• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Do I Have These Correctly ID'd? (got 'em free, too!)

I hit up HEB Central Market today, to grab some Thai Chiles, and see if they had any fresh Bhut's.

I was in luck...REALL IN LUCK.

I noticed a few packs of Melissa's "Super Hot Chile Mix", with Jamaican Yellow, Black Habanero, Chocolate Habanero, Moruga Scorpion, and Yellow 7 Pot...and a chile or two in each was aging. I asked the manager what kind of discount he'd give me to take them...he said he was going to throw them out...and tossed them into my bag.

So...see if I have this right:

superhotmix1.jpg

supertoymix2.jpg

Top left = Moruga Scorpion
Bottom left = Yellow 7's
Top right = Jamaican Yellow
Middle...duh...but I can't tell the difference between black and choc habs.

The bhuts are obvious...and look pretty decent.

Thanks!

*I'm guessing the slightly reddish habs are the black ones.

Nice peppers you got there but I am just not sure about the yellow 7 and moruga's. If they are what they say, it looks like they were hybridized at some point. nice looking peppers but I would go and get some seeds from someone else if you are wanting to grow them. Nice score!

So which is which on the dark ones? One is fruitier, slightly sweet, has slightly smaller, more irregular seeds, and is hot as hell; instantly, and lasts a while...like on par with my savinas. The other has the heat of a store bought hab or less, and builds up...not real impressed with the heat...kind of bitter/sour, slightly larger, rounder seeds.

were the ones you are calling Bhuts labelled Bhut Jolokia?...I know CM gets a lot of their superhot stuff from Scandinavia and if that is where they came from, chances are, they are Naga Morich...which is not a bad thing...

were the ones you are calling Bhuts labelled Bhut Jolokia?...I know CM gets a lot of their superhot stuff from Scandinavia and if that is where they came from, chances are, they are Naga Morich...which is not a bad thing...

The ones on the bottom right were labeled bhut jolokia (ghost pepper), merchandised by Melissa's. The yellow 7's WERE NOT. Very fruity, super sweet, and no discernable heat, at all. They were tasty (ended up snacking most of them away while seeding and prep for dehydration), but even though I've never tried a 7-pot...there's no way that was it.

I talked to Jim Duffy, and he said that he is Melissa's supplier...so...who knows! Regardless, my face is throbbing from taste testing every one of those choc/black/congo/whatever habs.

So what do you think those monsters (top left) are? Jim said they were MS peppers...can't see a reason he'd have to mislead me, since I'm not directly his customer, and he seems like a solid guy.

LB, which HEB was that? Last visit to CM in Plano they had no fresh hotty hots, only dried bhut jolokia's. A few months back though they did have some okay looking red savina's but the real star was 1/2 pound bags of fresh pequin's! Should have grabbed some then but as it was and is now I have way too many chile's and chile products all over the house.

LB, which HEB was that? Last visit to CM in Plano they had no fresh hotty hots, only dried bhut jolokia's. A few months back though they did have some okay looking red savina's but the real star was 1/2 pound bags of fresh pequin's! Should have grabbed some then but as it was and is now I have way too many chile's and chile products all over the house.

If you have too many chiles in the house, you can always donate them to me. ;)

CM Fort Worth,off Hulen and I-30. I've gotten the pequins before, and they are excellent. I stop in every time I'm in that area, which is every other month or so. Got lucky this time! Same thing with Sprouts...you never know. They always have "habaneros"...and yet they are rarely if ever actually habaneros. I got Red Savinas from them once, and some monster green thing that looked like a bumpy, pissed off naga-something...and was WAY hotter than a hab.

Actually...I have a pic of it next to the largest orange hab I could find at the store... <Kramer voice> LOOK AT IT!!!

309138_1942456374919_1647752299_1621444_1007197973_n.jpg

Dang that big green nasty looks like some sort of hab cross. Double dang on that next month we're moving to Oak Point/Little Elm and even farther away from CM/HEB. Probably a good thang. I go in there for a block of cotswold and walk out with $200 of other $hit!!

CM Fort Worth,off Hulen and I-30.

you realize you were less than 5 miles from my house...that's the CM I use and the produce mgr is a friend and a good guy...

you realize you were less than 5 miles from my house...that's the CM I use and the produce mgr is a friend and a good guy...

I know...Uncle AJ was right around the corner...;)

The manager that stepped up wasn't the produce manager...it was some dude inside.

TB: I have to make unscheduled stops at CM...otherwise, the wife knows I'll buy 50 pounds of peppers, and 16 different hot sauces, lol.

Lucky for me mrs. blues likes a few items that can only be found at CM. Bad for me is that I'm not allowed to go in that joint alone.

sounds like the three of us (LB, TB, and myself) need to have a Saturday guys out thingy and hit all the CM stores in the metroplex...

sounds like the three of us (LB, TB, and myself) need to have a Saturday guys out thingy and hit all the CM stores in the metroplex...

I'll tell my wife we're going to Central Market the Hobby Shop to look at R/C planes the liquor store...aw hell...you two have fun. ;)

all ya gotta tell her is you are coming to see me...bwahhhhhhaaaaahaaaaa

all ya gotta tell her is you are coming to see me...bwahhhhhhaaaaahaaaaa

"Hey babe...I'm heading out to see AJ."

"Remember?...he's the guy I got that big bag of Scorps from over the summer <pause> yes...the ones that ended up in the 3 year old's eye...I know he was screaming 'my eyes are bleeding'..."

We have a winner...I'll go with that!

OK...seriously...if either or both of you want to get together over the next 2 weeks, let me know...I'm working on a "story" now...lol

Back