• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Disaster

This is my first time starting peppers indoors. I've got them on a heating pad, I've got fluorescent of what i think is the right spectrum. They were doing great. It was getting a little cold in the basement, so I figured I'd put a little heater on them. Apparently my definition of warm and their definition of warm are to different things.

Here are the peppers closet to the heater. The nails are there to hold up the survivors.
deadpeppers.jpg

Here are the peppers on the side farthest from the heater.
peppersalive.jpg

Ouch, that hurts! First time starting indoors, well it is trial and error and you learn along the way that's for sure. Keep your chin up and save the few that you can.

Yeah they are slightly wilted arn't they? My Cayennes seemed to hate it too warmth last year and looked very unhappy :( But like Pepper Ridge said it's all trial and error, I'm only starting on my second year but the first year taught me so much.

* So very sorry but I laughed when I saw the nails holding them up :oops:

I feel your pain. As this is my first year trying to grow inside, I'm not going to get fancy with the heat. My room is 70-71 F. which should be fine for germinating seeds.
If I try to get fancy, I'll have to stock up on nails.

We'll learn, as RainbowBerry said.

I lost about ten jalapeƱos and lemon drops. The next row over are the nagas, and only six out of ten germinated, so that would have hurt if i killed them. I still have more plant I am going to know what to do with. It happens, I just figured I'd share my stupidity with you guys.

I wouldn't call it stupidity, just a way of learning. I've killed a few seedlings in the last week by trying to get their seed cases off, knowing at the time they'd be left headless, I couldn't resist picking them off.

Aren't you supposed to wait until you have ripe pods to stress them? :P

J/K - I've lost several plants from not understanding they are not like tomatoes. Not enough water, too much water, not enough light, too much sunshine. Thinking little red dots were from sanding boards and not spider mites. Thankfully, most of the seeds I have bought have at least 20 per package!

They do look as though they might come back with a little water and TLC.

Mike

rainbowberry said:
I wouldn't call it stupidity, just a way of learning. I've killed a few seedlings in the last week by trying to get their seed cases off, knowing at the time they'd be left headless, I couldn't resist picking them off.

I killed two like that just recently. I thought that It would die if I felt the seed case on. I guess its better to just leave it?

They won't die if you leave their hats on, well mine never have. I've noticed they don't grow as fast as the seedlings without them but you'd expect that. I usually leave well alone but there's sometimes that urge to remove it.

This is good to know!....I would have probably made the same mistake somewhere down the road...thanks for sharing. Hopefully you can save a few of the not too wilted ones.

Back