• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water DIY drip irrigation

I have previously posted the build pictures of this system so I thought that I would start a grow log devoted to it. There are 2 plants left to go in but they aren't ready yet.

1. Trinidad Scorpion Yellow CARDI
2. Pimenta De Neyde
3. Pimenta Morango
4. Infinity
5. 7 Pot Brain Strain
6. Trinidad Scorpion CARDI
7. Reserved for Fatalii
8. Reserved for Dorset Naga
P260410_17122.jpg

Ph 6
Ec 1.4
3 irrigations per day

Chris
Chris

Chris,

In your opinion, how does DI compare to DWC? How much vertical room does it take from the floor to the bottom of the growing plant? Is it a fail-safe method, that is as long as the pump doesn't die and I don't notice it for a day? I am dead serious about possibly doing "gardening" as my day job in 2011 but there is so much to learn. I won't find it out any younger!

Mike

Hi mike. I think DI has to be one of the most risky methods against mechanical failures. The plants are in a 3" rockwool cube which needs to remain at least damp all the time. The pump however is a reliable model and is brand new - crossing fingers that it holds out.

I have never grown in DWC. Whilst it gives excellent results, the plants are always in the solution and you have to be extra precise with nutrient concentration and ph.

DI is also not the best system where height is an issue. A similar mass produced system that mine is based on is not as tall but makes maintanence a pain in the ass. This is because the tray sits on top of the reservoir.

My bench is just over a foot high and the 90 litre reservoir is shallow and just slips underneith. The height of the buckets is around a foot also so total hight is around 2'. This gives me just over 2' of growth space above the buckets where the eaves are and just over 4' in the centre to the ridge.

Chris

Chris,

Ouch! I have at most six feet from the floor to the ceiling, so losing 2' of that will make growing even determinates such as Celebrity or Legend difficult and Red Stuffer impossible, unless I want to top them.

I am trying a small-power white LED that hangs less than an inch from the heart of the plant. The red/blue/orange LED is doing great but if I can get tighter nodes for 2.8 watts per plant, it will be worth it. That might make it easier to grow the Stuffers (I am developing quite a market for them based just on a description. And being unique, I should get a premium price from them.)

Mike

Never is your answer. I use rain water which comes out at ph 5.5 - 5.8. After nutrients it sits at ph 6. This is why its important to wash and soak your clay as it will push up your ph.

Another point to make is rain water is sub 0.1 ec

Chris

Not much growth but I presume they are settling in. Reduced irrigation to one per day as the rockwool isn't drying out much and I am probably slowing root growth. Had to remove leaves from both the scorpions due to some fungal issues but given them a copper spray and they seem good now. No probs anymore :)

About 10 days ago
P260410_17122.jpg

Today
P060510_183202.jpg

Back