• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Do i need a permit??

Thread moved. This is not a classified ad.

Technically, the person you send the seeds to needs a permit not the sender, but if it is a regular old envelope that is not labeled from a seed company, there is a very small chance that customs will open it to inspect. I have a permit even though I never used them. I had no problem receiving seeds from Neil at Hippy Seed Company. Capsicum seeds are allowed under the small lots of seeds program and is very easy to obtain a permit. It is just fill out a paper for what seeds and from where and about a month later you receive the permit in the mail. No certificate needed, nothing.

jacob

jjs7741 said:
Technically, the person you send the seeds to needs a permit not the sender, but if it is a regular old envelope that is not labeled from a seed company, there is a very small chance that customs will open it to inspect. I have a permit even though I never used them. I had no problem receiving seeds from Neil at Hippy Seed Company. Capsicum seeds are allowed under the small lots of seeds program and is very easy to obtain a permit. It is just fill out a paper for what seeds and from where and about a month later you receive the permit in the mail. No certificate needed, nothing.

jacob

Hi,

can you please post more details?
I want to import seeds from India and Africa.
Where to apply and whom to approach?
Thanks in advance.

NJA

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
Hi,

can you please post more details?
I want to import seeds from India and Africa.
Where to apply and whom to approach?
Thanks in advance.

NJA

Wordwiz linked the site to get the application. I would recommend using the e-permit system. It was not worth the effort. After you create a user id and apply for security clearance to access the system, you then have to go to a USDA field office to show your ID before you can even apply. Too much hassle, just print the form, fill it out, and mail it in. I took about a month to get it back.

Although, there is a limit on how much can come in at a time. Something like 50 packets of no more than 50 seeds each. Is that going to be enough for you NJA? We all know how much you like your hot stuff.:lol:jk Not sure about importing spices though. Probably need a seperate permit to bring those in.

Hope that helps.
jacob

FWIW,

There are very, very seeds that are only available from overseas, not worth going through the effort of getting a permit.

Mike

jjs7741 said:

jacob

jacob,

I applied for a permit by fax today. It is so easy.
Now I will wait for the permit which will be valid for 3 years.
Great.!!

NJA

Great! Shouldn't be too long before you can start bringing in all those wonderful varieties from India with no worries. Should be a lot easier than waiting for a friend to visit.

jacob

Back