• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

DIY Rockwool Slab drip setup. HELP!?!

I was reading about rockwool slab Hydro today and thought It would be fun and easy to do outdoors cheaply.

I'm trying to build this system for cheap, I mean CHEAP. I have it down to around $70 but I need some help. Are there flaws in my design?

To regulate the drips is simple. Just add an aquarium air check valve to either the main drip feed or right before each drip stake.

Why not just add a pump with a timer? I figured i could let gravity do the work when all I need is about 30 seconds to 2 minutes to refil the drip reserve on top. Whenever the Pump returns the water, physics will do the rest. With the air check valves I can time the drips to do about 4 gallons an hour which seems standard in the Jetstream systems.

When I turn the pump on I see how long it takes to refill the drip reserve. Then just set a timer to do it 4x a day. The only flaw I see is the timers usually have a 15 minute must on, and I'd have to run the pump dry for a couple minutes. This is all that i think is holding me back besides finding the correct thing to sit the drip reserve on. The whole thing should be less than 5 feet tall.

What do you guys think? Advice?

rockwoolslab2.jpg

Dutch Leach Tray $11.95
Grodan Expert Slab 36"x6"x3" 6.95
Grodan Delta 10 Block 4"x4"x4 8.50
Mag Drive Pump, Free/Have one 0.00
Digital Timer 20.00
10 G Reservoir 10
10G drip feed reserve 10
Clog free Drip Stakes $4.95

Put a hose going from the top container to the bottom one. Place it just under where the water level will come to, as the pump fills the top container to the hole excess water will travel down the hose into the bottom container, your pump will never run dry like this.

Novacastrian said:
Put a hose going from the top container to the bottom one. Place it just under where the water level will come to, as the pump fills the top container to the hole excess water will travel down the hose into the bottom container, your pump will never run dry like this.

Great idea! Im such a dumbass with plumbing!:shocked:

No worries mate, glad to be of assistance. I aint no plumber either but my engineering background pops up its head from time to time!

Thats right on the money mate :P You go alright with these diagrams.

Just be sure that the hose you use can flow faster than the pump can pump and you are set.

Let us know how this goes slab systems are interesting to me. Been kicking around the idea of trying one on teh balcony (balconies happen to be slab-shaped lol). They do make coco coir slabs now too so thats probably which one I'd go with but ain't nothing wrong with rockwool.

Txclosetgrower said:
Let us know how this goes slab systems are interesting to me. Been kicking around the idea of trying one on teh balcony (balconies happen to be slab-shaped lol). They do make coco coir slabs now too so thats probably which one I'd go with but ain't nothing wrong with rockwool.

Yeah this year im trying drip, soil, DWC and i want to try the rockwool. Next year I'll know what works best with me. so far DWC is in the lead lol.

I mocked it up and it totally works, I broke it down and Im drying it out before I seal it. I used 1/4" (1/8" ID) tube for the drip and its a little too slow at full speed. I might have to go with a bigger hose 1/4" ID and then feed each dripper off that main 1/4" ID line. In a couple days after everything is set up nice, i'll post pics.

Why don't you run the pump for 15 min intervals and you can do away with the high reservoir....seems a waste of money and space.

If the pump will do enough pressure to fill the reservoir, it will do enough to water the plants.

I run my pump when the lights are on or 16 hrs/day. Running full time brings a lot more oxygen to the roots. You should oxygenate the nutrient with an airstone.

I know you've been doing this a long time willard, and I think technically you're right, but because this is outside I wanted to use as little electricity as possible.

As far as oxygen and adding an airstone, isnt it true that when using rockwool as the solution falls through the slab it sucks air down through it as it drips. That would make adding an airstone a little redundant. But then again so is the gravity feed lol.
fatalii said:
The design with rockwool is that draining solution pull fresh air into the rockwool from above

FiveSix said:
I know you've been doing this a long time willard, and I think technically you're right, but because this is outside I wanted to use as little electricity as possible.

As far as oxygen and adding an airstone, isnt it true that when using rockwool as the solution falls through the slab it sucks air down through it as it drips. That would make adding an airstone a little redundant. But then again so is the gravity feed lol.

There is a difference between dissolved oxygen in the nutrient solution and oxygen present in the air-spaces of the substrate.

so basically you're saying without an airstone i can be asking for nutrient lockouts and PH swings? Or just to increase the availability of 02 to the roots?

FiveSix said:
so basically you're saying without an airstone i can be asking for nutrient lockouts and PH swings? Or just to increase the availability of 02 to the roots?

I'm just saying that an airstone adds dissolved oxygen to the nutrient solution. Don't think that affects nutrient availability or pH. And an airstone never hurts cause you can't have too much dissolved oxygen.

Another reason to use one is the fact that you plan on using this system outside. This will lead to higher nutrient solution temperatures than you would see inside. The higher the temperature of the water, the less dissolved oxygen it can hold.

Txclosetgrower said:
Another reason to use one is the fact that you plan on using this system outside. This will lead to higher nutrient solution temperatures than you would see inside. The higher the temperature of the water, the less dissolved oxygen it can hold.

That definitely makes sense. I probably will add one just getting into the deatils :-p

Back