• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Distilled water?

A friend of mine gave me a Red Dragon Venus Flytrap and said to only used distilled water for it. At that point I asked about my Scorpions and Nagas and he said he wasnt sure about those. So is it better to use distilled water for peppers also?

As I've heard distilled water has many minerals removed during the process, I'm not sure what kind or how many so I would think it would be worse then better for peppers. I've always used my city water on my plants and have never ran into any trouble.

Silver_Surfer said:
Distilled water should be PH neutral so it shouldn't hurt, but I'd rather use rain water if I had a choice.

What about filtered drinking water,like arrowhead.Or is that the same as distilled??

Filtered and distilled aren't the same, but if you are raising quite a few plants these bottled waters you're asking about could get expensive. :)

I use rain water and well water. If you're unsure of your water have it tested.

Well I live on the third floor of an apartment building and cant really get rain water all that much. Im only growing about 12 plants so it wouldnt be that bad on me if its better than than tap.

Tap water varies from one place to another. Let it sit several hours to allow the chlorine to evaporate, test the PH, adjust PH if necessary and it should be fine.

You could probably even use a Pur/Brita filter pitcher. Removes chlorine and heavy metals and you could use for drinking water for yourself as well.

Distilled water is dead water and does very little for your plants. You're starting with nothing so you'll have to supply a lot of what the plant needs, much of which was taken out by distilling. In my opinion this is only needed if you have specific water problems or fussy exotic plants but you should have your source water tested so you know what is and what isn't in it.

Shouldn't your water department be able to provide up to date test results upon request? If you are on city water that is.

I've never bothered checking my water here in the 4 years I've grown, and never had problems with my tap. Save yourself the hassle and fuss and just try it IMO.

how could distilled water be worse than tap water??? 'minerals' means anything in the water like copper, lead, calcium, clorine etc.

distilled water is ph neutral, doesn't have anything in it, and is just pure plain water. you can get it for $1/2.5 gal and if you have bad tap water ( like me ) then it's the best thing ever. i use it for a lot of different things.

i get arrowhead DISTILLED water, they also have mineral water... much different :)

so how do plants who rely on rain get nutrients ???
not from the water from the soil, if you aren't using hydroponic methods of growing then your nutrients are supposed to be in the soil...

the water dept tests are about usless , get a 5 gal bucket, fill with water add 1 fish air pump 6-7 Dollars at walmart. let pump do its stuff over night = no chlorine i water with chlorine free till it's time to put into ground. the bigger the bubbles the better.

I use hard well water (and rainwater) before it goes through my water softener so I still have all the micronutrients and minerals that my plants seem to love. Tap water can be different eveywhere and its not always as easy as letting it sit to remove chlorine since chemicals other than chlorine are the norm these days and not all evaporate. I've also seen tests where rainwater in large cities can be terribly acidic especially when rain showers are short in length and smog/pollution is high

Back