• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

DIY Hydro Growbox Ghost Pepper Update (July 12)

I think you said you were using Masterblend in the how-to video. Did you leave the calcium nitrate out towards fruiting time? Run a higher EC on your nutes during fruiting?

nice, i do something very similar that i learned from funky chicken farms / john kohler's GYG. Instead of the solo cups I use slotted drainage pipe. I ordered 1 long pipe from home depot and they gave me 10 of them lol

Student of Spice said:
:clap:

impressive two months growth, how old was the plant you started?
Im not sure how old it was, but you can see the size of it at the 6:32 mark in the video.  Maybe around 2 months old, but not given good light or nutrients until transplanted.

Heckle said:
I think you said you were using Masterblend in the how-to video. Did you leave the calcium nitrate out towards fruiting time? Run a higher EC on your nutes during fruiting?
No, I just keep giving it the same ratio every time...

pepper_rancher said:

5 Gallons water
12G Masterblend 4-18-38
12G Calcium Nitrate
6G Magnesium Sulfate

I use this for veg. For flowering I'm trying just the Masterblend at an ounce per 5 gal. The directions that came on the bag say to use 1 oz/3 gallons.

Heckle said:

I use this for veg. For flowering I'm trying just the Masterblend at an ounce per 5 gal. The directions that came on the bag say to use 1 oz/3 gallons.

Let me know how it turns out.  Are you going to use the masterblend and magensium sulfate or just the masterblend?
I know that it is "understood" hydro practice to switch nutrients for vegetative and fruiting phases, but honestly I wonder how much of that is just marketing... considering the production I have gotten in the last 2 years from just keeping the same nutes during all phases.

pepper_rancher said:

Let me know how it turns out.  Are you going to use the masterblend and magensium sulfate or just the masterblend?
I know that it is "understood" hydro practice to switch nutrients for vegetative and fruiting phases, but honestly I wonder how much of that is just marketing... considering the production I have gotten in the last 2 years from just keeping the same nutes during all phases.

I'm doing both with and without the magnesium sulfate.

pepper_rancher said:

Think it depends on the plants you are growing - some definitely go through the various stages and will probably be well served by the nutes being changed depending on the phase - but pepper plants pretty much have all phases going on at the same time so it probably does not make much difference for them !

JDFan said:

Think it depends on the plants you are growing - some definitely go through the various stages and will probably be well served by the nutes being changed depending on the phase - but pepper plants pretty much have all phases going on at the same time so it probably does not make much difference for them !

Good point.

Oh I forgot to ask everybody... what is that tail on the pepper at the 4:35 mark in the video... could that pass on in the seeds or is just a freak of nature?

nice harvest, nice music, and epic meow!

:violin:
CSB

that second video....i remember watching it last year, which inspired me to try outdoor hydro, though, i didn't know it was a wicking giant hempy bucket!

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
nice harvest, nice music, and epic meow!

:violin:
CSB

that second video....i remember watching it last year, which inspired me to try outdoor hydro, though, i didn't know it was a wicking giant hempy bucket!
Thank you!  Epic compliment  :)
Although I dont know what CSB, or hempy buckets are!  lol

edit:  oh, CSB are your initials... lol, duh.

stoney's_ghost said:
Pepperrancher.

I'm trying to upload a YouTube video on my phone. It keeps saying 0% upload progress.
What am i doing wrong?
Im not sure...  are you able to watch other youtube videos ok on your phone?  Ive only tried from my computer.

Jamison said:
Well,  I just made one and got it up and running.  We'll see how it does!  Thanks for linking the DIY vid!

Hey post some pics and keep us updated :)

Back