are good ways to spice up your soil without doing a lot of composting before hand. Top dress dry or make a tea and water/foliar feed it right in.

Mulch is always your friend. I like to use untreated feed hay in square bales. It's easy to put down and tills right in at the end of the season. 

Mycorrhizae and Molasses.

DLL

Technically the red clay of the Carolinas, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and Louisiana are chock full of every nutrient you need to grow. You just need to help with drainage and aeration.

Spankyscolts said:
I have grown my plants in pots every year for the most part but this year Im going to plant all 70 some in dirt and was just curious if any of you dirt farmers have any pearls of wisdom ?

Just making sure, I'd like to clarify the difference between dirt and soil. Soil is what you put in your pots, it's the ground soil/topsoil. Soil is the organic matter, decaying matter, organisms, air, water, nutrients that accumulates. Dirt is the dry dusty stuff you find on your shoes, that no longer  contains nutrients and organic matter to effectively support plant life. I had a horticulture teacher that drilled it into me.

I also agree with using earthworm castings. Very effective organic fertilizer.

I also like using mulch. Helps keep soils moist, prevents weeds, and the red mulch can reflect sunlight, and black can increase ground heat.

millworkman said:
Technically the red clay of the Carolinas, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and Louisiana are chock full of every nutrient you need to grow. You just need to help with drainage and aeration.
It holds easily on to mineral content, true.  If there's no organic matter in it though--it needs nitrogen.  Won't get very far without that pesky nutrient. ;).  There are spots around here that won't even grow grass.

ikeepfish said:
It holds easily on to mineral content, true.  If there's no organic matter in it though--it needs nitrogen.  Won't get very far without that pesky nutrient. ;).  There are spots around here that won't even grow grass.
yup, but add anything that helps and you have a great medium. It's funny like that.

Back