• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

DIY LED Basics

Some tec pics

General

23cde749861b5aa51b6735491edd4e73.jpg

Boost converter

649cf4ca4641c8a72003d72fa9516409.jpg

Main power supply modified (bigger fan)

be5f6ba3e6ee33fea31a5fbf7469aa3d.jpg

grispa72 said:
Some tec pics
General
23cde749861b5aa51b6735491edd4e73.jpg

Boost converter
649cf4ca4641c8a72003d72fa9516409.jpg

Main power supply modified (bigger fan)
be5f6ba3e6ee33fea31a5fbf7469aa3d.jpg
Thank's for the tech pic's. As soon as my parts arrive I'll update with pic's. I'll do a pictorial of the COB build.

I'm also want to convert my Aerogarden Ultra and Aerogarden 7 to led stars. The fluorescent's are expensive and not efficient. I like smokemaster's info on his 1watt led star build. I would like to use that tech for the Aerogarden build's. Once my Cob build's are done I'll pass the AG's to my 9 year old and start with aeroponics. The AG's are just for seedling start's right now.

That's enough rambling.

Thanks again and if anyone wants to post pics/info of their build feel free to do so.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thank's for the tech pic's. As soon as my parts arrive I'll update with pic's. I'll do a pictorial of the COB build.
I'm also want to convert my Aerogarden Ultra and Aerogarden 7 to led stars. The fluorescent's are expensive and not efficient. I like smokemaster's info on his 1watt led star build. I would like to use that tech for the Aerogarden build's. Once my Cob build's are done I'll pass the AG's to my 9 year old and start with aeroponics. The AG's are just for seedling start's right now.
That's enough rambling.
Thanks again and if anyone wants to post pics/info of their build feel free to do so.
What a coincidence! I'm thinking to convert from CFL to led stripes my AeroGarden too!
Will you use power led, if I understand well? And if so what kind? 3W Power led could be a real boost for seedling!
I want to use Led stripes to go cheaper...

This is what I've got so far.

4 - Alpine 64 plus heat sink's

1 - Meanwell LPV-35-12, to drive the fans

1 - Meanwell HLG-240H-C1750B

I'll order 4 - Cree CXB 3590's, top bin.

As soon as I get some of these home renovations done.LOL

When everything is here, I'll post pics of build.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 73
OCD Chilehead said:
This is what I've got so far.

4 - Alpine 64 plus heat sink's

1 - Meanwell LPV-35-12, to drive the fans

1 - Meanwell HLG-240H-C1750B

I'll order 4 - Cree CXB 3590's, top bin.

As soon as I get some of these home renovations done.LOL

When everything is here, I'll post pics of build.

dont forget cob holders and 18 gauge solid core wire and thermal grease 

N8thaniel said:
dont forget cob holders and 18 gauge solid core wire and thermal grease
Thanks N8. Yeah, I will order some soon. I'm debating on lenses. I think you said I'll get better performance out of them, without the lens. I'm a bit worried about me damaging them more than anything. Those babies are not cheap.

18 gauge, Thanks! You answered another question I was going to ask.

Thanks for all your generosity of knowledge on the subject. It's really appreciated.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks N8. Yeah, I will order some soon. I'm debating on lenses. I think you said I'll get better performance out of them, without the lens. I'm a bit worried about me damaging them more than anything. Those babies are not cheap.

18 gauge, Thanks! You answered another question I was going to ask.

Thanks for all your generosity of knowledge on the subject. It's really appreciated.

lenses focus the light beam= you will have to hang the light higher and it will cover lens=115 degrees lenses=90 degrees)

depending on ur planned hight you prob dont need lenses-anyway reflectors are better imho because of heat/dust buildup in lenses 

plus you dont need the intensity for peppers

My garage gets really dusty. I'm planning on building a actual room. Don't know if it will get done this year.

I'll look into some reflectors.

I'm not growing plants to fruit. Just, Over Winter and starts.

Jerry sent this out today. Posting for reference. Those heatsink's look interesting.

Dear Valued customers,

I am Jerry from KingBrite, my honor to support you!

I am writing to explain some items here:

1. Reflectors:

Some customers feedback KB-D82-90RF is not suitable for the holder 50-2303CR, so we have revise the mould(grind the bottom flat), new reflectors is available now.
If you need to replacement, we will send you new reflectors, of course, we will cover the shipping cost.
2. Heat sink:
We will begin to supply pre-drilled pin fins heat sink in 10days, they are in the drilling now. The dimension available as below:Φ120mm*H70mm, Φ133mm*H70mm, Φ150mm*H70mm, Φ150mm*H70mm, Φ160mm*H70mm, Φ180mm*H70mm.
3. Thermal tape: Thermal tape 35*35mm, thickness 0.5mm, 3W/MK is available, they will be provided for free.
4. Silicone lens: Silicone lens for CXB3590 will be available at June.10, we only design 90degree this time, if no problem, we will also make 120degree.
5. BJB holder for 3070:
BJB holder for CXB3070 is enough in stock, unit price is $1.0usd/pcs
6. MW driver:
HLG-185H-C: Enough in stock
HLG-240H-C: Enough in stock
HLG-320H-C: we only have few in stock, HLG-320H-C1050B and HLG-320H-1400B will be enough at June.10 around.
7. Shipping of driver:
We usually cover the logo of 'MEANWELL' as below, which is easy for custom clearance. Pls take away the sticker when you got it.

Any questions, pls feel free to tell me.

Best regards
Jerry Meng
Sales Manager
----------------------------------------------------------

Shenzhen KingBrite Electronics Co., Ltd
Shenzhen KingBrite Optoelectronics Co., Ltd
HongKong KingBrite Technology Co., Ltd

Tel: 0086 755 29064293
Email: jl@kingbrite.cn

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 65
Scuba_Steve said:

Question...  I just looked up these arrays you mentioned on the Cree website.  It says they run at 2.4A - 3.6A for the 36V version, and 1.2A - 1.8A for the 72V version.  Yet you mentioned that you were running them at 1.4A and then down to 0.7A.  How is this possible?  I assume your using the 36V model because you said they use 100W at 0.7A, which adds up about right.

Also, how big are your shelves?

I have never seen a grower who runs those 36V COBs higher than 1750mA, even if "in theory" they CAN indeed run at much higher amps. Most actually run them at 1400mA which makes for about 50W per COB.

This is also about EFFICIENCY and heat and life span. The CREE COBs gain more efficiency (lumen/Watt) the less they are driven. And of course they produce much less heat. Said differently: It is MUCH, more efficient to run several COBs at low amps, as oppose to run a few number at high amps, like 1750mA++ (Of course you have the disadvantage of higher initial costs since you need more COBs, but you will likely have this in some time because you get more light for your money).

As for the correct nr. of COBs, this depends on (of course) how strong you drive them, the size of your growing area, whether you use reflectors/lenses, distance to the plants etc. I have lenses on mine, I feel uneasy when they come close to 40cm, this with my COBs currently at 1000mA or so, but I haven't seen any bleaching so far at all.

You can sort-of calculate the required nr. of COBs and what amps to drive them with the PPFD formula which you can find somewhere on the forum. It's only a ROUGH estimate (since it is based on how much light is EMITTED, not how much light is actually hitting the plants), but it might be sufficient for a 1st, sloppy calculation.

Hot pepper need anywhere from 350-400 PPFD. In my case I calculated that with a growing area of 1,20x1,10m, I can drive 6x COBs, each at 875mA (very low), and I would get about 400ish +/- PPFD for my area. You could ALSO get to 400 PPFD with 4 LEDs or 5 (just drive them higher), but then there is the problem of spread. I think You cannot spread the light evenly across 1,20x1,10 with 4x COBs, especially not with lenses. This is why I decided I just go with 6 LEDs, to get the same light output, but being able to cover the area better.

N8thaniel said:

lenses focus the light beam= you will have to hang the light higher and it will cover lens=115 degrees lenses=90 degrees)

depending on ur planned hight you prob dont need lenses-anyway reflectors are better imho because of heat/dust buildup in lenses 

plus you dont need the intensity for peppers

Yes and now. I agree that on occasion I have to clean-up dust from INSIDE the lenses, it's a pain in the ass. But I like that the lenses protect the COBs. I am often spraying stuff, like Neem etc..., stuff gets everywhere. Wiping the lenses each time, that stuff would otherwise be on the COBs. (I dont think the reflectors are "closed" at the bottom?)...  My peppers grow insanely currently, there is massive foliage....I am glad I have the lenses for better penetration downwards.

stickman said:
Looking good Chuck! I'm definitely following this thread to see how it comes out for you! :thumbsup:
Hey Rick!

I really neglected this thread. I built the light and is performing flawlessly. No heat from the unit. The fans cool and add a bunch of circulation. I pieced it together here and there after work. Didn't have time to take pics of the progress. All of that is covered by the links to videos in the first post. He does a better job at explaining then my. LOL!

Here is it up and running. Oh one thing I may change is make the frame longer. Can easily spread those cobs out for a bigger area. Thanks again to N8thaniel for valuable information in getting me set up.

Attachments

• IMG_1345.JPG
    IMG_1345.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 58
Back