• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

DIY Two Bucket Sub-Irrigated Planter

Howdy,

while searchin around this mornin i found this plan for a Sub-Irrigated Planter so i thought i would post it up and get some feedback as well just share the link for those interested in trying it themselves

I will be trying this out this year. With the Siphon tank (Garbage Pail) Im thinking maybe add some fish to the pail and lily pads and bubbler?

I was thinking about doing that this year, but I opted for a single 30 gallon container to hold 2 plants. They all use the same overall earthbox wick concept.

I put 2 plants in an earth box last year and they did great, but I think they needed more room since I could see the roots growing upward out of the soil, so I opted to make my on this year and use a 30 gallon container.

Overall they are very easy to make and outside of soil the only cost is about $17.00, for the container and pvc used for the watering tube and wicking holders.

Making three to start had to get the bits which was a bit more than I wanted to spend - here is the first

Alma Paprika

Making three to start had to get the bits which was a bit more than I wanted to spend - here is the first

Alma Paprika

Don't buy 5 gallon buckets. Head to your closest oriental food restaurant and knock on their back door and ask(yes maybe with hand motions due to a language barrier) for a couple buckets. They should have 5 gal buckets that soy and things come in. Also large diners.
Some people have even been getting 3 or 4 gal buckets from their local grocery store bakery or walmart deli, but they try to charge.

2$ a piece and I dont have to clean them - I know what you mean, but around here they dont give things up because of health reasons and liability
Like I said the most costly thing was the hole saws - I suck at cutting with a saber saw so...
excluding that, cost the buckets finished with soil is around 5 bucks... I've talked to my friends that do drywall and they are going to save buckets for me as we well.

I began researching the global bucket-SIP approach, and collecting food grade containers, at the end of last season.

Currently I have these (various hots) planted both 3.5 and 5 gallon buckets.(still need to cover the top)
IMG_0492.jpg

Here are some Yum Yum Gold (sweet mini bell)planted up in 1 gallon SIP's
IMG_0483.jpg

...a couple green bean pots and larger tote for a few purple onions
IMG_0500.jpg

...and a couple small containers of leaf lettuce
IMG_0495.jpg

...which are doing very well in their SIP
IMG_0496.jpg

CM

I will be passing this link onto some city friends that roof garden. Thanks for posting it.

Hey there Justaguy,
Here is a great site with some great SIP examples(and links) for urban-roof top gardens.
I found it to be very informative and helpful in my quest for info on the approach and methods.

http://www.insideurbangreen.org/diy-sub-irrigation/
CM

Very cool.This was something I had to try. I made one for an orange hab and one for a watermelon as an experiment. Thanks for the idea.

I thought about trying this, but the buckets I have don't allow for a very big reservoir in the bottom bucket. When stacked, they only have about 2 inches of space, so I'm thinking about a "spacer" of some sort. I know some buckets leave about 4 inches when stacked, but I already have these ones. Maybe I could sacrifice one bucket and cut some rings from it for spacers. I will probably try something like this and report back. 6 inches of water would be cool. A "self watering" bucket that needs to be filled every day is not what I'm looking for. I also don't want to spend the time and money stringing them all together and using a large separate reservoir until I know they work good for me.

muskymojo,
In my top photo above,I took a 1 gallon container,cut it down to approximately 4", and drilled holes in it.
I then put it inside a 3.5 gal (white) and put the green 5 gallon bucket on top. Works like a charm.
I've also used 5 or 6 empty beer/soda cans...which are about 4.5 "tall.
CM

I thought about trying this, but the buckets I have don't allow for a very big reservoir in the bottom bucket. When stacked, they only have about 2 inches of space, so I'm thinking about a "spacer" of some sort. I know some buckets leave about 4 inches when stacked, but I already have these ones. Maybe I could sacrifice one bucket and cut some rings from it for spacers. I will probably try something like this and report back. 6 inches of water would be cool. A "self watering" bucket that needs to be filled every day is not what I'm looking for. I also don't want to spend the time and money stringing them all together and using a large separate reservoir until I know they work good for me.
Mine were about 3" and I drilled the 2 1/2" over flow once I have the pots where I want them I will water them with larger plastic garbage can with siphon hoses in each bucket - I am thinking of adding some fish and lily pad for asthetics and fertilzer inside the can

Lucky Dog...
Are you doing a continuous row of siphon hoses between several buckets?

I saw the Global bucket "brothers" video of their siphon system...and was wondering how practical (and/or difficult)it would be with 40 buckets or so.

Any insight or suggestions would be great.
CM

I was going to do one large"supply", like in their video, for all the buckets and you should also be able to sipon from one bucket to the other and they should all balance.

Back