• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Do hotter peppers need longer warmer growing conditions?

This is a question which has arisen from another thread.

In the UK the growing season can be at best unpredictable. Some of us Brits are trying to grow very hot peppers (Scotch Bonnetts and Nagas in my case) but are struggling. On the other hand milder peppers seem to thrive.

So based on that, could it be true that the hotter peppers need a longer hotter season than the milder ones?

I'd really appreciate any comments.

You really have to go variety by variety. I had bhuts growing next to my tabasco peppers this past summer, and the tabascos took way longer even though they are smaller and milder peppers. The previous season my filius blues went atomic before some of my sweet pepper turned red. Maybe if you took an average of all of the superhots and compared them with averages of peppers that are hot, medium and mild you'd find differences, but this is limited because we all grow peppers, not averages.

As background, I am living in Ottawa, Canada and I was told I was crazy for trying to grow bhuts and tabascos this season. I ended up with 215 ripe bhut pods combined on two plants and just under 200 ripe tabasco pods on one plant. My trick was to start the seeds indoors in mid-Feb even though I knew I could not take them out until the second weekend in May. Having said this, there was a pretty hot stretch during July and the first part of August that helped things along in my garden.

You need to start extra-early and carefully select your varieties. What nagas are you growing? Dorset Naga should be better suited for your climate.
Also collect seeds from your best plants/pods for the next season and repeat year after year. You'll end up with varieties more acclimated and cold resistant.
There are many northern growers on the forum you can ask for nice hybrids.

Good luck

Datil

You need to start extra-early and carefully select your varieties. What nagas are you growing? Dorset Naga should be better suited for your climate.
Also collect seeds from your best plants/pods for the next season and repeat year after year. You'll end up with varieties more acclimated and cold resistant.
There are many northern growers on the forum you can ask for nice hybrids.

Good luck

Datil

Only Naga Morich at the moment from a plant I overwintered last year. But thats good advice Datil thanks.

I really don't think they take longer based on heat. I have jalapenos that take longer than bhuts and chocolate habs that take longer than anything. I think it has a lot to do with individual types and personal environmental conditions.

Back