• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

DIY dripline hole punch, what can I use?

Anyone put 1/4" holes in poly tubing with something besides the intended tool? I didn't realize I needed one and I can't budget a punch or punch gun till next month.

I have a drill and nails, but I'd like to see if you guys have any ideas first :)

Thanks

Edit: trying to put 1/4" barbed couplers in.

Having a hard time affording food atm, college student + ssi fixed income = prefers free if somewhat inefficient solutions till I can afford the tool next month.

I can hand water, but the system was a present, and both of us didn't know a hole punch was necessary. It happens.
But thanks for the link. I'll check out Lowe's if I can scrape some quarters together :)

i woudnt try to use anything else.   you will likely damage the tube and will never have a tight seal for your emitors,plugs,ect.

these punches are plastic and sharp for a reason they dont rip as a nail or some kind of metal will rip/split your plastic. you may not be able to tell but the water leaking out will be able to.

i almost never know where my poly pipe tools are when i need them. i use either a screw, or a .09" shank nail from my coil siding gun. mostly the latter.
hurts my hands tho. this is on the ultra thin, low pressure poly pipe tho... not the riser pipe stuff people use for lawn sprinkler systems, thats far thicker, and a pita to get to lay flat.

So Sicman, you would recommend the plastic punches? I thought the metal ones would work better, I hear some of them try to "cut" their way in

i use the one that i linked.    $3.00 and it comes with few free plugs no brainer to me.  if i had to do a couple miles of drip line every day for a living i would use a better one.   :P

you have to use a little more effort with just the spike instead of a click punch but we are talking about a very easy no strength job. it takes about as much effort as farting. :rofl:

get the one i linked and you will be a proffesional drip line puncher. ;)

I just use a drill bit.  It's not hard to drill.  Mark it off first, be careful not to go through both sides.  I mean, literally, it's so easy...  And if you can't afford to spend a $1 for a 1/32" drill bit, I'm sure you can borrow one...

Back